All-new 2018 Audi A5 and S5 models boast sharpened design and enhanced technology
• Classic design details, such as the power dome and wave-design shoulder line, have been reimagined for the second generation
• The athleticism of the all-new Audi A5 design is matched by two new engines, a 252 horsepower TFSI® four-cylinder engine on the A5 and a 354 hp TFSI® V6 on the S5
• Full suite of standard and available driver assistance systems including Audi pre sense® city and adaptive cruise control wîth traffic jam assist, helps drivers navigate the road and traffic wîth increased confidence
The all-new 2018 Audi A5 and S5 Coupe build upon the heritage and success of the first generation, while bringing reimagined design details to the new A5 family of vehicles. The A5's design is backed by two powerful new engines to deliver a full range of driving experiences from efficient refinement to dynamic power.
New for 2018, the elegant and athletic two-door coupe delivers even more impressive technology such as the available Audi virtual cockpit and MMI® touch and driver assistance systems including standard Audi pre sense® city and available adaptive cruise control wîth stop & go and traffic jam assist.
The exterior of the A5 and S5 coupe has been redesigned to feature more dramatic shapes and sharp lines. Classic design details such as the hood power dome, strong shoulder line and pronounced wheel arches add elegance and emotion to the already sporty character of the vehicle. Slim, yet sculptural three-dimensional LED taillights offer a distinctly powerful look and emphasize vehicle width.
Featuring a completely new powertrain, the A5 coupe comes standard equipped wîth a 2.0-liter TFSI® four-cylinder engine and, for the first time, a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch transmission, which melds efficiency wîth dynamic shifting characteristics to help optimize fuel consumption. In addition, a newly designed turbocharged 3.0-liter TFSI® V6 engine offers S5 customers more horsepower, torque.PRODÚCT HIGHLIGHTS
For 2018, the exterior design of the A5 family vehicles feature a wider horizontal architecture and lower stance to enhance the vehicle's athletic appeal. Sophisticated interior details, including the Audi brand's hallmark wing-design wrap-around dashboard, underscore the progressive nature of the A5.Exterior design highlights include:
• Wider, flatter Singleframe® grille and longer, lower hood lines create a dome that highlights the powerful engines of the new A5 and S5
• Wave-design shoulder line and pronounced wheel arches provide cues to the standard quattro® all-wheel drive and a strong link to the iconic design of the first generation A5
• Standard Xenon plus headlights wîth LED daytime running lights or available full LED headlights; standard LED taillights wîth dynamic rear turn signals
• Standard 18' 10-spoke-dynamic design wheels wîth all-season tires or available 19' multi-spoke design wheels wîth contrasting gray/polished finish on A5 models
• A5 Coupe models wîth the available s-line package come standard equipped wîth 18' 5-arm star design wheels or optional 19' 5-parallel-spoke design wheels
• Standard 18' Audi Sport® 5-double-spoke-star design wheels wîth summer performance tires or available 19' 5-spoke-Cavo design wheels wîth contrasting gray/polished finish on S5 modelsInterior design highlights include:
• Three-spoke multifunction §teering wheel wîth shift paddles; three-spoke multifunction flat-bottom sport §teering wheel wîth shift paddles on S5 models
• Standard three-zone automatic climate control wîth wing-design wrap-around dashboard and diffuser air vent helps recreate natural airflow
• Standard eight-way power front seats wîth four-way power lumbar adjustment for the driver on A5 models; standard S sport seats wîth contrast diamond stitching, pneumatic side bolsters and massage function on S5 models
• Standard panoramic sunroof adds light to the cabin
• Standard ambient LED lighting or available ambient LED lighting plus package wîth 30 color settings
• Standard Aluminum Trimaran inlays, available High-gloss Dark Brown Walnut Wood or Natural Gray Oak inlays on A5 models; standard Aluminum matte brushed or available Carbon Atlas inlays on S5 models
• Folding and sliding front-center armrest wîth height adjustmentPOWERTRAIN AND PERFORMANCE
Powerful and efficient, the A5 Coupe models are equipped wîth a 2.0-liter TFSI® four-cylinder engine, coupled wîth either a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission or a six-speed manual transmission, to produce 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque and sprint from 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds for the S tronic and 5.7 seconds for the manual.
The S5 Coupe models receive a completely new 3.0 TFSI V6 engine that produces an impressive 354 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque and sprints from 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds. The 2018 S5 is also newly equipped wîth an eight-speed Tiptronic® automatic transmission that is well suited for the low-end torque of the new 3.0-liter TFSI engine.
Every Audi A5 is standard-equipped wîth quattro® all-wheel drive, offering enhanced agility through electronic torque vectoring. A5 models equipped wîth the S tronic® transmission and S5 models wîth the Tiptronic® automatic transmission command drive torque through a self-locking center differential, wîth a basic ratio of 40:60 front to rear, and wheel-selective torque control.
New for 2018, A5 models equipped wîth the six-speed manual offer the new quattro® wîth ultra® technology. The technology utilizes an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch along wîth a decoupling rear axle differential to achieve fully variable torque distribution. This quattro system wîth ultra technology allows for intelligent, proactive control of the all-wheel drive system to help predictively modify the torque application as the driver demands or the road conditions require.
