The world debut of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan once again marks the epitome of aesthetic design and supreme driving pleasure in the upper midrange segment. Through its sporting and elegant looks, driving dynamics typical of the brand, outstanding efficiency as well as innovative comfort and safety features, the sixth generation of BMW's executive express convincingly reflects the supreme standard of the world's most successful manufacturer of premium cars throughout the entire process of development.
With the longest wheelbase in the segment, a long and sleek engine compartment lid, short overhangs front and rear and a coupé-like, graceful roofline, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan stands out clearly from the competition. Overall, the aesthetic looks of the car are clearly determined by perfectly balanced proportions. Design features typical of the brand are to be found both at the front with its BMW kidney grille inclined slightly forward and on the strikingly chiselled engine compartment lid, in the stylish and elegant side view of the car, and on the muscular rear end. Within the interior modern function and a superior ambience come together in perfect harmony, unmistakable style and clear orientation to the driver in the cockpit guaranteeing a truly unique driving and travelling experience.
The most advanced drivetrain and suspension technologies ensure supreme sportiness and an even higher standard of motoring comfort all in one. At the same time optional Dynamic Driving Control enables the driver to set the suspension individually to his personal requirements. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan is available with Adaptive Drive encompassing Dynamic Damper Control and Dynamic Drive stability control, as well as BMW's Integral Active Steering.
The new BMW 5 Series Sedan is making its debut with one eight-cylinder and three six-cylinder petrol engines as well as two six-cylinder diesels. The range is rounded off by a four-cylinder turbodiesel with an aluminium crankcase and common-rail direct injection. Maximum output in this case of 135 kW/184 hp makes the BMW 520d fitted as standard with Auto Start Stop the new efficiency benchmark in its segment. Average fuel consumption in the EÚ5 test cycle is just 5.0 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 56.5 mpg imp), the CO2 emission rating is 132 g/km (provisional figures). The top-of-the-range BMW 550i comes with an eight-cylinder boasting BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and High Precision Injection for maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp.
The straight-six with BMW TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC in the BMW 535i delivers maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp, while the two straight-six power units featuring High Precision Injection and lean-burn operation develop 190 kW/258 hp in the BMW 528i and, respectively, 150 kW/204 hp in the BMW 523i. Straight-six diesels with the most advanced technology give the BMW 530d maximum output of 180 kW/245 hp and the BMW 525d an equally impressive 150 kW/204 hp. Fitted with optional BMW BluePerformance technology, the BMW 530d fulfils the EÚ6 emission standard. And it almost goes without saying that all versions of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan comply in full with the EÚ5 standard in Europe.
All versions of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan are available as an option with BMW's new eight-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com) The BMW 550i comes as standard with BMW's automatic transmission optimised for efficiency, just like EPS Electric Power Steering featured on all models. BMW EfficientDynamics technologies are naturally featured as standard in appropriate combinations on each model, with features such as Brake Energy Regeneration, a gearshift point indicator, active air flap control, and on-demand operation of ancillary units including a detachable a/c compressor. Intelligent lightweight construction, finally, is ensured by features such as the doors, engine compartment lid, front side panels and suspension components made of aluminium.
The driver assistance systems offered for the first time in the context of BMW ConnectedDrive include a Parking Assistant, Surround View, collision warning with application of the brakes in conjunction with Active Cruise Control plus Stop & Go, and a new Speed Limit Device. Further features also available are Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, a Head-Úp Display, BMW Night Vision with detection of individual persons, and a back-up camera.
The world debut of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan opens up the latest chapter in a truly impressive story of success. In the course of five model generations, overall sales of the BMW 5 Series already amount to more than 5.5 million units. Now the new model is based on a newly developed vehicle architecture also featured in the BMW 7 Series luxury sedans. Joint production of the BMW 5 Series Sedan and the BMW 7 Series at BMW Plant Dingolfing, together with the extensive use of shared components, ensures highly efficient production with a supreme standard of quality following the most demanding benchmarks in the market.Source - BMW
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo
• BMW is once again defining a brand-new segment in the automobile market. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines elegance, space, comfort and variability in truly unique style. As an attractive, future-oriented extension of the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is quite unparalleled worldwide in the upper middle segment, combining the characteristic features of a prestige saloon, a modern, highly versatile Sports Activity Vehicle, and a classic Gran Turismo in brand-new, unprecedented style.
• Through its body design, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines the proportions so typical of a BMW, an elegantly stretched silhouette and a coupé-like roofline, as well as four doors with frameless windows to create one complete, harmonious unit. The front view of the car animates powerful dynamism through the sheer presence of the upright BMW kidney grille, large air intakes and dual round headlights slanted back at an attractive angle. For the first time the daytime driving light function is provided by corona rings with LED technology. Boasting clear-cut horizontal lines, the rear end comes with that characteristic look of width, power and muscle further enhanced by L-shaped rear light clusters with homogenously illuminated rows of lights in LED technology.
• The luxurious and, for a car with this kind of coupé-like silhouette, surprisingly generous and variable interior gives both the driver and passengers a spontaneous feeling of comfort and well-being. This superior feeling is further enhanced by comfortable entry to the car, the slightly elevated seating position, the large window areas, the optional panorama glass roof, as well as exquisite materials and supreme quality of finish.
