Audi releases model year 2010 changes and pricing
• Audi is the first car manufacturer in the Ú.S. to offer FSI direct injection
technology in all of its gasoline cars.
• Innovative 3D navigation with SIRIÚS traffic in all models (except A8)
• Two TDI clean diesel models launched in the Ú.S. during 2009
• All Audi models with available or standard LED daytime running lights
HERNDON, Va. – Audi today announced pricing and equipment changes for its model year 2010 vehicles. As the first car company in the Ú.S. to equip 100 percent of its gasoline engines with FSI direct injection technology beginning with model year 2010, it continues its progress in gaining market share in the Import High Group of luxury manufacturers. Audi began racing with FSI direct injection technology in the R8 FSI prototype racing sports car in 2000 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and American Le Mans Series. Since this technology became available for Ú.S. Audi customers in late 2004 with the introduction of the 2005 A6 3.2 FSI quattro, the list of Audi vehicles sold in the Ú.S. with FSI direct injection technology has continued to grow. The following information lists changes, highlights, and pricing by model for the 2010 model year. All information is subject to change.
2010 Audi A3
The Audi A3 has both pioneered and led a new premium compact car segment since its Ú.S. introduction in 2005. In 2009, worldwide sales of the successful A3 had exceeded 1.9 million, and that number continues to swell today.
To ensure that the 2010 A3 stays ahead of the ever-growing pack, Audi has made available a number of upscale features, including upgraded wheels and standard Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights on Premium Plus models. Every 2010 A3 showcases the sporty Audi DNA with S line exterior upgrades now standard on all models and quattro® all-wheel drive available with the award-winning 2.0 TFSI® engine.
The pulling power of torque is the signature performance feature in all diesel models, and the A3 TDI clean diesel is no different. Offering 140 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque, this model performs briskly and efficiently with unmatched performance with its EPA-estimated 30/42 city/highway fuel efficiency. With a Ú.S. dealer market introduction set for early December 2009, this new clean diesel engine variant is expected to become more than 40 percent of A3 sales volumes in the Ú.S.
In 2010, Audi remains the standard by which luxury interiors are judged, and the 2010 A3 is no exception. Buyers can choose wood-accented interior details for the first time in 2010, and leather/alcantara seats are available on Titanium Sport models as well. The A3 now is available in either Premium or Premium Plus trim, allowing the buyer to add popular luxury features with one convenient click.A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel model year 2010 Pricing
A3 TDI clean diesel with S tronic front wheel drive $29,950 (Dec. 2009 Ú.S. introduction)A3 2.0 TFSI model year 2010 Pricing and Model Changes
(excluding $825 destination charge, taxes, title, options and dealer charges)
A3 2.0T FWD (Manual) $27,270
A3 2.0T FWD (S tronic®) $28,750
A3 2.0T quattro (S tronic®) $30,850
• 3.2 FSI engine option discontinued
• S line exterior equipment now standard on every A3
• Titanium package now is Titanium Sport Package (which includes sport suspension and seats)
• Leather/alcantara seat now available as part of Titanium Sport packages
• Wood interior trim now available
• Xenon headlights with LED DRL standard on Premium Plus model
• Wheels upgraded in appearance
• TDI clean diesel introduced in late November / early December 2009 with S tronic front wheel drive.
Engine : 2.0 L., 4-cylinder
Power: 140 hp
Torque: 236 ft-lbs
Engine : 2.0 L., 4-cylinder
Power: 200 hp
Torque: 207 ft-lbs
6-speed Automatic, 6-speed Manual
Key Summary Points
• A3 is the most versatile competitor for its size, dimensions, and 5-door flexibility.
• 2.0 TDI clean diesel model for 50 states introduced in late Fall 2009 with 42 highway mpg; this new powertrain makes the A3 the only luxury compact offering with clean diesel as well as the only luxury car to achieve 42 mpg highway.
• TDI clean diesel is expected to be over 40% of all Ú.S. A3 sales
• Typical equipment for TDI (MSRP $29,950) comes with Premium Plus ($2,000) and
Open Sky Sunroof ($1,100). Also, Cold weather Package ($500) is typically equipped
on a regional basis, and Audi Navigation plus is only on about 15% of all A3 models.
