• Functional practicality wîth premium offroad design are just some of the highlights of the all-new A4 allroad
• New quattro® system varies torque distribution front to rear
• Increased ground clearance, more robust underbody protection and improved cargo capacity, compared to the sedan, make the A4 allroad the perfect companion in any driving situation
Combining functional practicality wîth premium offroad design, the all-new 2017 A4 allroad is the perfect companion in any driving situation. With standard quattro all-wheel drive, adaptive dampers and increased ground clearance compared to the sedan, the A4 allroad offers the versatility of a wagon wîth an Audi level of luxury and refinement.allroad
From the newly redesigned five-link suspension wîth standard adaptive dampers to the all-new standard quattro all-wheel drive wîth ultra® technology, the 2017 A4 allroad sets a new benchmark for the luxury wagon §egmènt. The exterior has been redesigned to showcase the allroad's adventurous spirit wîth design cues that pay homage to the A4 family. Vertical chrome slats on the Singleframe® grille emphasize the vehicle's increased ground clearance while more powerful wheel arches add to the vehicle's offroad character. The interior features a horizontally oriented architecture to create a greater feeling of spaciousness while infotainment features such as the large MMI® display and available Audi virtual cockpit help create a driver-centric space. A newly designed infotainment system includes standard Audi smartphone interface, which provides Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto integration.
The all-new A4 allroad also features a redesigned 2.0-liter TFSI® engine and, for the first time, a seven-speed S tronic dual-clutch automatic transmission that melds efficiency wîth dynamic shifting for an overall sportier drive. With the cargo capacity and rugged performance of a crossover and the premium luxury and advanced technologies only an Audi can offer, the A4 allroad is the smarter choice for exploring just about any road.
A4 allroad highlights:
• New standard quattro all-wheel drive wîth ultra technology
• New standard adaptive dampers wîth a redesigned five-link suspension
• Five drive-select modes; comfort, auto, dynamic, individual, and offroad
• Increased ground clearance of 34 mm (compared to the sedan)
• Offroad characteristics including enhanced underbody protection, powerful wheel arches wîth cladding, raised aluminum roof rails, side sills wîth matte silver inserts, and hill descent control
• Standard panoramic sunroof, leather seating surfaces, and three-zone automatic climate controlPowertrain and Performance
The A4 allroad comes equipped wîth a redesigned 2.0-liter TFSI engine wîth 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque reaches 60 mph in 5.9 seconds. Also new, for the first time, A4 allroad drivers can enjoy the benefits of a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission,with quick gear shifts and sporty performance.
Offroad Tuned Suspension
| ||Vital Stats|
|Engine : 2.0 L., 4-cylinder|
Power: 252 hp
Torque: 273 ft-lbs
The A4 allroad also features a new system of quattro all-wheel drive wîth ultra technology that is optimized for performance and efficiency. The new drivetrain utilizes an electronic multi-plate clutch along wîth a decoupling rear axle differential to achieve fully variable torque distribution. This quattro system wîth ultra technology allows for intelligent, proactive control of the all-wheel drive system to predictively modify the torque application as the driver demands or the road conditions require.
The A4 allroad has a newly redesigned five-link suspension wîth standard adaptive dampers, an option on the A4 sedan, which helps to deliver a comfortable ride both on and offroad, along wîth the ability to firm the dampers for dynamic driving on curvy roads. Optimized §teering-rack placement direct at the wheel centers allows for excellent §teering precision. Improved handing and comfort was achieved through the reduced unsprung weight of lightweight aluminum control-arm components and revised elastokinematic attributes.
An increased ground clearance of 34 mm over the A4 sedan, achieved through a taller suspension and higher profile tires, makes the A4 allroad a capable choice for offroad terrain. The allroad also features a new version of Audi drive select wîth expanded functionality. In addition to comfort, auto, dynamic, and individual modes, the allroad also includes an offroad mode which adjusts aspects of the engine, transmission, §teering, and disables Audi pre sense to provide the maximum benefit while offroad.
