After Harry Stutz sold his stock in the Stutz Company in 1919 to Alan Ryan, he founded two new companies. One was the H.C.S. Motor Car Company and the other was the Stutz Fire Engine Company. The quality and performance Stutz had achieved in his prior company, translated well to his fire trucks. Towns quickly began placing orders.
The company prospered until Harry Stutz left in 1924 to focus all of his time and attention on the H.C.S. Motor Car Company. The Stutz Fire Engine Company continued until 1929 when they were forced to cease production. A.C. Mecklenberg purchased the company and moved it to Hartford City, Indiana. The company continued to produce fire-related items until the early 1940s.
This example shown is a 750 gallon fire truck with rotary gear pump. It is adorned with fire related equipment such as ladders, hoses, axes and more. It had been built specifically for the Darby, PA Fire Department.By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2006