The Trumbull Manufacturing Company based in Warren, Ohio produced vehicles from 1914 through 1915. Their vehicles were small cyclecars in either roadster or coupe configuration and sold at a very reasonable price, listed at $425 for the roadster and $600 for the coupe. Powering the cyclecar was a water-cooled four-cylinder engine that offered 14/18 horsepower. The power was sent via a shaft drive to the rear wheels. In 1915, the transmission was a three-speed selective sliding gear unit; the 1914 vehicles had a friction transmission.
The Trumbull rested on a wheelbase that measured just 80 inches and had a tread of 44 inches.
The Trumbull was the work of Harry J. Stoops and the engine was designed by K.L. Hermann of the Hermann Engineering Company. Financial support was courtesy of the Trumbull brothers, Alexander H. and Isaac B., of Bridgeport.
Earlier, the cyclecar was produced in Detroit by the Stoops under the name of the American Cyclecar Company. By January of 1914, the Trumbulls had bought the Stoops design as well as the American Cyclecar Company, and created the Trumbull Motor Car Company.
The Trumbull cars had a poor reputation and sales were slow in the United States. So the company began exporting their product and by 1915, half of the cars were left-hand drive.
Total production is believed to have been 2000 units, with 1500 being sold in Europe and Australia. Twenty Trumbull vehicles were on the Lusitania on May 7th of 1915 when it was torpedoed by the German Navy. Also on board the Lusitania was Isaac Trumbull who was traveling to Europe in hopes of closing a deal for 300 orders. Unfortunately, the company went down with the ship. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2011
The dazzling Grand Palais will once play host Bonhams Grande Marques du Monde sale on 9th February With lots ranging from the veteran 1900 Benz Ideal 4 5 HP to a brace of modern Bentleys the sale spans...