1964 Bentley S3 Continental
Chassis #: BC8CX
Engine #: 4CBC
The Bentley S2 fitted with V-8 power was introduced in 1959. Power-assisted steering was now standard and there was no longer the option of a manual gearbox. The sole gearbox was Rolls-Royce's own four-speed automatic unit.
The Continental was an exclusively built coachbuilt automobile. The firms of H.J. Mulliner, Park Ward and James Young all offered bodies on the Continental S2 chassis, which differed from the standard version by its four-leading shoe front brakes, shorter radiator and, up to chassis number BC99BY, higher gearing.
There were only 312 Bentley S3 Continental of all types. Chassis number BC8XC is one of only 76 bodied by H.J. Mulliner, Park Ward Ltd after the two firms' merger. It is a left-hand drive model and one of only 28 built. It was ordered new by H.R. Owen Ltd for H.O.H. Silley of Royal Albert Dock, London and delivered on December 16, 1963. It was originally painted Deep Bronze Green with beige leatherette. The car has since been repainted in deep burgundy with matching merlot dyed leather. It also has been given a recent cosmetic restoration.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2009
In 2009, this S3 Continental Drop Head Coupe was offered for sale by Bonhams Auction at the Quail Lodge Resort and Golf Club in Carmel, CA. It was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $170,000. The lot left the auction unsold.
The Bentley S3, a 4-door saloon with seating for five, was produced from 1962 through 1965 with a total of 1630 examples being produced. It was basically a modified and modern version of the Bentley S2. Some examples were bodied by Park Ward, H.J. Mullner, James Young, and others, while most received coachwork from the marque. A limited number of 32 examples were created on a stretched wheelbase adding to the interior comfort for the passengers.
In comparison to the S2, there were minor differences; most were aesthetics appearing near the front of the vehicle. The front panels had been restyled, twin headlamps had been fitted, and a smaller bumper was used. The interior's split-bench seat was now replaced by individual seats.
Under the hood was the tried-and-true Rolls-Royce OHV eight-cylinder engine. It had an aluminum-silicon alloy cylinder block with cast-iron cylinder liners. Fitted with two SU carburetors, it was capable of producing around 200 horsepower. Zero-to-sixty took just under eleven seconds while top speed was achieved at around 116 mph. Fuel economy was low, with around 13 mpg combined. Power was sent to the rear wheels courtesy of a four-speed automatic gearbox.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2010
The S3 was the final iteration of the S-Series. It was replaced by the T-Type, a derivative of the Rolls-Royce Shadow.