British born Cyril Kieft founded Kieft Cars which focused mostly on developing racing cars for the Formula 3 racing class. Their history does including a few road going sports car specials. The Company was founded after the Second World War, using the name Cyril Kieft and Co Ltd and based in Bridgend, Glamorgan. When the company was in its infancy, it created materials for the motor industry. When the Marwyn Company went out of business, Cyril saw an opportunity to enter race car production. The Marwyn Company had been producing Formula Junior cars; when the company went under, Cyril purchased the designs and used it for his racing cars.
The cars gained widespread publicity when they attempted to secure records at Autodrome de Montlhéry in France. In the capable hands of Stirling Moss, its success was guaranteed as long as the car was capable. Moss was a little disappointed with the cars, expressed some suggestions, and improvements were quickly followed. Moss later joined the company and the facilities were moved to Reliance Works in Derry Street, Wolverhampton.
The new designs for the Kieft cars were courtesy of an aircraft designer who had joined the company, named Gordon Bedson. The results of his design were created for the 1951 season. Both Moss and works driver, Don Parker, secured many impressive victories in their Kieft cars. Parker won the British Formula Junior Championship in 1952 and 1953.
In 1954, Kieft created a sports car that had seating for two and could serve dual purposes, being driven on the road and the track. It was powered by a Coventry Climax FWA engine and given an independent suspension in both the front and the rear. The body was constructed of fiber glass making it lightweight and strong. It came with a very high sticker price and was expensive to produce. By the close of 1954, Kieft was forced to sell the company. It was purchased by racing driver Derwyn Baxter.
The company was sold again in 1960 and its name was changed to Burmans.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2007