Sold for $11,550,000 at 2014 RM Auctions. Although largely overshadowed by the exploits of Audi and Porsche there just wouldn't be Le Mans without Ferrari. However, since 1965, Le Mans would have to go without a Ferrari at the top of the overall standings. The last to achieve this honor would be a sports-prototype for which there would few equals.
Though intended for the GT class within endurance sportscar races, the replacement for the 250 GTO would be forced to compete within the prototype class as less than 100 would ever be made. This would prove to be a blessing in disguise as the 250 LM proved so strong it would go on to win at Le Mans in 1965. Seeing that it was intended to be made available for customers, it meant the 250 LM would be the day's ultimate expression of the supercar.
This particular chassis, 6045, would be completed in the summer of 1964 and would be the nineteenth of thirty-two 250 LMs ever produced. Complete in Rosso Cina livery, the car would leave the factory and would head across the Atlantic to the United States. Upon arrival in the States the car would make its way to Luigi Chinetti Motors and would soon be sold to Bill Harrah's Modern Classic Motors in Reno, Nevada.
Harrah would use the car to get around the streets of Reno and no doubt attracted a good deal of attention with the car. Some time in 1966 the car would be sold to Dr. Hart Isaacs. Dr. Isaacs would also use the car as his get-around vehicle and would also take part in some events at the same time. In 1969 he would enter the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and would end up winning Second in Class in Special Interest Cars. However, leaving the event the car would be involved in an accident that would result in a fire that would burn the thin aluminum skin terribly.
Unrepaired, Dr. Isaacs sold the car to Donald Simpson of Bellflower, California. Thorough inspection of the car revealed the damage wasn't as bad as what was thought. Simpson was encouraged and intended to restore the car. Sadly, he would not find the time and would end up listing the car for sale.
Ron Kellogg would buy the car but was not encouraged to do much with it. He would take the engine out of the car and would sell that. One year later, he would also sell the car. Dr. Hamilton Kelly would become the car's next owner and he already owned a 250 LM chassis. To haul the car away some of the tube framing, including the one that had the chassis number stamped into it, would be left behind. Kellogg would keep them. While this would seem sacrilegious, it would actually make for a compelling story.
It was now the mid-to-late 1970s and chassis 6045 would make its way to Charlie Betz and Fred Peters, noted Ferrari restorers. These men would actually take the car and would broker a deal sending it back to Italy. After a good deal of inspection to check its authenticity, 6045 would make its way to William Vaccari. It was here that the 250 LM had been built originally. Now, it was a place in which they came to be restored. Restoration commenced on 6045.
Not completed, the car was sold to Ulrich Guggisberg who commissioned Bachelli-Villas Carrozzeria Auto Sport to complete the restoration. It would take nearly half a decade and the restored 250 LM would embark on another spree of ownership that would include time in Europe, the United States and even Japan.
The current owner would come by 6045 in 2007. It had passed hands a number of times, even in the new millennium, but now, with its latest owner, it was time the car was restored to its full original state. This meant locating its original engine and numerous other items that had been removed from the car earlier in its life. This search and rescue would begin in 2009 and would be carried out by DK Engineering. Rather quickly they would find the car's original steering rack mount. While the search was on for its original components, DK Engineering also began work repositioning items to their original locations. This would include the brake ducts, driving lights and other features.
In time, the original engine would be located. When purchased decades back, the engine would become the centerpiece of a 250 LM replica. The engine was found, but there was a snag. In order to get the engine a deal had to be struck to purchase the replica as well. The purchase would take place in 2011. It was interesting to note that the engine also came with some of the remains of the car's original body. One key piece would be the chassis tube that had the chassis number tag on it. All of the pieces were there, they just had to be put into place.
The engine and frame tube would be restored to the car and all of the evidence would be put forward to Ferrari's Classiche Department in order to earn certification of the car. A thorough investigation and inspection process of the car would be done and the department would determine the car to be genuine and authentic. The coveted Red Book of certification would arrive some time later testifying as to 6045's elite status.
Not surprisingly, 6045's return to the public eye would be a successful one. Entered in the 13th Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach, Florida, the car would be awarded the Platinum Award in its class and would also receive the Ferrari Classiche Cup as well. Many other awards and honors would be bestowed upon this highly-original 250 LM.