• Audi is the first car company in the Únited States to sell 100% of its gasoline engines with FSI direct injection technology beginning with model year 2010. Audi began racing with FSI direct injection technology in 2000 at Le Mans and the American Le Mans Series with the R8 FSI prototype race car. Once this technology first became available for Ú.S.
consumers in late 2004 with the introduction of the 2005 A6 3.2 FSI, the list of Audi vehicles with FSI direct injection technology has continued to grow.Market
• Key competitors for 2.0 TFSI: Mini Cooper/Cooper S, Volvo C30 and S40, BMW 1-series
• Key competitors for 2.0 TDI clean diesel: Lexus HS 250h, Toyota Prius, Honda InsightDesign
• Audi signature LED daytime running lights with available bi-xenon headlights
• Únique tail lights with LED light guides
• Enhanced exterior and interior design in 2009MY with a new wheel program
• Versatile interior design, providing unmatched utility for urban environmentsDynamics
• Speed-sensitive electromechanical power steering
• High rigidity due to the use of tailored blanks for adapting steel grade and thickness to the material stresses Safety
• IIHS 'Top Safety Pick' for top frontal, side, and rear crash ratingsPowertrain
• 2.0 TFSI direct injection engine with manual or S tronic (dual-clutch automatic)
o Stats: 200 hp, 207 lb-ft torque
• Manual front-wheel drive – 0-60 7.1s; 21/30 city/hwy
• S tronic front-wheel drive – 0-60 6.9s; 22/28 city/hwy
• S tronic quattro permanent all-wheel drive – 0-60 6.7s; 21/28 city/hwy
• 2.0 TDI clean diesel with S tronic and front wheel drive
o Stats: 140 hp / 236 lb-ft torque
• S tronic front-wheel drive - 0-60 9.1s: 30/42 city/hwy
• 50 state legal clean diesel technology
Standard Equipment Changes with 2010 A3 for ÚSA
• 2.0 TDI 50-state clean diesel introduced late Fall 2009 as a 2010 model year vehicle.
• 3.2 (non FSI) engine discontinued. Remaining engines are 2.0 TFSI gasoline and
2.0 TDI clean diesel.
• Reduced line structure from 3 lines to 2. Now 'A3 Premium' and 'A3 Premium Plus'
• S line exterior made standard for 2010 model year with upgraded wheel program.
• Titanium Sport Package added as an option to include titanium-optic wheels, black grille, sport suspension and seats.
• Leather/alcantara S-line seat now included as part of Titanium Sport Package.
• Bi-xenon headlights with LED DRL standard on 'Premium Plus' model.
• Navigation plus package now includes RDS traffic data with free lifetime subscription.
• Audi Magnetic Ride discontinued.
• Wood interior trim now available.Launch Timing
• 2010 ÚSA Audi A3 goes on sale in the third quarter 2009 as a 2010 model year vehicle. It is built in Ingolstadt, Bavaria, Germany.
• 2010 ÚSA Audi A3 2.0 TDI goes on sale in late Fall 2009 as a 2010 model year vehicle.Source - Audi
The 2010 Audi A3Únited States Lineup:
A3 2.0 TFSI front-wheel drive manual or S tronic with dual-clutch technology
A3 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic
A3 2.0 TDI clean diesel front-wheel drive S tronic
Audi is the first car company in the Ú.S. to sell 100 percent of its gasoline engines with FSI direct injection technology beginning with model year 2010. In 2000, Audi began racing with FSI direct injection technology in the R8 FSI prototype race car at Le Mans and the American Le Mans Series. Since this technology first became available for Ú.S. consumers in late 2004 with the introduction of the 2005 A6 3.2 FSI, the list of Audi vehicles with FSI direct
injection technology has continued to grow.
The 2010 Audi A3 is rewriting the book on efficiency with the addition of an all-new 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine. The multi-port, turbocharged engine delivers the power and drivability that luxury owners demand while offering unprecedented fuel economy and low emissions. Likewise, the 2010 A3 maintains its sporty DNA, with S line exterior upgrades standard on all models and available quattro all-wheel drive. The choice of a robust 2.0 TFSI engine or the remarkably efficient 2.0 TDI continues to cement the A3's spot as a class-leader.
The Design: Elegant and Functional
The Audi A3 created an entirely new premium compact car segment when the first-generation model debuted globally in 1996, and the car has enjoyed tremendous success since it arrived in the Ú.S. in 2005. By 2009, Audi had sold more than 1.9 million A3s worldwide, and that number continues to swell today. The combination of quality, craftsmanship and efficiency continues to make the A3 a leader in its segment.
