Sold for $121,000 at 2007 RM Sothebys. By 1953 the DB2 had grown into a four-place saloon, and receiving the name DB2/4. The standard configuration was the fastback bodywork, and essentially giving the world its first modern hatchback. In the mid-1954s a 3.0-liter engine block was developed generating 140 horsepower and carrying the car to speeds of 120 mph.
In 19555 the MKII version of the DB2/4 was introduced. It featured a redesigned bonnet and dashboard, and two individual bucket seats replaced the bench of the earlier cars.
This vehicle was chassis number AM3001103 was the first of just 34 production MKII Fixed Head Coupes (FHC), also known as notchback coupes, built by Aston Martin. The idea for the FHC had come about through a 1954 MKI with chassis number LML/515. It had been sent to Mulliner of Birmingham to be fitted with a fixed 'hardtop' roof with similar roof lines to that of the convertible. The result was aesthetically pleasing plus it added additional headroom for the rarely used rear seats. This vehicle, AM3001103, was based on the prototype LML/515 and completed in October of 1955. It was created from aluminum alloy at the Tickford works in Newport Pagnell. It is believed to have been the factory demonstrator and possibly the London Motor Show Car.
After its show tour the car was sold to its first owner, J. Kennedy of Ealing. It was later purchased by M.H. White of Ealing who later brought the car to North America. It was bought by an individual from Toronto in 1978. Under this new ownership the car was extensively restored during a ten year time period. It was finished in its original two-tone color scheme of Bayard Crimson with Devon Stone and accented nicely with its beige Connolly leather and Wilton carpets.
Upon complete the car was brought to the UK Aston Martin Owner's Club's Britsmorton Court Concours in 1993 where it took top class honors. In the mid-1990s the car was purchased by London dealer Andre Bloom on behalf of a well-known collection where it remained until the summer of 2005 when it was purchased by another individual and imported to California.
In 2007 it was brought to the Monterey Sports & Classic Car Auction presented by RM Auctions, where it had an estimated value of $125,000 - $175,000. It was offered without reserve and sold for a high bid of $121,000. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
The DB name came from the name David Brown (later Sir David Brown), an individual who had purchased the Aston Martin Company. The DB series was built from 1950 through 1953 with only 411 examples being produced. Power was supplied by a W.O. Bentely designed Lagonda six-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 116 bhp and could propel the car to a top speed of 117 mph. The zero-to-sixty time was around 11.2 seconds. The Vantage series received 125 bhp.
The two-seater DB2's were available in two body styles, the coupe and drophead.
In 1953, the DB2/4 MK1 became available. This series featured a four seater, 2+2, saloon or drop head body style. The design went through minor changes with the most notable changes appearing in the front of the vehicle. The early versions of the vehicle featured a hatchback rear window.
The DB2/4 MK1's were originally powered by a 2.6 liter Vantage engine but was later replaced with a 3-liter, 140 bhp engine that was not only more powerful, it was heavier.
The MK1 series ended in 1955 with 565 examples being produced, 73 being dropheads.
The DB2/4 MK2 series began in 1995 and would continue until 1957. During this time frame, 199 examples were produced. There were two body styles available; a coupe and a convertible. Both had 2 doors and 4 seats. A hardtop style saloon was also available although less than 35 were produced.
Most MK2's were mechanically similar to the MK1's, however, later version received engine modifications that included larger valves and different cam shafts. The horsepower output was increased to 165.
In 1957, Aston Martin introduced the final derivation of the DB2 series, the DB MK III. It would continue production until 1959 and amass a production total of 551 units. It was offered in Saloon or Convertible body styles and consisted of 4 seats. The base engine produced 162 horsepower, propelling the vehicle to a top speed of 120 mph. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007
Drop Head Coupe Coachwork: Mulliner Chassis Num: LML/829 Engine Num: VB6J/384
This Aston Martin DB2/4 Drophead Coupe was completed at Newport Pagnell in May of 1955. It was a left-hand drive car from new, and was fitted with the larger and more powerful 3.0-liter Vantage-spec engine. It was finished in a Blue Haze exterior color over a red interior, and fitted with a beige convertible top. The car was soon exported to the United States, where it entered the care of Mr. R. W. Cooper of Washington, DC. The subsequent history remains vague, however it is believed to have had just three owners until being purchased by its most recent owner. Comprehensive restoration work has been performed in recent years.
It is currently finished in light blue metallic, believed to be a close match to the car's original applied Haze Blue. It has a dark blue soft top, chrome wire wheels with Vredestein tires, a set of period fog lights, Smith gauges, and the interior is trimmed in red, just as when it left the factory in 1955. There is a wood-rimmed steering wheel, a period radio, and the trunk is equipped with leather straps, along with a period suitcase.
The 2922cc dual overhead cam six-cylinder engine is fitted with 2 SU carburetors and offers 140 horsepower. There is a 4-speed manual transmission and 4-wheel drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2015
One of the three Aston Martins entered in the 1955 RAC Monte Carlo Rally, this particular car was driven by Maurice Gatsonides. The car was in the lead when it missed a checkpoint, eventually coming in seventh overall but first in class. Later that same year the car drove in the Mille Miglia, retiring early due to clutch failure.
