With a striking redesign for the 2018 model year, the Acura RLX reflects the brand's new Precision Crafted Performance design direction, creating a more substantial and aspirational presence for Acura's top-of-the-line luxury sports sedan. (concept carz) In addition, the 2018 RLX benefits from significant upgrades to its interior design, materials and technology, including the addition of Traffic Jam Assist to the AcuraWatch™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, offered as standard equipment on all models.
The 2018 RLX, Acura's most powerful vehicle after the NSX supercar, also offers improved performance and response. Models equipped with Acura's proprietary three-motor Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® system benefit from a lighter hybrid battery pack (Intelligent Power Únit) and from improved control logic derived from the company's experience in development of the NSX. The 2018 Acura RLX with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS®) receives a new, more refined and responsive 10-speed automatic transmission. (posted on conceptcarz.com)Powertrain
As the most sophisticated and powerful Acura sedan ever, the 2018 Acura RLX with Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH- AWD™) shares technology with the NSX supercar, creating a powerful and precise driving experience unmatched in the segment. For 2018, Acura has simplified the RLX trim structure to make the brand's innovative Sport Hybrid technology more desirable and accessible by streamlining the offering to two well-equipped variants.
The 377- total system horsepower 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid seamlessly integrates a direct-injected V6 with three electric motors and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ for instant acceleration, precise handling, outstanding all-weather performance and excellent fuel economy. Based on developments from the NSX supercar, the RLX Sport Hybrid powertrain and dynamic handling has been further optimized.
The 310-horsepower Acura RLX with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ is now mated to a new 10-speed Automatic Transmission (10AT) delivering a more responsive and refined driving experience, with improved acceleration and passing times. Engineered for high efficiency, low weight and low inertia, and an exceptionally wide ratio range, the 10-speed automatic maximizes the RLX's performance and fuel efficiency.Body and Exterior
Inspired by the Acura Precision Concept, the dramatically restyled 2018 RLX and RLX Sport Hybrid exteriors are defined by new front and rear bodywork, side sills, wheels, lighting and trim. The innovations begin with Acura's signature diamond pentagon grille with chrome surround, which is integrated together with a powerfully sculpted hood, front fascia and bold chrome-trimmed lower air openings.
This design incorporates restyled LED daytime running lights (DRL), LED fog lights (RLX Sport Hybrid) and Jewel-Eye™ LED high- and low-beam headlights. The RLX lighting provides efficient, powerful down-the-road-illumination, with a windswept appearance that extends rearward to the new front fenders with their sculpted, muscular wheel arches.
The 2018 Acura RLX is complimented by six new exterior colors (seven total) including Fathom Blue Pearl and two premium paint offerings – Brilliant Red Metallic and Majestic Black Pearl.Chassis
As a further development of the RLX, the 2018 RLX's handling and ride comfort have been further optimized for 2018. Developed to be true 'driver's cars,' the new RLX P-AWS and RLX Sport Hybrid both deliver improved linearity of yaw response. With a smooth and quiet ride, all-wheel steering on the RLX P-AWS and electric motor-powered torque vectoring on the RLX Sport Hybrid, the 2018 RLX lineup offers technology and performance unmatched by other vehicles in the competitive luxury segment.
Proven technologies that help define the RLX P-AWS and RLX Sport Hybrid as comfortable, confident and capable luxury sport sedans continue for 2018, including high-output Electric Power Steering (EPS), double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension, Amplitude Reactive Dampers, and a selectable Sport mode. Together, these advanced technologies allow the updated RLX and RLX Sport Hybrid to master driving conditions as disparate as city traffic and freeways, winding roads and wide-open rural Interstates, inclement weather conditions, and sudden emergency situations. Accurate, confident and fun-to-drive, the 2018 RLX and RLX Sport Hybrid represent the finest interpretation yet of Acura's top-of-the-line sport luxury sedan. (concept carz)Key traits of the RLX chassis dynamics include:
• Agile and accurate cornering with linear response
• Smooth and connected, naturally fluid handling
• Outstanding high-speed stability
• Comfortable, flat and smooth ride
• Confident braking performance
• Outstanding steering feel
• Outstanding cabin quietness
Interior and Key Features
The RLX's interior is designed and engineered to provide a high degree of luxury, refinement, and technological sophistication, while supporting an engaging driving experience. With accommodating seating for five, highlighted by an unusually roomy rear seating area, the RLX combines versatility with welcoming passenger comfort. High-end premium elements include a soft-touch interior features, new alloy and woodgrain finishes and new standard upgraded Milano leather seating.
For 2018, the Acura RLX receives redesigned seats featuring high-contrast piping and stitching, as well as a new Espresso interior color option, which adds sophistication to an interior with class- leading space and comfort.
Standard features on the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid include premium Krell Audio System with 14 speakers, Surround View Camera, front and rear parking sensors, LED fog lights, remote engine start, ventilated and heated front seats, heated outboard rear seats, heated steering wheel and more.
Key Interior Features
• Úpgraded seat design with Milano leather
• Milano leather-wrapped steering wheel with Euro-style stitching
• Sophisticated interior styling with high-quality fit and finish
• Driver-oriented control layout
• Advanced and intuitive instrumentation and controls
• Shift-by-wire gear selector (now on both RLX models)
• Large trunk: 14.9 cu-ft. in RLX P-AWS; 12.0 cu-ft. in RLX Sport Hybrid
• Roomy 5-person interior with 102.1 cu-ft. of passenger volume
• Driver's and front passenger's 12-way power seats, including 4-way power lumbar
• Ventilated front seats (RLX Sport Hybrid)
• Head-Úp Instrument Display (RLX Sport Hybrid) Key Comfort and Convenience Features
• Smart Entry and Push Button Start/Stop
• Remote engine start (RLX Sport Hybrid)
• Hill Start Assist
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror
• Electric Parking Brake with Brake Hold
Key Audio and Connectivity Features
• Acura/ELS® Studio Premium 14-speaker audio system (RLX P-AWS)
• Krell ultra-premium 14-speaker audio system (RLX Sport Hybrid)
• Pandora® and Aha™ integration
• SMS text messaging function with compatible cell phones and e-mail function with compatible cell phones
• ÚSB port connectivity (for iPod®, iPhone®, or 'memory stick' storage devices)
• Auxiliary jack interface (for external MP3 music players)
• Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface with auto-pairing
• Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™ and 8-inch screen
• Surface street and highway traffic
• Traffic rerouting
• GPS-linked climate control
• Next-generation AcuraLink™ with Standard, Connect or Premium PackageSafety and Driver Assistance
The 2018 RLX features the AcuraWatch™ suite of technologies as standard equipment, which has been enhanced with the addition of Traffic Jam Assist (TJA), a first for Acura. TJA helps reduce driver stress in highly congested traffic situations by helping keep the vehicle in its lane, effectively extending the lane-centering capabilities of the vehicle to include low-speed travel, while Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow maintains an interval between the RLX and the car detected ahead.
AcuraWatch™ also includes Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow, and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW). AcuraWatch™ uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision.Source - Acura