High bid of $400,000 at 2016 RM Sothebys : Amelia Island. (did not sell) Tourer
Chassis #: 4725
Engine # 418
Gearbox #: 1420
The Bugatti Type 30 was the first eight-cylinder production Bugatti. They were produced between 1922 and early 1926, with almost exactly 600 examples built.
The Bugatti Type 30 was powered by a single overhead eight eight-cylinder engine with a barrel-type crankcase under a pair of fixed head cylinder blocks. It had a single cambox in which the overhead camshaft operated the valves by finger-type rockers to the two inlets and a single exhaust valve per cylinder. Carburetion was supplied by a pair of either Zenith or Solex carburetors; ignition was initially by magneto, with a coil used for later cars. The gearbox was a four-speed unit with right-hand change lever and mesh gears, along with a wet multi-plate clutch. In the front was an I-beam axle and hydraulic front brakes. The rear drums were considerably larger than those at the front.
This touring car Bugatti Type 30 was ordered new by Bugatti agent Dubuisson of St. Quintin for his customer, Mr. Chavel, and that the chassis was produced in January of 1926.Dubuisson purchased the rolling chassis only, with an unknown coachbuilder producing the four-passenger open Tourer body, with two doors - one door was located on the left for the front passenger, and one on the right.
Delivered to Monsieur Chavel, the car remained with his family until 1960. It was sold to J.P. Leger of Dreux. While in his care, the engine was removed and given another correct Type 30 unit, engine 418. The car as also refinished in its present color scheme of yellow with black cycle fenders and wire wheels.
The next known owner was Henri Chambon of Clermont Ferrand, who purchased the car in 1972 and registered it as 7892 QG 63, using it at the International Bugatti Meeting in Denmark five years later. Ownership then passed to Bernard Viallon. It has been in the current caretaker's possession for the past two decades.
This Tourer has its original frame, transmission number 1420, and original rear axle number 588. It has brown leather upholstery, Marchal headlamps, wood cappings along the sides of the body and dashboard, and a black cloth top.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016