Aston Martin had introduced the DB2 in 1950 and was the first in the line of DB Grand Tourers that would follow over the years. David Brown had acquired Aston Martin in 1948, along with Lagonda for its straight-six W.O. Bentley designed engine. A DB2 prototype, wearing a Frank Feeley-designed sports saloon coachwork with seating for two, achieved a third-place finish in 1949's Spa-Francorchamps 24 Hours.
The DB2 was considerably different from any previous Aston Martins with its curvaceous and modern lines, and the whole front of which hinged forward.
The cruciform structure was replaced by Claude Hill's cross-member, reducing ground clearance and weight while increasing torsional rigidity. In the front was an independent suspension setup with coil springs and transverse torsion bars. The in the back was a coil-sprung live axle, located by parallel arms and Panhard rod, incorporated additional strengthening. The drum brakes were hydraulically powered, the engine produced just over 100 horsepower, and it was backed by a four-speed David Brown gearbox. The optional Vantage engine boosted output to 125 bhp.
The DB2 lacked space, offering seating for two with minimal luggage area. Frank Freeley redesigned car's rear to accommodate an occasional double bench which folded down to increasing luggage capacity. The overall length of the vehicle grew by six inches. The bumpers became more substantial and incorporated overriders. The roofline was raised slightly to increase the headroom, and a larger rear window installed. The windscreen was a single - rather than two-piece - molding. The quarterlight windows were reshaped and the headlights were repositioned higher in the bonnet. The result of all these changes brought forth the DB2/4 in 1953.
The Mark II followed in October 1955 with subtle styling changes. It now had squared-off and raised rear wing ends with the sidelights now mounted on their top rear edge. A chromium-plated front wing strip was used to conceal the line of the one-piece hood which had been relocated to the top of the wheel arches. A similar strip was placed across the windscreen top offering nearly an inch in height and headroom.
With Aston Martin's recent acquisition of Tickford coachbuilder in Newport Pagnell, the Mark II body production was moved 'in-house.' Previously DB2/4 bodies having been made by Mulliner. Like its predecessors, the DB2/4 Mark II was available with Saloon and Drop-head Coupe bodies. Another MKII addition was the 165 horsepower Special Series optional engine.
Aston Martin produced the Mark III for just a shade over two years and actually overlapped the DB4 by seven months. Production of all variants during this time was 551 cars. The standard 3 liter (2922cc, twin SU carburetors) engine fitted to the Mark III was designated as the DBA version and produced 162 bhp @5500 rpm. The three-liter DBA engine was the ultimate Tadek Marek development of the original W.O. Bentley design and had a stronger camshaft, a stiffer block, and bigger valves.
The DB2/4 Mark III was the first Aston Martin to feature the trademark grille and the shape was mirrored in the dashboard for the first time, as the instruments were moved directly in front of the driver. Updated styling was inspired by the DB3S racing car. It was also the first to be offered with disc brakes, albeit on the front corners alone. by Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2019
Related Reading : Aston Martin DB2 Mark III History
The DB name came from the name David Brown (later Sir David Brown), an individual who had purchased the Aston Martin Company. The DB series was built from 1950 through 1953 with only 411 examples being produced. Power was supplied by a W.O. Bentely designed Lagonda six-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 116 bhp and could propel the car to a top speed of 117 mph. The zero-to-sixty time.... Continue Reading >>
Related Reading : Aston Martin DB2 History
The Aston Martin DB2 was introduced to the public at the New York Motor Show. This was not the vehicles first appearance as it had been raced at the grueling 24 Hours of LeMans where one of the drivers, Pierre Marechal, had been involved in a fatal accident. The DB2 was designed by Frank Freeley and configured as a two-seater touring vehicle. It was Aston Martins first real production vehicle. The.... Continue Reading >>
Related Reading : Aston Martin DB2 History
The first Aston Martin was built in 1913 by London Singer dealers Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin. It was comprised of a Coventry Simplex engine and an Isotta Fraschini chassis. They were later joined by Count Louis Zborowski, who provided finical backing and was an avid racer. Under the patronage of Augustus Bertelli, the legacy of Aston Martin continued to grow in motorsports throughout the years..... Continue Reading >>
Sir David Brown purchased Aston Martin and Lagonda just after World War II came to a close. He used the W.O. Bentley-designed Lagonda engine as a starting point for the post-war Aston Martin cars. Production began with the DB2 and evolved into the DB....[continue reading]
Aston Martin was founded in 1913 by Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford. The two had joined forces as Bamford & Martin the previous year to sell cars made by Singer from premises in Callow Street, London. Martin raced specials at Aston Hill near Aston C....[continue reading]
The Aston Martin DB2 was introduced in May of 1950. The DB Mark III (the '2/4' designation was eventually dropped) was introduced in March of 1957 and produced through July of 1959 in both drophead coup and fixed form.....[continue reading]
In October of 1953, Aston Martin introduced the 2+2 DB2/4. After extensive revisions to the car's rear end arrangements, there was room for two occasion seats and more luggage. Two years after the introduction of the mildly restyled DB2/4 MKII came t....[continue reading]
This Aston Martin DB2/4 Mk III by Tickford was delivered new to Dr. Robert Pye, of Woodland, California, on November 28, 1958. It is an early example that had been uprated in period for competition use, and its racing history is highlighted by the 16....[continue reading]
The Aston Martin DB2/4 MK II was introduced at the 1955 London Motor Show. It was the latest development of David Brown's grand touring car. It was visually differentiated from its immediate predecessor by its chrome brightwork, separate bucket seats....[continue reading]
This Aston Martin DB2/4 is a MK II and was shipped to Cyril Williams Motors Limited in Staffordshire, England, on July 26th of 1957. It was finished in black over black leather, and is believed to have remained in England for some time. By 1955 it wa....[continue reading]
DB4 GT Zagato Continuation to make public debut at 24 Hours of Le Mans 2019
Race-goers will be first to see Aston Martins most expensive new car
DB4 GT Zagato Continuation extends Zagato bloodline in centenary year
11 June 2019, GaydonLe Man...
First body completed as DB4 GT Zagato Continuation build commences at Aston Martin Works
Modern production systems meet artisan coachbuilding skills as Aston Martin optimises Zagato build process for 21st Century
DB4 GT Zagato Continuation extends...
Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – August 9, 2016…BMW USA Classic will run seven historic race cars at the 2016 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on August 18-21 in Monterey, California. BMW is the featured marquee at the Rolex Reunion and the brand will...
RM Sothebys assembles holy trifecta of DB4s for its 10th anniversary London sale, 7 September at Battersea Evolution
Trio led by original one-of-75 DB4GT, immaculate concours-standard Series V Convertible, and desirable left-hand-drive Series...
1970 Ferrari 365 22 with 007 Pedigree Set to Cross the Block at Russo and Steeles 16th Annual Monterey Collector Automobile Auction Event!
Scottsdale, Arizona (June 24th, 2016) – First shown at Paris in 1967, the 365 GT 22 took place...