The Pierce Arrow heritage leads to a Buffalo, NY company founded in 1865 manufacturing everything from ice boxes, birdcages to bathtubs and bicycles. The first car was built in 1901 and in 1903, Pierce introduced the Arrow, a bigger car. This led to the Great Arrow with cast aluminum body panels on a 93 inch wheelbase and helped build Pierce's great reputation by winning the first five prestigious Glidden Tours.
Beginning in 1909, Pierce-Arrow became known as the car of Presidents when William H. Taft became the first president to use an automobile for official occasions. This practice continued until the last Pierces were ordered in 1935. IN 1914, Pierce-Arrow introduced its patented integral fender headlamps as an option. This design feature became the most recognized design cue for Pierce-Arrows for the rest of the company's history.
In 1920, Pierce-Arrow decided to introduce a new model which would form the basis of their entire model lineup. This new chassis, at 138 inch wheelbase, would be the only chassis, available with 10 factory body styles. The dual-valve 6-cylidner engine was redesigned with mono-bloc construction and produced 38 horsepower. The steering wheel was moved to the left side and bodies were made of 14 gauge aluminum. Traditional Pierce-Arrow quality continued with each engine run in, disassembled, inspected and reassembled for more testing before shipment to the customer.