Sold for $24,200 at 2012 Gooding & Company, Amelia Island, Fl. Roadster
Chassis #: 4496 FM
Engine #: D 9203 97
Great Britain's TVR had a brilliant chassis but by the 1970s, it was starting to show its age and required re-engineering and modernization to remain competitive in the sports car niche. Company owner Martin Lilley personally helped with the design of a new platform. The result of the work was the 'M Chassis' which would eventually host three new models of varying engine displacement, the most powerful of which was the 3000M. The 3000M was powered by the three-liter Ford V-6 engine that was manufactured in Essex, England.
In 1978, the 3000M was modified into a convertible version which featured TVR's first-ever separated trunk compartment, as well as detachable sliding-glass side screens. Production of the 3000S lasted just two years with a total of 258 examples built.
This TVR 3000S Roadster is one of just 129 examples built in 1979. It is one of just 140 total TVR examples exported that year. It is believed that the car has never been restored, with the current odometer display of approximately 53,000 miles. It rides on 14-inch alloy wheels in addition to the 16-inch Panasport wheels.
The 2994cc Ford 'Essex' V-6 engine is fitted with a single Downdraft Twin-Choke Weber carburetor and delivers 142 horsepower. There is a four-speed, all-synchromesh manual gearbox and four-wheel disc brakes.
In 2012, this car was offered for sale at Amelia Island sale presented by Gooding & Company. The car was estimated to sell for $40,000 - $50,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $24,200 inclusive of buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2012
In 1949 Trevor Wilkinson produced a line of hand-build vehicles under the name Trevcar Motors in Blackpool, England. Within a few years, the name was changed to TVR, a combination of some of the characters in Trevor's name (TreVoR). By 1957 the TVR Company was producing the Jomar, a vehicle with a fiberglass body and a tubular steel chassis. This design led to the Grantura, Griffin, Tuscan, Vixen, and the M series.
The TVR Company has been owned by several owners. For a while it was selling cars as Layton Sports Car Ltd and Grantura Engineering. It was not until 1965 when Martin Lilley, a Lotus and TVR dealer, purchased the company and reinstated the TVR Engineering name.
The M series was offered with three engine options. The 1.6-liter Ford 'Kent' engine provided the power for the 1600 M. The 3.0-liter Capri engine powered the 3000 M which was primarily for domestic sales. The 2500 M was powered by a 2498-cc inline-six from the TR6 and sold to America. The 2500 M made its world debut at the 1971 Earls Court Motor Show and it was instantly popular. If the car did not attract, the nude models that were assigned by Lilley to the stand surly attracted a crowd.
The 2500M had a four-speed manual gearbox and differential which it borrowed from Triumph. The bodywork was similar to the early TVR models though the bonnet was extended allowing more room for the engine and giving the car more pleasing appearance. Early versions were given the Vixen's black alloy wheels and Ford Cortina MK II taillights. The six-cylinder engines with dual Stromberg CD-w carburetors produce a respectable 106 horsepower. Zero-to-sixty takes just over 9 seconds with a top speed of nearly 120 mph. Disc brakes can be found in the front while drums are in the rear.
What the TVR 2500M lacked in power it made up for in light-weight components, short wheelbase, and superior handling. Fuel economy was rather good at around 30 mph.
Production of the 2500M lasted until 1977. The 3000M was produced until 1979 when it was replaced by the Tasmin.By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2006