1913 Pathfinder Model 40T
he Parry brothers had built a reputation and solid business on the art of coachbuilding, prior to their emergence into the evolving automotive world. Two Indiana brothers, David Maclean Parry and Thomas H. Parry, purchased the C. Spring Cart Company, located in Rushville, Indiana, in 1882. The company built and repaired wagons, road carts, and other equipment for farmers and business.
In 1884 a fire destroyed the Rushville factory. The brothers moved to Indianapolis where they purchased the Great Woodburn Savern Wheel Company and renamed it to the Parry Manufacturing Company.
In 1888, St. Clair Parry joined the brothers and their endeavors. He was given the tasks of managing the company's finances and serving as secretary and treasure. David served as the company's president and Thomas was in charge of the company's manufacturing.
The business prospered and continued to grow. By 1890, they occupied 20-acres of land and 19 separate structures. They set a production record by producing 1000 vehicles in a single day. By 1896, their number of employee's numbered around 2800 and they were considered to be the largest manufacturer of vehicles in the world.
The second generation of the Parry Family joined the firm in 1898. Two of David's son-in-laws and Edward R. Perry were among those who joined.
By the close of the 1800s, David Maclean Parry had begun building his own horseless carriage. His earliest electric cars failed dismally. In 1906, after the automobile manufacturing industry had evolved and was starting to prove its place in the market, he decided to give it a second chance. He found an opportunity with the Overland Automobile Company. David's carriage wheel supplier decided he wanted out of the automotive business and sold him his automotive interests, which totaled 51-percent, in the Overland Company.
Unfortunately, the recession of 1907 was devastating for the Overland Company and failed to complete the orders that had been taken. This put the Parry Manufacturing Company out of business. Willys had ordered 500 vehicles from Overland and even sent a $10,000 deposit. After time had passed and no vehicles had been delivered, he became concerned. John North Willys saw an opportunity and purchased the company for a small amount of money.
In early 1909, Willys was in control of the company. Parry had lost everything but was still determine to gain success in the automobile business. He organized a group of investors and established the Parry Automobile Company in 1909. Production of the Parry Automobiles lasted for only a short time, ending in 1911. During that time, around 900 Parry Automobiles were constructed, the most successful being the Pathfinder.
The company was reorganized and dubbed the Motor Car Manufacturing Company. The name was generic and broad, but was sufficient and self-explanatory. W. C. Teasdale, a former employee of the Parry Company, was established as president. Production of the Pathfinder automobile began and the Parry Automobiles were phased out. Four years later, the company was renamed to Pathfinder. A year later, the company was out of business.
The assets were liquefied and the factory's were converted to produce shoe polish.by Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2007
Chassis Num: 207709
Engine Num: 8309
Build Num: 1331
This 1913 Pathfinder Model 40 Touring was offered for sale at the 2007 RM Auctions in Amelia Island, Florida where it was estimated to sell for $110,000-$150,000. It is powered by a 281 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine that is capable of producing 40....[continue reading]