Interior and Exterior Design
The exterior design of the A4 allroad includes a more muscular silhouette, which showcases the vehicle's adventurous spirit, while design cues such as the progressive undercut-look of the LED headlights, pay homage to its A4 family roots. With the offroad body cladding or the refined full-paint finish option, the A4 allroad fits seamlessly into any environment. Like the exterior, the new interior design includes greater attention to detail through functional refinements and additional driver-focused technologies. The uniquely designed acoustic windshield helps keep cabin-noise to an exceptionally low level and passengers enjoy improved interior space wîth increased shoulder and rear legroom.
Exterior Design highlights include:
• Singleframe grille wîth vertical chrome slats to emphasize the vehicle's increased ground clearance over the A4 sedan
• Robust underbody guard, aluminum roof rails and powerful wheel arches wîth cladding available in contrast add to the offroad character of the allroad
• Optional high-gloss full-paint finish option offers exterior visual refinement for a premium esthetic
• For the first time on an A4, available dual pane glass for the front side windows enhance the premium interior acoustics
• Standard Audi xenon plus headlights wîth LED daytime running lights and LED taillights wîth dynamic turn signals, or optional full LED headlights
• Standard 18' 5-V-spoke design wheels wîth contrasting gray finish
Interior Design highlights include:
• Three-spoke multifunction §teering wheel wîth shift paddles
• Standard three-zone automatic climate control wîth wing-design wrap-around dashboard and diffuser air vent helps recreate natural airflow
• Standard panoramic sunroof
• 8-way power front seats wîth 4-way power lumbar support for driver
• Split-folding rear seatback wîth 40/20/40 configurationTechnology
The allroad continues to offer benchmark technology including the available Audi virtual cockpit and for the first time, a full-color head-up display is available, projecting relevant driving information in the driver's field of vision.Technology features include:
• Available Audi virtual cockpit features a large, 12.3-inch display that can deliver vibrant color at 60 frames per second wîth NVIDIA® quad core processing power. The virtual cockpit helps make viewing and navigating via the large Google Map images supported wîth 4G LTE (where available).
• Available full-color head-up display, projecting relevant driving information in the driver's field of vision.
• The available 19 speaker, 755 watt Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound Sound System creates a revolutionary, life-like in-vehicle musical experience.Audi connect
Audi connect packages together all applications that help connect the A4 allroad wîth the internet, the owner and the surrounding infrastructure.
The next generation of Audi connect now offers three available options – Connect care, Connect prime and Connect plus.
• Connect care, which is included wîth the purchase of the vehicle, provides assistance and security services in emergency situations including Stolen Vehicle Locator, online roadside assistance, Audi service interval notification and automatic crash notification.
• Connect prime offers navigation services such as Google Earth™, myAudi Destinations, Audi Semi-Dynamic Route Guidance wîth INRIX XD® Traffic and information services such as fuel prices, online travel info, internet radio and Twitter® alerts, among other features.
• Connect Plus brings the power of 4G LTE to the vehicle's built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot wîth the ability to connect up to eight devices (complimentary 6-month trial subscription).
• The Audi connect mobile application has also been updated to support new remote services designed for the ÚS market which including Curfew, Speed, and Valet Alerts, remote lock and unlock capability and online car finder.
The all-new A4 allroad incorporates many driver assistance features that are designed to help drivers navigating the road and traffic wîth confidence.Driver assistance features:
• In the case of an impending collision, standard Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pretensioning the front safety belts, and preparing the brake system for a quicker response during an unexpected or emergency maneuver.
• Standard Audi pre sense city can detect cornering and stationary vehicles as well as pedestrians, at speeds of up to 52 mph and can initiate full braking when a potential collision is detected.
• Available traffic sign recognition (as part of the Driver assistance package) including vehicle speed warning can detect speed limits and displays the information in the Audi virtual cockpit or driver information system. Additionally, the system helps evaluate various driving conditions, no passing zones and school and construction zones.
