Sold for $26,400 at 2014 Gooding & Company - Amelia Island Sale. Sedan
Chassis #: 1567736
Engine # 1567736
The BMW 1600-2, later known alternatively as the '1602' made its debut in 1966 at the Geneva Motor Show. The 1600-2 benefitted from the stylistic influence of Giovanni Michelotti, who design consultation with the BMW marque began with the earlier 700 line. Power was from the M10 four-cylinder engine. They had an all-independent suspension system with disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear.
Production continued through 1975.
This example is painted in Florida Green and brown, retaining its original color scheme, and was delivered new to California and enjoyed single ownership in Santa Monica from 1969 to 1998. The next owner was Edward Kurek of Ontario, Canada who performed an exacting restoration. Mr. Kurek sold the car in 2003 to a Colorado-based collector of BMWs.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2014
The car has the original owner's manual, service booklet, tool kit, jack, spare, plus coco floor mats, and a BMW scarf and umbrella.
During the crisis of the ‘50's, the 1500 was introduced and with its excellent suspension and striking design, became part of BMW's saving grace during that time period. A total of 334,165 models were produced during its two years of production. Following the 1800 series, a whole New Class sedan was launched during the Spring of 1964, the 1600.
The most legendary series ever introduced by BMW, the 1600 Series was introduced in the late 1960's. A total of 10,278 models were produced. Considered to ‘the best small sedan we ever drove' by the February issue of Car and Driver, the 1600 was reasonably priced and affordable to most at the time. At $2,500, the 1600 series was extremely economical with up to 30 mpg highway.
Beginning with the 1600-2, the two-door model, rolling off the runway, it was an instantaneous hit.
Derivatives of the 1600 were almost immediately introduced, a total of fourteen in all. Unfortunately the 1600 was unable to import, due to the 1968 twin carb engine and regulations from the U.S. Emission controls. The result was the largest four-cylinder engine being installed into the smallest body coupe. The pistons from the 1800 were used in the 1600 to enlarge the 1500's engine. The improvement updated the engine to 1.6 (1573 cc) and 85 hp (63 kW). The four door 1600 model was originally introduced in 1964 and continued to be produced until 1968.
In 1966, the 1602 or 1600-2 was introduced and continued to be sold until 1975. The 1602 came with an increased output of 96 hp (71 kW) and was sold at $2,676. The 1600ti was introduced from 1967 to 1971 and was a limited-production cabriolet that was produced by Baur and showcased the same dual Solex PHH side draft carburetors as on the 1800TI. The 1600ti boasted 105 hp. A total of 1,682 models were produced during it's four years of production. Produced from 1971 for one year, a hatchback 1600 Touring model was introduced briefly.
The 1600ti was discontinued soon after the release of the 2002, and the Cabriolet version was ended in 1971.By Jessica Donaldson