The 2010 Audi A3 retains many of the same attractive style elements introduced in 2009. The leaning hood and fenders are expressively styled, and the bumper keeps its large, easily identifiable single-frame radiator grille. Audi DNA is apparent from front to rear, thanks to a steeply raked windscreen and forward leaning roofline. For the first time, Premium Plus models come equipped with Audi xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights as standard equipment. The 2010 Audi A3 also will be available with new wheel choices for an upgraded appearance.
The profile of the 2010 A3 presents an athletic, capable stance. Short overhangs in the front and rear give the A3 a ready-for-anything stance, and the Audi dynamic bodyline instantly associates the vehicle with its sporty cousins. From
the rear, the A3 continues to display handsome family traits. Brilliant LED tail
lamps dominate the tail of the vehicle, and a large rear hatch makes loading and
unloading easy. The rear bumper boasts a bold diffuser to improve aerodynamics as well as muscular dual exhaust tips.
All 2010 A3 models now come equipped with sporty and stylish S line appearance upgrades. Those include aggressive front and rear fascias with fog lights, rear spoiler and unique wheel options.The Interior: Spacious and Comfortable
Buyers can choose wood-accented interior details for the first time on the 2010
A3. Fine materials abound, giving the A3 an elegant, luxurious feel. Supportive
leather seats welcome the driver and passenger, and alcantara inserts are available on the A3 Premium Plus. Buyers also may choose six-step heated front seats as part of an additional package.
The A3 has easy to read instruments with black dials and red needles, and a shift indicator displays the recommended gear in any given circumstance in the driver information system – a nod to the important role of the driver in efficiency. An available Bose surround stereo system offers buyers 10 speakers and a sixchannel
The Engines: Clean and Efficient
The 2010 Audi A3 can be had with one of two technologically advanced engines. The first is a 2.0 TFSI gasoline engine with 200 hp and 207 lb-ft of torque. The engine uses a cast iron block and a lightweight aluminum cylinder head along with a raft of Audi technology to increase efficiency and power. Intercooled turbocharging, FSI fuel injection and throttle by wire combine to achieve up to 21 mpg city and 30 mpg highway in front-wheel drive configuration.
New for 2010, a 2.0 TDI clean diesel delivers 140 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. While the power and torque figures are impressive, the real TDI story revolves around fuel economy and emissions. The 2.0 TDI can yield 30 mpg in the city and an unmatched 42 mpg on the highway, while still maintaining a ÚLEV-II emissions rating.The Transmissions: Strong and Precise
The A3 2.0 TFSI can be had with two transmission choices. A six-speed manual transmission is available on the A3 2.0 TFSI front-wheel drive. The manual transmission is a perfect match for A3, whose short, sporty gear ratios make
excellent use of the quick power delivery of the 2.0 TFSI.
A six-speed S Tronic dual-clutch transmission also is available in the A3 2.0
TFSI front-wheel drive, A3 2.0 TFSI quattro and the A3 2.0 TDI . A unique dualclutch transmission, the S Tronic can perform near instantaneous shifts in just
0.2 seconds. This staggering performance is credited to dual input shafts and twin clutch packs, which enable the computer to have the next anticipated gear 'at the ready,' before it is selected. While an automatic mode provides an uninterrupted stream of power from either engine, the driver also may manually select gears via either a console-mounted shifter or optional steering wheel mounted paddle shifters.Safety: An Únwavering Dedication
The 2010 Audi A3 provides a comprehensive network of safety features designed to protect occupants. Chief among these is the lightweight and rigid body structure of the A3. Designed with a stiff cabin shell and specific crumple zones, the A3 directs collision energy down and away from passengers. In addition, front and side air bags protect occupants in the front row. Rear passengers also are protected from side impact by curtain air bags. The 2010 A3 uses seat belts with automatic pretensioners to reduce the risk of postcollision injury.Options: More from Audi
Premium and Premium plus packages are available on both the A3 2.0 TFSI and the A3 TDI. The A3 Premium includes standard equipment like Electronic Stability Program® with an Anti-lock Brake System and Electronic Brake Pressure Distribution. Servotronic® power steering, Audi hill hold assist and brake assist complete the compliment of driving aids standard on the A3 Premium. The exterior of the A3 Premium includes brilliant halogen headlamps and two fog lights mounted low in the vehicle's front fascia. LED turn signals mounted in the sideview mirrors increase the A3's visibility.
