|1952 212 Export|
1951 Ferrari 212 Export news, pictures, and information
Chassis Num: 0086E
In 1952 modified cylinder heads were incorporated with produced another 5 hp.
A little over 12 Export versions were produced while production numbers for the Inter (road) version was around 80.
The rolling chassis 0086E complete with engine number 10E was completed in 1961 and sold to the Marzotto brothers in Italy. It is believed that the chassis had been constructed and completed prior to 1951 because of the very early engine number. Carrozzeria Fontana was tasked with creating a body for the vehicle.
Chassis 0086E was raced in Italy during the early part of the 1950s. Its inaugural race was at the Giro di Sicilia, meaning Tour of Sicily, where it came in first. It was driven by Count Vittorio Marzotto and Paolo Fontana. At Targa Florio it failed to finish. In 1952 it raced again at the Giro di Sicilia where it finished in seventh place. One of its biggest races of its career occurred in 1952 when it competed in the Mille Miglia, unfortunately, it did not finish. It continued to be raced at many races, hill climbs, and endurance runs through the early 1950's.
In 1951 Vignale was tasked with removing the 'Sicilian cart' body and constructing an export spider body for the car. It was later rebodied, again, by Fontana as a spider at the close of 1951.
By the close of the 1950's it was sent to the United States where it was raced by Jim Flynn, even seeing track time at Watkins Glen. In 1965 it was sold to Stan Hallinan residing in Concord, HM. He kept it covered and mostly unused for almost forty years. Since then, 212 Export s/n 0086E has not been seen by the public.
The current owner is Peter Markowski of RPM Restorations in Vermont. Markowski had learned about 0086E around the time it was sold to Hallinan. He offered to buy 0086E but Hallinan did not want to sell it. Markowski asked for the First Right of Refusal, if the vehicle should ever be offered for sale. Around 38 years later, Hallinan was ready to part with the vehicle.
During its lifetime 0086E has been bodied three times. In the mid-2000s, it was un-restored and unpainted, but still a priceless work of art. Tedious historical research and old world technologies are responsible for the Fontana body that it wears today.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Chassis Num: 0161 EL
The 1951 Ferrari 212 Export is powered by a 2,562-cc (2.56-liter) water-cooled, single-overhead cam, V12 engine developing 150 horsepower coupled to a five-speed manual transmission. The 2,530-pound vehicle was fitted with four-wheel drum brakes and top speed is listed at 118 mph.
The car seen here today is the 0161EL, which finished second in 1951. A great deal of mystery surrounds the two 1951 Ferraris, and the whereabouts of the winning Ferrari, 0171 EL, is still unknown.
The local roads for the Carrera Panamericana race consisted of crushed volcanic rock. Tire wear was a major problem for the Ferraris and holes were cut into the rear fender wells to monitor tire conditions. These holes are seen in the car here today. The 0160 EL was restored by Steve Tillack, Redondo Beach, CA, who did extensive research on both Ferraris and even with the aid of Ferrari's own records, was unable to conclude the fate of the 0171 EL, the car that finished first.
Alberto Ascari and Luigi Villoresi drove this particular Ferrari 212 Inter Vignale Coupe (serial number 0161 EL) to a second overall finish in the 1951 Carrera Panamerica in Mexico. The following year it finished seventh overall in the same event driven by a pair of privateers. It is powered by a 2.6-liter V-12 engine delivering up to 150 horsepower. The 212 Inter series of cars were built between late 1950 and 1953 and they sported a great variety of body styles. These varied significantly, even within the examples produced by a single coachbuilder, notably those from the Vignale design studio. A total of 26 Vignale Coupes were built on the 212 Inter chassis.
Chassis Num: 0080 E
This Ferrari 212 Export Coupe with coachwork by Vignale is carried by chassis number 0080E. It spent the early part of its life in Italy before coming to the United States in 1953. Since then, the car has had a rather impressive show history, including a visit to the Pebble Beach Concours, Cavallino Classic, Newport Beach Concours, Mille Miglia, and the Rodeo Drive Concours in the 1990s.
In recent years, it has been given a complete restoration. Currently, it is painted in Nero e Grgio, black with a silver roof. For most of its life it was red with a black roof.
By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2010
Chassis Num: 0106 E
Engine Num: 0106 E
|Sold for $1,870,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company.|
The car was delivered new to Count Sanseverino. Little is known of its early years. By 1960, Graham Warner of the Chequered Flag garage in London imported the Ferrari into England and, for a short period of time, was owned by John Barham. Late in 1960, it was purchased by David Clarke. In 1963, it was given engine number 0149E. In 1988, it was reunited with its original engine.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Amelia Island, Florida where it was estimated to sell for $800,000-$1,100,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $1,870,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2011
Chassis Num: 0108E
166, 195, and 212The 166 Inter was powered by a 2-liter V12 engine and produced 115 horsepower. These were road cars and were given odd chassis numbers. The even chassis numbers were reserved for the vehicles that were intended for racing. The bodies of the Inter vehicles were mostly Berlinetta and Coupes. At first, Touring handled most of the road going body construction but it was not long before Vignale, Ghia, Pinin Farina and others were creating custom coachwork. The 166 Inter was mechanically similar to the racing versions; it was 25 horsepower shy of its racing sibling. The suspension was wishbones in the front and a live rear axle. The chassis was a simple steel tubular frame. A replacement was created in 1950 after around 40 examples of the 166 Inter were produced. The displacement of the engine was enlarged to just over 2.3 liters which resulted in a unitary displacement of 195cc. Thus, the 195 Inter came into existence. A year later, the engine was enlarged even further resulting in the 212 Inter. After a year of production and with only 142 examples being created, the production of the 212 Inter ceased.
