Sold for $22,000 at 2009 RM Sothebys. For an all-too-brief period in the late 1940s and early 1950s, the name of Allard was one of the most revered of all motor manufacturers. The company's road cars were some of the most popular among wealthy enthusiasts, especially in the United States. The racing versions were more than competitive on the track, and the company's founder, Sidney Allard, was one of Britain's leading competitive drivers, winning the British Hillclimb Championship in 1949 and the Monte Carlo Rally in 1952.
Born to wealthy parents in South London, England in 1910, Sydney Allard, would have a tremendous career as a mechanic, race car driver, and car company owner. At age 18 he began work in a garage as an apprentice mechanic; this was also the time Allard began his racing career. Initially, he specialized in cross-country trials in a Morgan. After a year he began racing at such memorable tracks as Brooklands and Donnington Park.
The first automobile built by Allard was in 1930 and it was given a Ford flathead V8 engine. Demand for the vehicle soon escalated, so Allard set up an assembly line to cope with this new interest. During the Second World War, the company focused on building military vehicles. When peace time resume, the company resumed automobile production with the introduction of their K1, a simple two-seater convertible powered by a flathead V8. The bodies used steel panels draped over traditional wood framing.
The company produced both two-seat and four-seat models in both open and closed configuration. The road-going cars were built to support his racing endeavors.
This Allard M-Type is powered by a 59A Mercury 95-horsepower motor and mated to a three-speed manual transmission. Inside, there is an upholstered rear compartment without additional seating. There are trafficator turn signal semaphores used to signal a direction change. There are teardrop front fenders with built-in headlights, a curved roofline, and skirted rear wheels.
In 2009, this 1948 Allard M Type Coupe was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $35,000-$45,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for the sum of $22,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009
Sold for $63,250 at 2011 RM Sothebys. Englishman Sydney Allard created many innovative performance machines using readily available low-cost parts from marques such as Ford. His first car, a four-seat Ford, was entered in the 1934 Tourist Trophy. The car wore bodywork from an old Grand Prix Bugatti and rode atop a shortened wheelbase. Work continued over the years on several other personal vehicles, before Allard began selling cars to the public in 1946.
The M1 Drophead Coupe was the first postwar Allard model, introduced in 1947. It had full-length doors and a folding convertible top. Under the bonnet was a 3.6-liter Ford V-8, with a gearbox from Ford of England's V-8 Pilot model. During its four-year production run, a total of 500 examples were produced.
This Drophead Coupe example was purchased by the current owner in September of 2006. The car is painted in black with a matching top and upholstery. Inside, there are Smiths instruments and an unrestored Bluemels 'Brooklands' steering wheel. The 'flathead' Ford V8 engine produces 85 horsepower and there are four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Monterey auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $60,000 - $80,000. At auction, the lot was sold for the sum of $63,250, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2011
In 1946 Sidney Allard had launched his K1 roadster, using a stockpile of engines and parts not needed following the war effort. Between 1946 and 1949 he eventually also built the J1, L and M series.
The Model M Coupe is one of the rarer Allard models built - only a handful were ever produced. It was sold new in the United Kingdom but soon made its way to Canada. It was discovered there in 2004 in very rough condition. A two-year restoration followed.
Most of these cars were equipped with a Ford flathead V-8, which is the case here. This motor produces 95-110 horsepower.
For a brief period in the late 1940's and early 1950's, the name Allard was one of the most revered of all motor car manufacturers. The company's road cars were exceptionally popular among wealthy enthusiast, especially in the United States. The racing versions were extremely competitive on the tracks, and the company's founder, Sidney Allard, was a well-known and capable driver, considered among Britain's best. He would win the 1949 British Hillclimb Championship in 1949, and also the prestigious Monte Carlo Rally in 1952.
Introduced in 1947, the M1 Drophead Coupe was the first postwar Allard model with substantial bodywork, complete with full-length doors and a folding convertible top. Seating for four and more elaborate trim than the more competition-oriented Allard models rounded out the more civilized M1. The M1 was quite successful, with Allard producing 500 during a four-year run. The Allard Model Company of England only produced a total of 1,900 cars from 1945 - 1958. Sidney Allard loved two things: speed and the Ford flathead motor which the M1 combined. With an all-aluminum body it has a 250 horsepower 337 cubic-inch Ford V8 engine with three carburetors and dual exhaust. The car sports a three-speed manual transmission, independent swing-axle front suspension, beam-type rear axle with torque tube and transverse leaf spring and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
This rare M1 has just completed a body-off frame, nut and bolt concours restoration of the highest standards. It is powered by a 337 cubic-inch Ford V8 that produces 250 horsepower, which propels the lightweight all-aluminum body with style and grace. It also features a three-speed manual transmission, independent swing axle front suspension and four wheel hydraulic drum brakes.
The early Allard Special's used lightweight construction and a relatively powerful American V8 engine. After World War II, Allard progressed from special-builder to motor manufacturer. His post-war cars continued to employ the same formula of lightweight construction and an abundance of American V8 power. It helped Allard establish a formidable competition record in the immediate post-war years. Although a relatively small shop, Sydney himself finished 3rd at LeMans in a J2 sports racer and won outright at the Monte Carlo Rally in a P-Type saloon.
The Allard M-Type was introduced in 1947 and was a more civilized version of the L Model. It had Allard's trademark independently suspended 'split' front axle and transverse-leaf rear end. The chassis was 6-inches longer than the K-Type, providing extra room to accommodate two rear passenger seats. The M was given Ford components, including the 3622cc flat head V8. Between 1947 and 1950, approximately 500 examples were produced.
This M-Series example was completed at the Clapham works in 1948. It was originally sold in London to a Mr. Thomas Oliver Wacher of Canterbury, Kent, England. The car would remain in Mr. Wacher's care until 1972, at which point he transferred ownership to his son-in-lay, Mr. J.W. Mannington of Marden. The M-Series stayed in the Mannington family for the next 16 years, until passing it to Brian Sharp in 1988. Mr. Sharp had the car restored over the next several years to its original factory specifications. The work included building a new ash frame for the bodywork, and rebuilding all mechanical components. The current owner purchased the restored M-Series in 1998. Soon after, it was brought to the United States.
It is believed that the car has been driven just 5,000 miles since its restoration was completed. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016