• Available Audi active lane assist observes lane markings and can provide gentle §teering wheel warning vibrations if it is determined that the vehicle is approaching the edge of the lane without signaling.
• Audi side assist (available on Premium Plus and standard wîth Prestige trim) provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housing at speeds above 9 mph).
• Audi pre sense rear (available on Premium Plus models and standard wîth Prestige trim) helps monitor the traffic following the vehicle and takes similar actions to Audi pre sense basic.
• Vehicle exit assist (as part of Audi side assist) can help prevent incidents wîth a side assist warning light, which blinks and helps alert the driver when vehicles or cyclists are approaching from behind as the vehicle doors are opened.
• Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to stop the vehicle.
• In the event that a sharp maneuver is needed to avoid a collision, collision avoidance assist (as part of the Driver assistance package) supports the driver when turning into the adjacent lane.
• Turn assist (as part of the Driver Assistance package) can detect the approach of oncoming traffic, when making a left-hand turn at an intersection (when vehicle is traveling above 1 mph and below 7 mph and turn signal is activated).
• Available Adaptive cruise control wîth stop & go and traffic jam assist helps maintains set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed. Between 0-40 mph, traffic jam assist combines acceleration, braking and §teering guidance, which can take the stress out of driving in congested traffic.Source - Audi
Introduced in 1994, the Audi A4 was a compact executive vehicle built by the German automaker Audi that was the successor to the Audi 80. This vehicle holds the distinction of single-handedly reviving the Audi brand following its large sales slump two years prior. The A4 was available as a saloon/sedan or an estate/wagon. During the 2nd version the model was called the B6 and the 3rd generation was dubbed the B7. A Cabriolet version was also introduced, though it was not retained for the 4th generation which was called the B8. The A4 quickly became a favorite among luxury-car buyers thanks to its sleek look, well-appointed cabin, sharp handling and available Quattro all-wheel drive.
The interior featured a truly European ambience with its firm, comfortable seating, it also featured tight panel gaps, high-quality materials and gave a very supple ride and willing performance.
Internally, the first generation of the Audi A4 was known as the Typ 8D and was introduced in 1994 on the Volkswagen B5 platform which was shared with the fourth generation Volkswagen Passat. The platform featured a longitudinal engine and standard front-wheel drive though many enthusiasts preferred the optional Quattro four-wheel drive system. Originally the A4 was introduced as a four-door saloon/sedan, but the following year the Avant; Estate/wagon showed up the following year.
European customers could opt for a variety of engines that included between 1.6 and 2.8 liters, and a 1.9 L Diesel that was available with VW's new 'Pumpe Düse' technology that was capable of achieving a high power value of 110 PS. At the time, the Audi's 2.8 L V6 that was carried over from the original 80/90 was the only engine option that was available in North America until 1997.
The first model in the Volkswagen Group, the Audi A4 featured the new 1.8 L 20V motor with five valves per cylinder and was based on the unit Audi Sport had developed for their Supertouring race vehicle. Producing 150 PS, a turbocharged version had 155 ft/lb of torque. In 1996, this technology was added to the V6 family, beginning with the 2.8 L V6 30V which now produced 193 PS.
Based on the unit that Porsche had developed for their 964-generation 911, Audi introduced their new Tiptronic transmission on the B5 platform. Offering a choice of driving the vehicle as either a fully automatic operation or with a manual override of the gear ratios, the transmission was a conventional automatic gearbox with a torque converter.
In 1997 a revised B5 Audi A4 range was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Sales began in Europe in early 1998. Replacing the 2.8 L 12-valve was a newly introduced 2.8 L 30-valve engine. The range received an important addition, the 2.5 L V6 TDI diesel engine with 150 PS and standard Quattro and a six-speed gearbox, along with the new high-performance S4. New updates included new taillights, door handles, headlights, and other minor exterior and interior changes.
