NEW XJ50 ANNIVERSARY EDITION JOINS LUXURY SALOON LINE-UP
• Jaguar celebrates half a century of XJ luxury saloon production with special XJ50 model
• Powered by a choice of 3.0-litre petrol and diesel or 5.0-litre petrol engines and available in both standard and long-wheelbase
• Anniversary edition features exclusive exterior design elements including unique badging and distinctive 20-inch alloy wheels
• Key interior design additions include illuminated branded treadplates, Leaper-embossed headrests, exclusive debossed armrest and XJ50 badging
• New 2019 model year Jaguar XJ goes on sale from spring 2018
Whitley, ÚK, 25 April 2018 –
Jaguar is celebrating 50 years of the XJ luxury saloon with the introduction of the XJ50 anniversary edition. Featuring exclusive interior and exterior design details and a choice of powerful engines, the XJ50 is a fitting tribute to Jaguar's iconic luxury sports saloon.
The XJ was launched in 1968 and has been the choice of celebrities, politicians and the British royal family for five decades. Aside from its regular appearances at regal events and official appointments, the XJ has established a reputation as a serenely refined and comfortable luxury car.
To celebrate this landmark the XJ50 introduces a series of exclusive exterior design elements including unique front and rear badging, Autobiography style front and rear bumpers, a gloss black front grille and 20-inch alloy wheels with a unique finish. Customers also get a choice of four exterior colours; Fuji White, Santorini Black, Loire Blue and Rosello Red.
'The XJ is the ultimate expression of saloon car luxury and refinement and has been for half a century. We couldn't let such a landmark pass without recognising 50 years of Jaguar comfort and performance and the XJ50 is as desirable as it is understated. From its soft-grain leather upholstery to its distinctive alloy wheels, the enhancements are designed to showcase its traditional strengths – its unmistakable presence, trademark refinement and engaging driving dynamics.
Ian Callum, Jaguar Director of Design
The unique design touches continue inside, highlighting the saloon's exceptional comfort, where soft grain diamond-quilted leather seats feature a headrest embossed with the Jaguar leaper. An XJ50 intaglio features alongside the embossed XJ50 logo in the centre armrest and additional badging can be found on the illuminated treadplates. Bright metal pedals enhance the car's performance character.
The unique model is powered by a choice of 340PS 3.0-litre V6 petrol or 300PS 3.0-litre diesel powerplants. These engines provide dynamic performance with 0-100km/h times of 5.9 seconds (0-60mph in 5.7 seconds) and 6.2 seconds (0-60mph in 5.9 seconds) respectively.
In North America customers can also choose the 510PS 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine which is able to accelerate from 0-100km/h in 4.9 seconds (0-60mph in 4.7 seconds).
The XJ50 is available in both standard and long-wheelbase derivatives, so whether customers plan to drive themselves or recline in comfort, there is an XJ50 for them.
AT A GLANCE
• The XJ reaffirms its status as the most dynamic, distinctive luxury saloon
• Anniversary edition XJ50 and high performance XJR575 available alongside XJ Luxury, Premium Luxury, Portfolio, R-Sport and top-of-the-range Autobiography models
• XJ50 celebrates five decades of the flagship XJ luxury saloon and features a selection of unique exterior and interior design elements
• Bold exterior design includes full LED headlights and unique double 'J-Blade signature' daytime running lights
• Powerful 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine delivers 300PS/700Nm with CO2 emissions of 185g/km
• Performance flagship XJR575 delivers 575PS and 700Nm for seamless acceleration from its supercharged 5.0-litre V8 engine
• Touch Pro infotainment offers door-to-door navigation, seamless iOS and Android connectivity
• 10-inch central touchscreen features high-quality graphics and intuitive user interface
• Reconfigurable 12.3-inch Interactive Driver Display offers full-screen navigation
• All-Surface Progress Control enhances traction on low-friction surfaces such as snow and ice – all the driver has to do is steer
• All-wheel drive (AWD) delivers reassuring levels of grip for all-weather confidence
• All engines now equipped with particulate filters to further reduce emissions*
• Black Pack options for subtly enhanced exterior styling
• Suite of advanced Driver Assistance systems including Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist, Reverse Traffic Detection, Blind Spot Monitoring, 360-degree Surround Camera System and semi-automated bay and parallel parking
The XJ is the pinnacle of Jaguar's saloon car line-up. The luxury sports saloon delivers an unrivalled combination of Jaguar design and driving dynamics along with the ultimate in luxury refinement for drivers and passengers.
As part of the 2019 model year updates, Jaguar is marking 50 years since the introduction of the iconic saloon with a unique XJ50 anniversary model featuring exclusive interior and exterior enhancements and a choice of Jaguar's advanced engines.
Available in standard and long-wheelbase, drivers can choose between the refined 340PS 3.0-litre V6 petrol or powerful 300PS 3.0-litre diesel powerplants. These engines provide dynamic performance with 0-100km/h times of 5.9 seconds (0-60mph in 5.7 seconds) and 6.2 seconds (0-60mph in 5.9 seconds) respectively.