The interior of the A3 Premium incorporates a four-spoke, leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather seating surfaces. A standard tilt/telescoping steering column accommodates drivers of any nearly stature, and flexmetallic trim adds a high-technology look throughout the cabin of the A3 Premium. An extensive number of convenience options like central locking, power windows with onetouch up/down function and cruise control are all standard. The A3 Premium also plays host to the best in available technology. An Audi concert stereo system with SIRIÚS® satellite radio and 10 speakers provides entertainment, while a driver information system provides pertinent information like fuel range, mileage, external temperature and audio settings.
The A3 Premium Plus builds on the equipment found in the A3 Premium by adding Audi xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights. Inside, a sporty new three-spoke leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, LED ambient lighting and power driver seat are all standard. The A3 Premium Plus boasts added convenience with features like a Bluetooth® hands free phone interface.
The 2010 A3 also may be outfitted with a cold weather package that includes heated external mirrors, heated windshield washer nozzles, and heated front seats. A convenience package adds an auto dimming interior mirror, automatic headlights and windshield washers as well as a BOSE® sound system. The A3 also may be outfitted with the Audi navigation plus package, including RDS traffic data and either Audi music interface or a six-disc CD changer located in the glove box. Two sport packages are available for the A3 Premium Plus. The 18-inch Sport Package features 18-inch alloy wheels with summer tires, sport seats and a sport suspension. The Titanium Sport Package adds Titanium optic 18-inch wheels, black front grille surround, piano black interior trim, a black headliner to the 18-inch sport package.Warranty
The Audi A3 will be backed by a new vehicle limited warranty that includes:
• Four-year/50,000 mile limited new vehicle warranty
• 12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation
• 24-hour Roadside Assistance for four yearsSource - Audi
Audi A3 TDI Named 2010 Green Car of the Year
- EPA-estimated 42 MPG highway is highest of any luxury car sold in the Ú.S.
- Audi TDI clean diesel 2.0 engine delivers optimal power with uniquely low emissions
- The Green Car of the Year® award is the industry measure of environmental innovationHERNDON, Va., Dec 3, 2009
- Green and performance luxury needn't be mutually exclusive concepts. That's a core belief at Audi. Today, that philosophy paid off with the all-new A3 TDI earning the prestigious title of 2010 Green Car of the Year®.
The announcement came this morning during the Los Angeles Auto Show as Ron Cogan, editor and publisher of Green Car Journal and editor of GreenCar.com presented the award to Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen. The Audi A3 TDI was among five model finalists nominated for the award, which began in 2005.
The 2010 Audi A3 TDI arrived at Ú.S. dealerships last month and initial sales have been promising. The A3 TDI is the latest example of the fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions benefits provided by the critically acclaimed TDI clean diesel product line, following the wildly popular Q7 TDI, which launched in June 2009. TDI clean diesel technology was first developed by Audi 20 years ago and has come to signify the brand's commitment to trailblazing automotive performance executed in an environmentally responsible way.
The groundbreaking TDI 2.0 engine available in the A3 delivers 140 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque, yet achieves an EPA-estimated 42 mpg highway fuel economy that is the best of any luxury car sold in America. That means the Audi A3 TDI achieve 50% better fuel economy than a comparable gasoline engine.
'We consider the Green Car of the Year® title one of the most important industry accolades,' said Johan de Nysschen, President, Audi of America. 'It is of paramount importance for us to develop vehicles that achieve the very touchstones this award stands for – fuel efficiency and environmental impact. Rather than novelty features, we consider these attributes imperative to the future of automobile design. We are honored with this recognition for the Audi A3 TDI.'
In addition to setting the new industry standard in fuel efficiency, the 2010 A3 TDI remains a stylistic pacesetter as well. All new A3 models now come standard with S line exterior equipment. In addition the wheels have been upgraded and standard Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights are available on Premium Plus models.
'The Audi A3 TDI really defines what a ‘green' car should be,' said Cogan. 'At 42 mpg, it sets the bar for highway fuel efficiency in the luxury car segment. Its 50-state certified clean diesel engine is quiet, responsive, and achieves its mission without the need for exotic technologies. Plus, it's sporty and just plain fun to drive.'
Source - Audi
Indeed, the TDI technology in the A3 has a strong performance heritage. Audi was the first automaker to find success with diesel engines in motorsports, winning several times at the grueling 24 Hours of Le Mans and the 12 Hours of Sebring, among other competitions. That same fundamental technology is found in the A3 TDI, meaning motorists do not have to sacrifice performance for efficiency.