The company organized by several individuals, including W.E. Stone, George J. Weitz, Philip Lehr, Frank R. Wall and Charles Eby, in late 1905 was the Forest City Motor Car Company. It was organized in Cleveland, Ohio and a prototype example was created. With an example created, the individuals went seeking financial backing. When backing was found in Massillon, the Company was moved south and the name was changed to Jewell.
The design of the Jewell was similar to many other early road going vehicles. There were tall wheels, a single cylinder engine, and a wood frame. The wheelbase measured 60-inches and was available as either the Model B Runabout or the Model C Runabout. For 1907, the Model D and Model E were sold.
The car was not very popular, so the company made the decision to drop one of the letters (the 'l') from the name, resulting in 'Jewel.' For 1908, horsepower improved slightly on the single-cylinder engine to 10. A four-cylinder engine soon became available, offering 40 horsepower. The cars fitted with this engine were known as the Jewel Model 40 and rode on a 120-inch wheelbase.
As 1909 came to a close, the Jewel Motor Car Company went through drastic changes. The individual responsible for much of the financial backing, Mr. Herbert A. Croxton, was joined by Forrest M. Keeton. By now, Mr. Croxton had become president of the company and the name was soon changed to the Croxton-Keeton Motor Company.
Mr. Keeton from Detroit had a background in automobiles. He had been associated with the Pope-Toledo and the De Luxe car companies.
The Croxton-Keeton Company continued until early 1914. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2009