The Ford Model K was part of the Alphabet Series of early Fords donated to the AACA Museum by the Porter family. It was restored many years ago and only used as a static display. In 2010, volunteer members of the Pennsylvania Susquehannock Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America donated their time to refurbish the car and make it roadworthy. The 40-horsepower, 405 cubic-inch motor was the largest engine produced by the Ford Motor Company, until after WWII. There are less than two dozen Model Ks existing today with less than half being Gentleman's Roadsters.
The 1908 Ford Model K was offered as a touring car and a runabout. Ford produced the K, N, R and S models in 1908. Production of the Model T began in October. This particular model is classified as a Mother-In-Law Seat Roadster. Today, only 10 examples of the Model K are known to exist. The rear car was refurbished by members of AACA's Susquehannock Region in 2010 and shown at several major venues, which earned it a 2011 invitation to the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.Source - AACA Museum
The Ford Model K was introduced in 1906 as a possible replacement for the Model B and to provide a luxury model to the Ford line-up. Equipped with a six-cylinder engine found in the front and powering the rear wheels, it was capable of producing 40 horsepower. The Model K sat atop a 114 inch wheelbase and could be ordered in standard touring or roadster bodywork.
It is considered the Ford Motor Company's first failure. The quality of the car was low and the sticker price was high, between $2500 to $3000 depending on the model and trim level. It was a departure from Ford's basic values, to provide affordable and dependable vehicles. The Model K was Fords last vehicle to feature a six-cylinder engine until 1941. The focus of the company went back to producing mass-produced and affordable vehicles. In 1908, production of the Model K ceased after only 900 examples produced.
Alexander Malcomson was one of the founding partners of the Ford Motor Company and a promoter of the luxury car line. He had felt that the evolving automobile market had a place for Ford in the production of luxury cars. When the Model K turned out to be a failure, he left the company. With Malcomson out of the company, Henry Ford became the majority shareholder. He shifted the company back to producing lightweight and durable vehicles. In October of 1908 the Model T was introduced and become the top-selling car in the world until it was discontinued in 1927.By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2005