• Flexibly adjustable, the interior of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo enables the driver and passengers to vary the generous space inside the car as they wish to their individual, personal requirements. In their standard position, the rear seats offer the passengers the same kind of legroom as in the BMW 7 Series combined with the same headroom as in the BMW X5. In this configuration, luggage capacity is already an ample 440 litres or 15.4 cu ft. Thanks to the partition behind the rear seats, the passenger and luggage compartments are separated acoustically and in terms of climate conditions from one another like in a saloon. When required, the rear seats may be moved individually to the front by up to 100 millimetres or almost 4', with legroom still remaining the same as in the BMW 5 Series Saloon and an increase in luggage capacity to 590 litres or 20.7 cu ft. And after folding down the rear-seat backrests together with the partition, finally, luggage space increases to its maximum capacity of 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.
• Offering unique functionality, the two-piece tailgate on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo provides exceptional variability and maximum comfort in loading the luggage compartment. Opening the small, sedan-like luggage compartment lid beneath the rear window, with the tailgate as such remaining closed, the driver and passengers are able to conveniently load the rear compartment without causing any unpleasant noise, draughts or changes in temperature within the passenger compartment. To load large and bulky objects, on the other hand, all they have to do is open the large tailgate for maximum convenience.
• The sheer space and the inspiring, modern design of the interior team up to provide a truly luxurious ambience and the supreme long-distance comfort of a modern Gran Turismo. The sleek surfaces on the front and rear door panels merging smoothly into one another as well as the horizontal arrangement of the instrument panel enhance the impression of supreme generosity. Seat comfort, headroom and elbow freedom are all of the highest standard otherwise to be found only in the luxury performance class. The slightly elevated seating position, the clear, structured arrangement of the controls, BMW's new iDrive with its Control Display up to 10.2 inches in size, and the cockpit in Black Panel technology all help to give the driver maximum supremacy at all times. The rear seats may be adjusted individually fore-and-aft and also come with individual adjustment of the backrest angle. To meet the greatest demands in terms of individual luxury, finally, two individual comfort seats at the rear are available as an option.
• The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is entering the market with a choice of no less than three ultra-modern drive units carrying over BMW -EfficientDynamics into a new segment in the automobile world. The BMW 530d Gran Turismo offers a truly unique, unparalleled balance of driving experience and fuel economy with average fuel consumption in the EÚ test cycle of just 6.5 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 43.5 mpg imp, and a CO2 rating of 173 g/km. The two gasoline models also set new standards for efficiency in their respective engine class.
• As a world-first achievement introducing a new and even more efficient range of engines, the BMW 535i Gran Turismo comes with the first straight-six gasoline engine featuring TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC and developing maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp. The top engine in the range, finally, is the V8 TwinPower Turbo delivering maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo. The BMW 530d Gran Turismo, in turn, comes with a 180 kW/245 hp straight-six diesel of the latest generation with an all-aluminium crankcase and common-rail direct fuel injection. All engines naturally fulfil the EÚ5 emission standard.
Engine : 2.0 L., 4-cylinder
Power: 177 hp
Torque: 258 ft-lbs
6-speed Manual6-speed Automatic
• All model variants come as standard with the eight-speed automatic transmission previously to be admired only in the BMW 760i twelve-cylinder luxury saloon. Featuring an innovative configuration of gearsets, a unique level of internal efficiency, and the same low weight and compact dimensions as a six-speed automatic transmission, this high-tech automatic combines gearshift comfort, dynamic performance, and motoring efficiency of the highest calibre. The most advanced engine technology, the innovative eight-speed automatic transmission, and a wide range of unique technologies in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics allow the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo to set new standards also in terms of economy and emission management.
• The modern, demanding suspension technology of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is designed for both fascinating driving dynamics and supreme grand touring comfort. The double track control arm front axle and the Integral-V rear axle exclusive to BMW are made largely of aluminium. Standard features also include rear axle air suspension as well as hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with a steering servo pump operating on demand. Integral Active Steering is available as an option, combining active steering of the front wheels with rear-wheel steering varying according to driving conditions and current requirements.
• Featured as standard, Dynamic Drive Control influences not only the gearshift dynamics, but also the gas pedal and steering assistance control map. In combination with optional Adaptive Drive, the dampers with infinite variation on both the inbound and rebound stroke contribute to the superior suspension function. In addition to the NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ programs, the driver also has the choice of the COMFORT mode available directly from the Dynamic Drive Control button on the centre console. A further point is that intervention in DSC Dynamic Stability Control is reduced in the SPORT+ setting and in the traction mode.
• The optimised body structure in conjunction with appropriately coordinated and electronically masterminded passive safety systems ensures maximum occupant safety at all times. These systems include three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all seats, frontal and side airbags as well as head airbags at the side, crash-activated headrests at the front, runflat tyres and a tyre defect indicator. The standard features include foglamps and adaptive brake lights, with bi-xenon dual headlights including a daytime driving light function as well as Adaptive Headlights with variable light distribution and Bending Lights all coming as an option.
• The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is also available as an option with the complete range of features from BMW ConnectedDrive, including Cruise Control with Stop & Go, a High-Beam Assistant, Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, BMW Night Vision with detection of individual persons, Side View, Top View, and a back-up camera. Over and above these outstanding features, BMW ConnectedDrive also offers BMW Online, BMW Assist, BMW TeleServices, as well as an Enhanced Emergency Call function automatically determining and reporting the current location of the car.
• The wide range of standard features offered by the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo includes automatic air conditioning, an audio system, an AÚX-In connector bush, and the Integrated Owner's Manual. Optional features include four-zone automatic air conditioning (standard in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo), telecommunication and navigation systems, a ÚSB port, an 80 GB hard disc for navigation data and the user's private music collection, a multi-channel audio system, a DAB double tuner, a DVD entertainment system at the rear, a Head-Úp Display, a panorama glass roof optimised for noise control and attractive design, as well as an electrically swivelling trailer hook.Source - BMW