Sold for $60,500 at 2015 RM Sotheby's : Motor City Auction. New Drophead Coupe
Chassis #: 90550
Engine #: 73115
H.J. Lawson founded the British based Daimler Company Limited in 1896, with its manufacturing base located in Coventry. The company purchased the right to use the Daimler name from Gottlieb Daimler and Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft of Cannstatt, Germany. Over the years, they built a reputation for building limousines and luxury saloon cars. Until the 1950s, they were the primary supplier to the British Crown.
The Conquest model began life in the Spring of 1953 and served as a replacement for the outgoing Consort model. The medium-priced sedan featured a chassis and running gear that were direct developments of those found in the Lanchester 14. It was a cruciform setup suspended by double wishbones and laminated torsion bars in the front with a conventional leaf spring setup at the rear. Braking was handled by Girling hydro/mechanical drums and the steering was a cam and peg unit. Under the bonnet was a straight-six engine that displaced 2433cc and produced 75 horsepower.
In 1954, Daimler began offering a roadster. They also began offering a more potent version of the Conquest, called the Conquest Century. Modifications to the engine included big-valve alloy cylinder head, twin SU carburetors, and higher compression and high-lift camshaft, resulting in an increase in horsepower to 100 BHP. The public approved of this upgrade and made it the most popular of the two Saloon variants, with 4,818 examples eventually made as opposed to 4,568 of the lesser powered car. The 'Century' was available as a saloon, roadster, or drophead coupe.
In 1955, Daimler began offering the MK II Century, which came with several improvements including to the rear suspension. A four-seat coupe also joined the saloon, but it lasted just a year before it 9andd the roadster) were replaced in 1956 by the New Drophead Coupe, which had a side-facing third seat behind the primary cockpit.
Production continued into 1957.
This particular New Drophead Coupe is one of the last examples to be built. It is believed that its original owner was King Faisal II of Iraq, but this has not be confirmed. The factory record shows only that it was completed on February 20, 1957, and dispatched from the Works on May 16, consigned to a corporation in France, believed to be Daimler's Paris distributor Etablissements Plisson. Its metric speedometer suggest it was built for export, however its temperature gauge in Fahrenheit and right-hand drive contradict that theory.
The final car in the New Drophead series was completed on April 16.
By the late 1950s, this car was in the United States. In 2005, it was purchased by Bob Boston in Atlanta and given a full restoration. It is finished in yellow over black leather upholstery with matching carpet and fully functional convertible top. It has a Daimler fluid flywheel and Wilson preselector gearbox. The engine is fitted with the aluminum Century high-compression head and produces 100 horsepower.
Daimler built 9,829 examples of the Conquest and just 56 of those were New Drophead Coupes (including the prototypes).By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2015