The Invicta Car Company was founded by Captain Albert Macklin, an English motoring enthusiast and racing driver. Learning from earlier attempts at manufacturing motor cars he was inspired to offer motorists 'effortless performance', with the quality of a Rolls-Royce and the performance of a Bentley.
In 1925, working in the garage of his country house, Macklin converted his 2-litre Coventry-Climax engined Invicta prototype to house a 2.5-litre six-cylinder, long-stroke, high-torque Meadows engine. The Invicta began to fulfill the founder's dreams and the 2.5-litre model went on sale priced at 595 British pounds, the coachwork was offered at an additional charge.
Miss Violet Cordery, Macklin's sister-in-law, driving the Invicta set record-breaking performances around the world. She broke four world and 33 Italian records at Monza. Her round-the-world trip in 1927 set a record averaging a speed of 25 mph.
This A-Type spent two decades in Nigeria and was acquired by the current owner in England in 1970. It is believed that this is the only Invicta 'High Chassis' in the United States. It rides on a long, 126-inch wheelbase.
The Invicta Car Company was a British based automotive manufacturer that produced cars from 1925 through 1950. In the early 2000s, the name was revised and placed on a high-performance sports car. From 1925 to 1933, the company was based in Cobham, Surrey, England; they moved in 1933 to Chelsea, London, England and remained there until 1938. After World War II, the company resumed production in facilities in Virginia Water, Surrey, England.
The founder of the company was Noel Macklin and Oliver Lyle. Lyle provided the financial support while Macklin was responsible for vehicle assemble; early production transpired in Macklin's garage at his home. Macklin's goal was to create a car that could compete with Rolls-Royce in quality, and Bentley in performance. He began by outfitting his chassis with a long-stroke Meadows 2.5-liter Six-cylinder engine. The cars he sold, much like many others at the time, were merely rolling chassis. It was left up to the customer's discretion as to which coachbuilder should outfit the car, and what bodystyle should be selected.
By 1926 the engine's displacement size had grown to three-liters, improving performance and allowing for heavier bodies to able adapted to the chassis. From 1926 through 1929, around 200 examples were produced.
From 1928 through 1934, Invicta offered a 4.5-liter car, available on a short or long wheelbase. The short wheelbase, also known as the Type A, was 118-inches while the longer version, the Type B, rested comfortably on a 126-inch wheelbase. In total, around 500 examples were created which was a tremendous accomplishment considering the competition from other, more established, marques, and due to the high price tag for the vehicle.
By the early 1930s, the Invicta Company tried to expand their customer base by offering a 1.5-liter six-cylinder overhead cam Blackburne engine. The model was called the 12/45 and offered beginning in 1932. A supercharged version, the 12/90, came available the following year. This improved horsepower from 45 to 90 bhp.
In the post World War II era, the Invicta Company continued to utilize the Meadows engine for their automobiles. Production was low, with less than 20 being produced during this time perior. The company was purchased by Frazer Nash in 1950.By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2007