Customers in North America can also specify the vehicle with the 510PS 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine which is capable of accelerating from 0-100km/h in 4.9 seconds (0-60mph in 4.7 seconds).
Únique exterior design elements for the XJ50 includes Autobiography-style front and rear bumpers. These mark the anniversary edition out alongside purposeful new 20-inch Venom wheels, a black front grille and unique badging to the rear and side vents. The anniversary vehicle comes in a choice of Fuji White, Santorini Black, Loire Blue and Rosello Red.
The luxurious cabin features soft grain diamond-sewn seats featuring an embossed leaper in the headrests and a debossed XJ50 logo on the centre armrest. Further unique anniversary edition details include intaglio branding and XJ50-badged illuminated treadplates, alongside anodised gearshift paddles and bright metal pedals.
The authoritative yet elegant design is formed around Jaguar's aluminium-intensive architecture. Its low-slung coupe-like stance, precise lines and carefully judged proportions ensure it is instantly recognisable as a Jaguar from any angle.
Inside, customers experience a perfect combination of intricate handmade details and beautifully crafted materials such as soft-grain leather and inlay veneers alongside advanced technology. Rear occupants benefit from over a metre of legroom in long wheelbase models.
'The Jaguar XJ is the largest model in our saloon car line-up and retains the physical presence and graceful design customers expect from a Jaguar flagship. Anyone who sees this car immediately knows it is both great to drive and to sit in. The intricate details inside and out give owners and passengers the feeling that they are in the presence of something truly special.'
Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar
Creating a dynamic and refined driving experience has always been key to the Jaguar XJ's appeal. Advanced Adaptive Dynamics dampers adjust to suit the conditions and driving style by monitoring the car up to 500 times a second. Analysing acceleration, cornering, throttle and brake pedal activity, and working alongside the air suspension system, the intelligent set-up improves body control in dynamic driving without compromising ride comfort.
Jaguar's leadership in steering feel and vehicle dynamics is enhanced by the application of electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) for rear-wheel-drive models. This set-up also underpins a range of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) including Lane Keep Assist, Driver Condition Monitor and bay and parallel Park Assist.
Jaguar's intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) technology ensures owners can be confident in all weathers. The advanced system reacts to the road conditions and delivers traction where it is most needed. Should the rear wheels begin to slip it will automatically and instantly redistribute torque to the front wheels.
The vehicle's ability is also outstanding in rear-wheel-drive form with All-Surface Progress Control (ASPC) coming into its own in low-grip conditions. Developed for low-speed driving in adverse conditions, ASPC automatically manages the brakes and throttle to deliver the best possible traction, ensuring the vehicle is able to pull away smoothly and without drama: all the driver has to do is steer. ASPC is fitted to all automatic models and operates between 3.6km/h (2.2mph) and 30km/h (19mph) with the driver using the cruise control switches to select and maintain the desired speed.
'Our flagship saloon is more dynamic and distinctive than ever. We've engineered the XJ to deliver even greater levels of luxury and performance. Featuring our world-class Touch Pro infotainment system, luxurious interior materials and finishes which create an even more bespoke feel, and our powerful petrol and diesel engines, the XJ rewards drivers and passengers like no other luxury car.'
Erol Mustafa, Chief Product Engineer, Jaguar XJ
Matching the tradition and craftsmanship of the Jaguar XJ is a raft of state-of-the-art technology, including the seamless and intuitive Touch Pro infotainment system and Connect Pro package which keep the XJ connected to the world. The intuitive technologies provides features such as door-to-door navigation, 4G Wi-Fi and a 1,300W MeridianTM Sound System. This can all be accessed through the 10-inch central touchscreen with smartphone-like usability for greater ease-of-use.
Touch Pro features a high-performance quad-core processor and runs on state-of-the-art, ultra-fast ethernet, and a network technology that offers exceptional data transfer rates. Combined, they deliver incredible graphics and fast response times.
The latest in stereo camera technology enables a number of intelligent safety features such as Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist systems. Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist takes the stress out of motorway driving in stop-go traffic by tracking the vehicle in front, at a safe distance.
Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) enables Jaguar's Adaptive Speed Limiter. Once initiated, the system monitors speed limit signs, compares them with navigation data and, when a change in speed limit is posted, regulates vehicle speed by automatically accelerating up to a higher limit or slowing it down to a lower limit.
The XJ range consists of:
• XJ Luxury
• XJ Premium Luxury
• XJ Portfolio
• XJ R-Sport
• XJ Autobiography
• XJ50The powertrain range consists of:
• 300PS 3.0-litre V6 diesel automatic RWD
• 340PS 3.0-litre V6 supercharged petrol automatic RWD/AWD
• 470PS 5.0-litre V8 supercharged petrol automatic RWD
• 510PS 5.0-litre V8 supercharged petrol automatic RWD
• 575PS 5.0-litre V8 supercharged petrol automatic RWD The XJ is manufactured at Jaguar Land Rover's Castle Bromwich plant, alongside the F-TYPE sports car, XF sports saloon, XF Sportbrake and XE sports saloon. Source - Jaguar