Sold for $35,000 at 2011 RM Auctions - Hershey.Sold for $77,000 at 2013 RM Auctions - Amelia Island.
The A. Tribelhorn & Co. AG, was located in Feldbach, Switzerland on the north shore of the Lake of Zurich. They manufactured commercial electric vehicles beginning around 1902 and remaining in business until 1918. Their first vehicle was an open two-seater with front-wheel drive and called the 'light doctor's car.' The car was popular in Switzerland and Germany. Heavier double-phaetons, landaulets and limousines wore bodies by Geissberger of Zurich.
Though expensive, the cars managed to earn a loyal following. In 1918, the company was sold to Elektrische Fahrzeuge AG of Altstetten in Zürich. A three-wheel two-seater was introduced and was widely used by the Swiss Post Office.
This Tribelhorn electric car was once the property of Cedar Crossing Collection of James Cousens. It wears an older restoration. It has a wooden body which is painted red with yellow accents and brass trim. There is a horn and two lamps. The fenders are made of wood and the batteries and electric components can be found under the seats. There is tiller steering with an ammeter and voltage gauge in the driving compartment.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2011
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Hershey Auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $70,000 - $90,000. As bidding came to a close, the car was sold for the sum of $35,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.