The Mark V was the last Derby built Bentley and is the rarest of all production Bentleys. It is thought that no more than eleven Mark V's were actually bodied. An initial production run of 19 numbered chassis were ordered. Only seven examples exist today. The first four were to be Corniche chassis, but they were never completed. These were followed by the 'Standard' types. The first two, B10AW and B12AW are not known to exist. This particular example, chassis number B14AW, is the oldest surviving Bentley Mark V.
The new Mark V used independent front suspension, making it the first Bentley convertible with that feature.
This Bentley was ordered on June 15th of 1939 by the company's Parisian agency, Franco-Britannic Automobiles. It was intended to receive two-door coupe coachwork by Carrosserie Binder for exhibition on Binder's stand at the Paris Salon in October 1939, then for delivery to the Princess Kamal el Dine (1881-1966), Boulevard Richard Wallace, Neuilly-sur-Seine, France. After World War II intervened, Binder did not complete the car and the Princess never took delivery.
The chassis was then sold on March 20th of 1940 to M. Barrelon, president of Forge de la Boissière. It later received two-door three-position drophead Saoutchik coachwork which it currently wears today. It is not known if Saoutchik completed the coachwork started by Binder, or if it is a unique Saoutchik creation.
After World War II, the car was shipped to England and into the care of its second owner, Capt. S.G. Klein of London, who took possession of the car on February 22nd of 1951. There, it was registered MXT3, and painted black with a white twill hood.
The car's next owner was R.A. Levy of the United States, who took possession of the car on July 2nd of 1965. Around that time it was painted grey with a grey top. Ownership later passed to Thomas J. Bahr of Los Altos, California, in August 1965. Years later, Mr. Bahr had the car partially disassembled with the intention of restoring the car. He later became ill and was unable to re-assemble the car.
A Classic Car dealer later located the car and had it packed into a container and sent back to England. It was purchased around 1995 by Charles Howard. While in his care, the car was given a restoration by Alpine Eagle, Ltd. of Oxfordshire (UK) and finished in the blue exterior with a beige interior that it wears today.
In 2003, Mr. John W. Rich, Sr. Purchased this Mark V from Cave Creek Classics (AZ). Mr. Rich exhibited the car that same year at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, and at the 2006 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance where it won The Bentley Boys Award for the Most Sporting Bentley.
In 2016, the car was offered for sale at The Finest
motor car sale at The Elegance at Hershey.By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2016