New Toyota Avalons Built for SEMA Take Divergent Paths Toward SimilarGasoline and Hybrid Versions Illustrate Performance Potential of Dynamic New Design
Toyota's recently introduced 2013 Avalon is set to enter the market this fall with a radically new design that moves the styling needle distinctly toward passion and excitement. To demonstrate the possibilities of the new premium mid-size sedan, the company created two new concepts that are scheduled to bow on Oct. 30 at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas.
2013 Avalon TRD Edition
'The new Avalon is an attractive target for performance enhancement,' said Toyota Engagement Marketing and Motorsports National Manager Keith Dahl. 'Tuners always want to get their hands on a great new design with strong enthusiast appeal.'
With performance firmly in their wheelhouse, Toyota Racing Development (TRD) created a concept that builds on the strength of the new car's inherently sporty styling and dynamics by taking each a couple of steps further without losing the 'sweet spot.'
Úsing the 3.5-liter V6 gasoline-powered Avalon, TRD added one of its signature supercharger systems to bump engine power and torque substantially while maintaining smooth driveability. The cleanly integrated design also fits neatly in the Avalon engine bay.
Handling is enhanced with a spring/shock package that lowers the car about one inch to improve body control and steering response. Stiffer rear subframe bushings and modified steering characteristics also enhance control while increasing road feel. Sticky Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on custom 19-inch wheels complete the handling picture. Braking power is substantially upgraded with a TRD Big Brake kit sporting six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers on large cross-drilled spiral-vane rotors.
Exterior changes build on the Avalon's already sporty nature with two-tone custom paint, a color-keyed grille and tinted taillights with clear lenses. Dual exhaust with polished mufflers and custom tips finish the look.
The TRD Edition Avalon also gets a major interior upgrade with gradient-design perforated leather seating plus red accent piping and stitching. Custom instrument and door panels are also leather covered, again with red stitching. And to make sure the music is as memorable as the driving, TRD installed a thumping JBL GreenEdgeTM surround-sound audio system with 15 speakers and two trunk-mounted 500W amplifiers.
Engine : 3.5 L., 6-cylinder
TRD EDITION SPECIFICATIONS
• TRD supercharger incorporating Eaton Gen 6 TVS rotor assembly Drivetrain
• Six-speed automatic transmission
• Suspension and Brakes
• Cold-rolled steel coil springs that lower vehicle approximately one inch front and rear
• KYB gas-pressured mono-tube shocks with custom valving
• Stiffer rear subframe bushings
• Modified steering assist, damping and hysteresis characteristics
• Brake calipers: Front six-piston; rear four-piston with patented bolt-in bridges
• Brake rotors: Front 380 X 32 mm; rear 345 X 28 mm cross-drilled with patented spiral-vane design Exterior
• 19-inch custom wheel design with three-stage paint
• 225/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
• Two-tone custom paint scheme
• Tinted taillights with clear inner and outer lenses
• Custom color-keyed grille
• Dual exhaust with high-polished mufflers and custom tips Interior
• Graduated perforated leather with red piping and stitching
• Black technical knit headliner
• Custom door panels and instrument panel with black leather and red accent stitching
• JBL GreenEdgeTM surround sound system with 15 speakers
• Two trunk-mounted JBL 500W GTI D-class amplifiers Source - Toyota