Halfway through the 1998 model year, the 1.8T engine was available outside of Europe and had its power output raised to 170 PS. The original KKK KO3 turbocharger was upgraded with a KO3s (sport) unit. The 30-valve unit that had been available in Europe for two years replaced the 12-valve V6 engine. An even higher performance RennSport model was introduced in 1999; the RS4 Avant which was available only in Avant body-style just like the RS2.
The Audi A4 introduced a hybrid version in 1997. Audi was the first European car manufacturer to put a hybrid vehicle into series production, the third generation Audi duo then based on the A4 Avant. Internally, the all new A4 model was dubbed the Typ 8E and was introduced in late 2000 and was now riding on the all new Volkswagen B6 platform.
The all-new styling of the Audi A4 was inspired on the C5; second generation Audi A6. The original 1.6 L base model didn't change, but most other petrol/gas engines received power upgrades or displacement increases. Now available in two additional versions, the 1.8 L 20-valve Turbo came with either 150 or 180 PS, this one came with a standard six-speed gearbox. The naturally aspirated 1.8 L straight-4 and 2.8 L V6 were replaced by 2.9 L and all-aluminum 3.0 L units. The most powerful of these was capable of 220 PS and 221 lb/ft of torque. Upgraded to 130 PS, the 1.9 TDI engine was now available with Quattro permanent four-wheel drive. The 2.5 V6 TDI high-end model was unveiled with 180 PS and standard Quattro. Halfway through 2001 the Avant was unveiled.
Audi upgraded power to the 1.8 Turbo engine for 2002 to163 and 190 PS. The 190 was designated by a red T with both available with Quattro and in the 2.5 TDI intermediate version to 163 PS. Fuel Stratified Injection was also available with a 2.0 engine. The S4 was reintroduced the following year and was now powered by a 344 PS 4.2 LV8 engine. An A4 Cabriolet convertible variant was also introduced and finally replaced the 80-based Audi Cabriolet that had been discontinued in 1998. The variant included an electro-hydraulic operated hood which could be lowered in less than 30 seconds and also incorporated some styling changes which found their way to the saloon version.
Generally regarded as being the best of its type in the entire world, a continuously variable transmission was developed by LuK, named multitronic which was the replacement of the Tiptronic on front-wheel drive models. This transmission was well praised due to its light weight and promptness in response. The use of this transmission was limited to models with a maximum of 229 lb/ft of torque.
The trunk was redesigned to remove the extension of the top edge with a smoother fold line, and the taillight assembly now forms part of the top line. Introduced in the North American market, an 'Ultra Sport package' named Ultra Sport came along shortly before the B6 was replaced by the B7. This package included aluminum interior trim and doors sills, front and rear spoilers, 'S line' steering wheel, side valence and 18-inch RS4 wheels.
In 2004 Audi introduced a very largely revised A4 with the internal designation of B7. The new range A4 continued to utilize the already existing Volkswagen B6 platform, a chassis derived from the outgoing B6, but featuring heavily revised steering settings, new engine ranges, suspension geometry, navigation systems and chassis electronics. The internal platform nomenclature used PL46 for both B6 and B7 chassis. Also unchanged from the B6 A4 were the Typ 8E and 8H internal designations.
Many additions were added to the engine lineup. FSI, or Fuel Stratified Injection was introduced in 2005 on the 2.0 TFSI and 3.2 V6 FSI petrol/gasoline engines along with other refinements, and increased power output to 200 and 255 PS. Both engines utilize a four-valve cylinder design. The earlier 5-valve design was not compatible with the FSI direct injection system. Combining Pumpe Düse, or PD, technology, the 2.0 TDI diesel engine with 16 valves for the first time, and the larger 2.5 TDI was increased to 3.0 L offering 204 PS Quattro permanent four-wheel drive remained available on most A4 models. The 5-speed manual transmission was finally deleted in favor of a 6-speed. Once again, multitronic transmission is available on front-wheel drive models. A 6-speed Tiptronic transmission is available on Quattro four-wheel drive models.