Mark II DropHead Coupe
This is one of approximately 75 Drop head Coupes built. The subject of an extensive and well-researched restoration, the car has been shown at the Radnor Hunt and Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. It is identical to the car made famous in Alfred Hitchcock's movie, 'The Birds'.
The first Aston Martin was built in 1913 by London Singer dealers Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin. It was comprised of a Coventry Simplex engine and an Isotta Fraschini chassis. They were later joined by Count Louis Zborowski, who provided finical backing and was an avid racer. Under the patronage of Augustus Bertelli, the legacy of Aston Martin continued to grow in motorsports throughout the years. Motorsports was expensive, and by 1925 the company had entered into receivership, a trend common to the company throughout its lifetime.
In 1926 the Aston Martin Motors Ltd. was incorporated with A.C. (Bert) Bertelli as one of the new directors. With the help of Bertelli, the company weathered the run years and the various financial backers. To many, Bertelli is the father of Aston Martin and some of the greatest pre-War era cars were created under his guidance. Their Ulster and 1.5-liter cars enjoyed much success including at the 24 Hours of LeMans.
A.C. Bertelli left Aston Martin in 1937, soon after the arrival of the new 2-liter car. This car was a shift in the way the company did business, as it was less sporty and marketed more towards civilized driving. In 1939 the company introduced a prototype designed by Claude Hill dubbed the Atom. It was comprised of a steel spaceframe chassis and given a four door sedan body. When gearbox manufacturer David Brown was given the opportunity to drive the Atom in 1947, he decided to buy the company.
The Atom was a slightly odd looking vehicle but possessed many modern features which would become the starting-point for many new models in the years to come. Aston Martins push-rod engines, however, were deemed inadequate by Mr. Brown. Rather than creating a new engine design he simply purchased Lagonda and the rights to produce the W.O. Bentley designed twin-cam six-cylinder engine. This engine would become the basis for Aston Martin engines in the years to come, and would give the company many podium finishes.
While negotiations were still in process with Lagonda, a small number of two-liter Aston Martins were created based on the Atom design. At the time, they were called 2-Liter Sports; in modern times they are commonly referred to as the DB1.
A six-cylinder Aston Martin racer made its racing debut at the first 24 Hours of LeMans in the post-War era. The production version was show in April of 1950 at the New York Auto Show. It was called the DB2 and powered by a 2.6-liter Lagonda six clothed in a two-door coupe body designed by Frank Freely. The design was well received by the public and it appeared as though financial stability would soon become part of the company's lineage. The small factory struggled to keep pace with the demand for the new coupe as more interest was created by the Works DB2s as they scored several important victories including first and second in class at LeMans in 1950.
The first fifty cars created had large grilles which were later removed. In 1951, the Vantage model was introduced which was an upgraded version of the DB2. The DB3 became the company's racing entrant while the DB2 was their road going model.
The two-seater DB2's first major update came in 1953 when it was given two rear seats and a name change to DB2/4. This, as was the DB2, was available in either fixed or drop head configuration. Several chassis were delivered to custom coachbuilders to be fitted with unique creations orchestrated by customers desires and demands. Among them were the 'Wacky' Arnolt commissioned Bertone Spiders which were very attractive and equally as popular.
Though meant for the road, the DB2/4 models were used by privateers in many various sporting events with much success. This inspired the Works to prepare three examples for the Rallye Monte Carlo in 1955. Their efforts were rewarded with a first in class and a Team Prize.
Another major revision occurred in 1956 with the introduction of the DB2/4 MKII featuring a three-liter version of the six-cylinder engine producing 140 horsepower. An even more powerful version was available, featuring a high-lift camshaft, larger valves, and 165 horsepower. Coachbuilders were still given the opportunity to create their versions of the car. The most memorable was a Touring created Spyder shown at the 1956 Earls Court show in London. Three additional orders were placed but never materialized. Nevertheless, this would be the start of a relationship between the British based Aston Martin Company and the Touring Coachbuilding firm, resulting in spectacular creations throughout the years.
The fourth and final update to the DB2/4 was the MKIII, also known as the DB MK III, introduced in 1957. The basic design of the prior DB cars was retained, as it had proven to be very popular and versatile. The most noticeable change was to the front which received a revised frontal region. The big changes occurred elsewhere, with the vehicles mechanical components, including the standard 162 horsepower engine and front disc brakes. Both of these changes greatly improved the vehicles performance and handling capabilities.
In 1958 the DB2 Series was replaced by the DB4 which were powered by a 3.7-liter version of the six-cylinder engine. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2007
Despite taking place across the channel, the Bonhams sale Les Grandes Marques au Grand Palais in Paris on 9th February will witness the sale of some of Britains finest motor cars. More than 30 vehicles...
With three sales in five weeks, Barons has a busy time ahead in June and July, and the Barons team has amassed some superb entries. The intense auction action kicks off with British Heritage, Classic...
A rare and spectacular 1955 Aston Martin DB3S Sports Racing Car, chassis DB3S118, is the latest multi-million-dollar entry to join RMs highly anticipated Monterey sale, August 17–18 in California.