The 212 Inter was intended for road use while the 212 Export was primarily constructed for competition. Ferrari produced the rolling chassis and a Carrozzeria, meaning coachbuilder, was given the task of constructing the body. Each body was hand built and often to customers specifications. Because of this, the dimensions, bodystyles, and features of the car vary from one to another. Many of the 212 Inter vehicles sat atop a 2600mm wheelbase chassis; some were on a shorter, 2500mm wheelbase. The 212 Exports were also built atop of a 2250 wheelbase.
Cars produced between 1952 and 1953 were given the 'EU' designation on their chassis. The ones that proceeded these were given chassis numbers ending in S, E, and EL. The 'E' represented Export while the 'L' represented Lungo. One special chassis carried the 'T' designation on its chassis plate.
Under the hood of the long and graceful bonnet was a Colombo designed V12 engine mounted at 60-degrees. The engine came in a variety of flavors and left up to the customers to chose. Standard was the single Weber 36 DCF carburetor which was capable of producing 150 horsepower. Triple Weber 32 DCF carburetors could be purchased which increased horsepower to an impressive 170. All versions came with the standard Ferrari five-speed non-synchromesh gearbox and hydraulic drum brakes.
In total there were 82 versions of the 212 Inter constructed. Vignale was given the task of creating 37 of these. Fifteen of his creations were coupes, seven were convertibles, and thirteen were in Berlinetta configuration. Ghia was tasked with constructing 15 coupes and one convertible. Touring clothed one coupe and six Berlinetta's. The English coachbuilder, Abbot, created a four-seat cabriolet which was not that pleasing to the eye. Pinin Farina created two convertibles and eleven coupes. Styling varied among each of these coachbuilders with some being heavily dictated by the customer's wishes. Most of the cars were elegant, with few flamboyant cues, and well-proportioned body lines. They were minimalistic with little chrome and rounded, smooth bodies.
The 212 was replaced by the 250 Europa in 1953 and Pinin Farina had become Enzo Ferrari's carrozzeria of choice.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
|1969 United States Grand Prix: The Rise of Rindt|
|If there was one racer in the Formula One paddock that drivers and spectators alike believed should have scored his first victory before the start of the 1969 season it would almost unanimously be Jochen Rindt. Fast and flamboyant, the Austrian exhibited car control that enthralled just about everyone it seemed, except perhaps the cars themselves. Constantly undercut by poor reliability, it seemed Rindt was to forever suffer under such an oppressive weight. However, at the 1969 United States Gra...[Read more...]|
|Sir Stirling Moss Returns To The Amelia Concours|
|Sir Stirling Moss defined the image of a professional racing driver. By the time premature retirement was forced upon him by a racing accident at Goodwood in 1962, his name meant 'racing driver'. He was every English schoolboy's hero and the inheritor of grand master and Mercedes-Benz teammate Juan Fangio's orb, scepter and crown. In 1996 Sir Stirling was the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance first Honorary Chairman. The cover of 'The Amelia's' 1996 collector-grade program depict...[Read more...]|
|RM Auctions Announces Consignment of Ex-Works Ferrari 340/375 MM For Its Concorso D'Eleganza Villa D'Este Auction|
|• Wonderful and historically significant Ferrari 340/375 MM to be offered at RM's exclusive evening sale on the banks of Lake Como, Italy, 25th May • Chassis 0320AM boasts unsurpassed provenance with Le Mans history and drivers, including world champions Hawthorn, Farina, and Ascari • Winner of the Pescara 12 Hours, piloted by Hawthorn and Maglioli • The car established a never broken, record setting pace in the Carrera Panamericana in the hands of Maglioli • Chassis 0320AM on preview at ...[Read more...]|
|1955 Tourist Trophy: One Last Victory|
|The tragedy at Le Mans on the 11th of June, 1955 would dramatically affect motor racing. For one of the manufacturers involved, Mercedes-Benz, it would be a confirmation of what it had already come to believe. Toward the end of the 1955 season it was known Mercedes-Benz would withdraw from all motor racing having achieved just about everything possible in Formula One and sportscars. However, on the 18th of September, there would be one last race in which the mighty Silver Arrows would be gunning...[Read more...]|
|Chubb Insurance Concours d'Elegance Judging Day Concludes Salon Prive 2012|
|• 'Best of Show' prize goes to the 1950 Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta entered by Dudley and Sally Masson-Styrron |
• Most prestigious judging panel in Salon Privé history congratulates all category winners for the UK's most outstanding line-up of bikes and cars in 2012
Syon Park, West London, 10th September 2012 – The Chubb Insurance Concours d'Elégance judging day at Salon Privé London marked the close of the Luxury Super Car Show, with a fabulous line up of 111 cars and bikes...[Read more...]
|View more Carrera Panamericana vehicles|
|1951 Ferrari models|
|Ferrari 212 Inter|
|Ferrari 340 America|
|Ferrari Type 195 Inter|
|1952 Ferrari 212 Inter|
|Similarly Sized Vehicles from 1951|
|Ferrari 212 Inter|
|Other models by Ferrari|
|1952 212 Export|