Sold for $55,000 at 2015 RM Sotheby's Hershey Auction.
The Everett and Forrest Cameron brothers were former racing bicycle makers from Massachusetts. They later contracted various industrial concerns to build their cars. Thus, over the company's 17-year lifespan, Camerons were at made in 10 different factories in six states. Their first car was a single-cylinder vehicle introduced in 1902. It was built by the Brown Company in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Within a few years, both two- and three-cylinder models were available, and from 1907, there were fours. In 1908, production moved from Brockton to Beverly, Massachusetts. Between 1909 and 1911, some sixes were built in New London, Connecticut. The cars were air-cooled until 1913.
Production continued in various states and factories, until 1920.
Racing improves the breed; the Cameron brothers actively campaigned their vehicles in hill climbs and oval track events. A Cameron set a half-mile record in Cincinnati, Ohio, and another became the first air-cooled car to climb New Hampshire's Mount Washington without stopping.
This Cameron is a Beverly-built car that was purchased by its current caretaker in the mid-2000s. It was acquired from Robert Chase, of Earlville, New York. Over the next two years, the car was restored the result of which was awarded with an AACA Grand National honors. The car has appeared at the Amelia Island and Greenwich, Connecticut, Concours d'Elegance and has been shown at several AACA Fall Meets at Hershey.
This car is finished in dark green with white pinstriping. The chassis and running gear are painted cream beige. It has brass head, side, and tail lamps and there is a carbide generator on the right running boards. Power is from an air-cooled four-cylinder engine displacing 176.9 cubic-inches and offering 24 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual transaxle and two-wheel mechanical brakes.By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2015