As part of the S sport package, the S5 wîth quattro® sport differential can offer an even more dynamic driving experience by actively spliting torque between the wheels of the rear axle, wîth the ability to direct nearly all torque to one wheel, helping maximize driving dynamics.
CHASSIS AND SÚSPENSION
For 2018, the newly developed standard front and rear suspension for the A5 model line allows for both a sporty driving experience and more comfortable ride for long distances. The redesigned front five-link suspension wîth lightweight construction offers greater §teering precision and excellent handling through optimized §teering-rack placement direct at wheel centers. Handling and comfort enhancements have also improved through the reduced unsprung weight of lightweight aluminum control-arm components and revised elastokinematic attributes.Source - Audi
Chassis and suspension features include
• Standard Audi drive select wîth four different modes – comfort, auto, dynamic and individual – allows the driver to change gear shift points, §teering, and available damper control and adaptive cruise control adjustments.
• Available sport suspension (A5 models) lowers ride height by approximately 23 mm and utilizes different tubular anti-roll bars, dampers, and linear-rate springs.
• Available comfort adaptive damping suspension (A5 models) lowers ride height by 10 mm and uses continuous electronic damper control to enable the various suspension and damping combinations that make up the Audi drive select modes.
• Similar to the previous generation, S5 models offer available sport adaptive damping suspension wîth a new suspension control unit. This unit houses the software for suspension and damping control plus the sensors for measuring acceleration and yaw rates.
• Availabe dynamic §teering (S5 models only) offers a variable §teering ratio that adjusts based on vehicle speed and the Audi drive select setting.
Offering benchmark infotainment and technology features, the A5 family includes a host of standard and available equipment for the new model year including the Audi virtual cockpit, a full-color head-up display and Audi connect® packages.
Technology features include:
• Available Audi virtual cockpit features a 12.3-inch display that delivers vibrant color at 60 frames per second wîth NVIDIA® quad core processing power. The virtual cockpit helps to enhance the infotainment viewing and navigating experience via the large Google Earth™ images (requires Audi connect PRIME) supported wîth 4G LTE (where available).
• Available full-color head-up display projects relevant driving information directly in the driver's field of vision.
• Available for the first time in the A5 model line, MMI® touch® wîth handwriting-recognition technology includes a simplified function-key layout wîth two touch-keys for horizontal menu control logic.
• Standard Audi smartphone interface provides Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto integration via ÚSB connection, making smartphone interactions easier and more seamless for the driver.
• The available 19 speaker, 755 watt Bang & Olufsen® sound system wîth 3D sound creates almost true-to-life surround sound reproduction.
Audi connect packages together all applications that help connect the vehicle wîth the internet, the owner and the surrounding infrastructure (active subscription required). Improved functions include online traffic info, weather updates, fuel prices, Apple Siri® Eyes Free integration for compatible devices, internet radio streaming as well as picture navigation, read-aloud personalized news headlines and Twitter® alerts, among other features.
Supported by 4G LTE (where available), available in-car Audi connect® CARE features include:
• Vehicle services such as vehicle status report, online roadside assistance and service interval notification
• Automatic Crash Notification (SOS)
• Manual Emergency Call (SOS)
• Stolen Vehicle Locator
The Audi connect mobile application has also been updated to support new remote services designed for the ÚS market which include Curfew, Speed, and Valet Alerts, remote lock and unlock capability and online car finder.
ADVANCED DRIVER ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS
The A5 model line incorporates many advanced driver assistance systems that are designed to help drivers navigate the road and traffic wîth confidence.
Driver assistance features:
• In the case of an impending collision, standard Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to help prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts.
• Standard Audi pre sense city helps detects cornering and stationary vehicles as well as pedestrians, at speeds of up to 52 mph and can initiate full braking when a potential collision is detected.
• Audi side assist (standard on Premium Plus and Prestige trims) provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housings at speeds above 9 mph.
• Audi pre sense rear (standard on Premium Plus and Prestige) helps monitor the traffic following the vehicle and takes similar actions to Audi pre sense basic.
• Vehicle exit assist (as part of Audi side assist) can help prevent incidents wîth a side assist warning light, which blinks and helps alert the driver when vehicles or cyclists are approaching from behind as the vehicle doors are opened.
• Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to stop the vehicle.
• Available Adaptive cruise control wîth stop & go and traffic jam assist helps maintain set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed. Between 0-40 mph, traffic jam assist combines acceleration, braking and §teering guidance, which can reduce the stress of driving in congested traffic.
• Available traffic sign recognition (as part of the Driver assistance package) including vehicle speed warning can detect speed limits and displays the information in the Audi virtual cockpit or driver information system. Additionally, the system helps evaluate various driving conditions, no passing zones and school and construction zones.
• Available Audi active lane assist observes lane markings and can provide gentle §teering wheel warning vibrations if it is determined that the vehicle is approaching the edge of the lane without signaling.
• Turn assist (as part of the Driver Assistance package) can detect the approach of oncoming traffic, when making a left-hand turn at an intersection (when the vehicle is traveling above 1 mph and below 7 mph and turn signal is activated).