Audi reintroduced the ultra-high performance RS4 to the lineup, in addition to the higher-performance S4 which carried over the powertrain of the B6 S4. This was the first time on the saloon/sedan and Cabriolet body with a normally aspirated 4.2 V8 FSI engine. The 3rd generation Torsen T-3 quattro system used a ‘default' asymmetric 40:60 front-rear torque distribution.
Introduced in late 2005, a limited edition variant was dubbed 'DTM Edition' and was reintroduced in 2006 as a regular option. The 2.0T FSI engine was now engineered to 220 PS wit standard Quattro. In the same manner of the C6 Audi A6, the front grill assembly has changed to be a tall trapezoidal shape. Arriving later than the other two body variants, the B7 Cabriolet model was introduced. Sales began in February of 2006. The Cabriolet featured an entry-level 2.0 TDI version.
Offering many safety features, the Audi A4 featured side airbags, anti-lock brakes, Electronic Stabilization Programme and its available Quattro four-wheel drive. The Audi A4 also received the IIHS 'Top Safety Pick For 2007'. The A4 Avant with the diesel engine is considered to be the most reliable vehicle available on the market according to 2007 Swedish vehicle inspection data, with vehicle inspection rejection rate of 0.0% in 3 year old category. Face-lifted and rebadged, the B7 series became the SEAT Exeo in 2008 with styling changes to both the front and rear, and also incorporated interior trim from the A4 Cabriolet.
In August of 2007, Audi introduced photos, the first official photos of the B8 series A4. The vehicle was unveiled to the public at the September 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show. Available models were the Saloon/Sedan and the Avant (estate/wagon). The Avant debuted at the March 2008 Geneva Auto Show.
Built on a variant of the Audi Modular Longitudinal Platform, the B8 A4 was constructed on a platform which was also utilized in the Audi A5 coupe. Earlier A4 chassis were limited in wheelbase because of the relationship between the engine, front axle and transmission, and the MLP allows for a reduced front overhang. This resulted in a greater wheelbase length without he same increase in overall length. The center of gravity is now effectively redistributed rearwards, which now improved handling by effectively balancing vehicle mass in between the front and rear axles. The front:rear weight ratio of B8 A4 is approximately 55:45 depending on the body style and engine. Handling was also improved over earlier A4 platforms due to the relocation of the steering rack in front of the axle.
The length of the B8 A4 was also increased in length by 117 mm (4.6 in) over the earlier Audi B7 and gave room for additional seating legroom. The curb weight dropped around 10%, the trunk was increased to 17 cu ft. for the saloon version. With the rear seats folded down, the A4 Avant has a maximum capacity of 1,430 liters. Introduced in the China market in November 2008 was a long wheelbase version called the A4L. This model came with a 2.4 inch longer wheelbase and 2.0 inch longer length.
Standard on the A4 was the MMI system; Multi Media Interface, electronic park brake, LED daytime running lights and speed sensitive steering. Optional on the Audi A4 was Audi Side Assist, Audi Lane Assist, Advanced Key; keyless entry and start, adaptive cruise control, Bang & Olufsen sound system, navigation system with full MMI with 7 inch screen, adaptive headlights with cornering technology, Audi drive select and advanced parking system front and rear plus reversing camera.
In 2004, the Audi Sport A4 DTM was introduced and was entered into the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters series. The DTM was a V8 engined silhouette racing car that resembled the A4. These vehicles are identified by Audi Sport R-series designations.
Today buyers can purchase an Audi A4 in convertible, sedan and wagon configurations. The wagon and A4 sedan are in their fourth generation which began in the 2009 model year. The newest A4 sedans and wagons feature more interior room, more high-tech gadgetry and improved driving dynamics. Since convertible A4's have not yet been produced on the four-generation current platform, the Audi continues to be sold in 3rd generation models.By Jessica Donaldson