The Aston Martin four-door saloon was produced by Aston Martin of Newport Pagnell, England between 1974 and 1990. In total, just 645 examples were produced. The name was derived from the Lagonda marque that Aston Martin had purchased in 1947. During that time, there were two distinct versions, the short-lived 1974 saloon and the ultra-modern version in 1976. The car was designed by William Towns in the classic 1970's 'folded paper' style.
The Lagonda had state-of-the-art instrument, club-like leather interior, and hand-built aluminum bodies riveted onto a tubular steel chassis. They had a rear-wheel drive layout, 4-wheel disc brakes (the rear rotors were inboard), and an independent suspension.
The 1983 Aston Martin lLgonda had a sticker price of $150,000 with a $10,000 deposit. Over 30% of the Lagonda's were purchased by wealthy Middle Eastern sheiks.
Over the 12 year production lifespan, just 645 examples were produced. From 1974 - 1987, just 7 examples of the Series 1 were produced. 458 examples of the Series 2 were produced (1976-1985). 75 examples of the Series 3 (1986-1987) and 105 examples of the Series 4 (1987-1990).
This particular example has been given an extensive 10-year restoration which was completed in 2012. The exterior is finished in a white diamond pearl coat. The interior was completely re-done with Connolly leather hides, a new audio system, and 3 added TVs. The 5.3-liter 4-cam carbureted Aston Martin engine was replaced with a 5.7-liter Corvette LT-1 engine and Corvette transmission.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
Sold for $90,200 at 2016 Bonhams
Aston-Martin revived the Lagonda name in the mid-1970s when they used it on a stretched, four-door sedan fitted with V8 power. It had 'razor edge' bodywork designed by William Towns. It used the same long-wheelbase V8 chassis as its immediate predecessor. The interior was luxurious and futuristic, with electronic instrumentation and switchgear. It had Connolly hides, Wilton carpeting and walnut veneer, all hand-finished by craftsmen in the Aston Martin tradition. The Newport Pagnell factory built one car per week.
This particular example was delivered to its original owner through Aston Martin of Beverly Hills on September 9th of 1983. It was ordered with black paint over a black interior, with a special-order 3.54 rear end. It has had just two owners since new and has covered a mere 7,567 miles since new.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2016
In October of 1976 Aston Martin introduced the four-door Lagonda at the Earl's Court Show. The name Lagonda was borrowed from a similar British marque that had a respectable racing tradition and produced low production, exclusive automobiles. Both Aston Martin and Lagonda also shared a similar history of financial difficulties. After World War II, David Brown took control of both Aston Martin and Lagonda and brought these honorable marques under one name. In 1959, the combination was able to capture the World Championship.
The Aston Martin Lagonda was designed by William Towns. It was modern and practical with seating for five and many creature comforts. Production began in 1976 and continued untili 1990 with 645 examples being created. It was the first production automobile in the world to use a digital instrument panel and computer management. Under the hood was a four-cam eight-cylinder engine in 'Vee' configuration. A Chrysler 3-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission sent the power to the rear wheels. Air conditioning, power steering, brakes windows, door locks and a sunroof were all standard equipment.
The luxury four-door Lagonda was true to the 'folded paper' design style.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006