Filled with originality and a well-noted provenance, 6045 remains a first-rate example of the unparalleled and renowned 250 LM.By Jeremy McMullen
Sold for $9,625,000 at 2015 RM Auctions. A fighter, no matter the form, will always be a fighter, or, as General Patton put it, 'Where I fought in many guises, many names, but always me.' A true racing car will always be. This particular chassis is a testament to this fact.
The 250LM would be developed as a result of Ferrari's incredible run of success at Le Mans. Ferrari dominated the twenty-four race and the 250LM would be developed to carry on that tradition of success. The car, however, would prove to be as successful in other disciplines as at tracks like la Sarthe. Chassis 5899GT would be one of those that would prove the LM's worth in hill climbs.
Georges Filipinetti would already have a foot in the motor racing door prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. Having studied engineering in Germany, Filipinetti would return to his native Switzerland where he would work for no less than Bugatti and Chrysler. This would lead to him opening a couple of dealerships around the Geneva area.
Following the war, Filipinetti would remain in the automotive business becoming a Ferrari importer. Georges had raced before the war, but afterward would turn his focus toward establishing his own racing stable. Thus, Scuderia Filipinetti would be born in 1963.
Besides forming his own racing stable, Georges would dabble in numerous other careers and would be quite successful in most of them. He would even serve as the ambassador for San Marino to the United Nations in Geneva for a time. But there was absolutely no doubting his passion for motor sports. And, in early June of 1964 Scuderia Filipinetti would take delivery of 5899GT from Ferrari. It would be the ninth of just 32 examples of the 250LM to be produced and it would come resplendent in Rossa Cina.
The car was intended for motor racing and it would demonstrate this fact from the very beginning. Its first competition would be the Sierre-Montana Crans Hill Climb at the end of August and the car would come away victorious. The car would be driven that day by none other than the 1963 Le Mans winner Ludovico Scarfiotti.
The car would demonstrate its success was no fluke by taking victory yet again in its next event. This event would be the Coppa Inter-Europa held at Monza. Driven by another top flight driver, Nino Vaccarella, 5899GT would cruise to victory establishing itself as one of the best 250LMs out there. Sadly, the run of success would abruptly come to an end.
Damage to the car's radiator at Montlhery would not only spell the end of the car's race, it would also prove to be the last race in which the car would take part in for Scuderia Filipinetti. Heading into the 1965 season, the car could be found at the Geneva Motor Show, and then, with its second owner Werner Biedermann.
Biedermann lived in Zurich and made his living as an architect. However, he too had a passion for motor racing and founded his own racing team known as Ecurie Basilisk. Once again, despite a new home, the 250LM would prove an incredible competitor continuing its run of success earning a number of top results throughout the 1965 season. Unfortunately, trouble would again ruin the car's run and would also bring an end to its period with Biedermann. Flipping the car onto its roof during a hill climb, Biedermann would emerge relatively intact, but the car would not. As a result, the car would be sold with its damaged body. In spite of the terrible shape in which the car found itself, nothing could keep it down, no matter what guise it was found to be in, as would be demonstrated.
Hans Illert would become the next owner of the Ferrari. He would be excited to have the car, but he would have machinations of how to make it even better. He intended to race the car, but he believed there was a lot more life in the car; it just needed to be tapped into.
He would begin by replacing the Scaglietti body with a Porsche 906 Carrera 6 shell that had been altered to appear LM-like. However, to be able to do this the chassis had to be shortened by a couple of inches. This would have a positive side effect in that a great deal of weight-savings could be found. In the process of shortening the chassis around 200 kilograms would be shaved fro the car. Dubbed the LM-P, the alternate guise for 5899GT would prove something of a revelation. Performance would be increased, and the handling improved. The result would be yet another victory, this time in the St. Ursanne-Les Rangiers Hill Climb in August of 1966.
Over the next couple of years the LM-P would continue to be a force and would enjoy a great deal of success. Amazingly, at the end of the '67 season, Illert would sell the Ferrari-Porsche to Pierre Sudan who would then take the car to a new level. The original 3.3-liter engine would be taken out and a 4.0-liter engine from a 330P would be installed. It would now be known as the 330LM-P and it would continue racing at hill climbs all throughout the region surrounding Switzerland. Toward the end of '68 Sudan would put the car up for sale. It would end up in the hands of Stefan Sklenar of Austria. Of course, in its state at that time it just had to race and Sklenar would use the car in the 200 Miles of Nurnberg and in other events. The result would be many respectable finishes in each.
By this point in time, 5899GT was nothing more than a shell, and not even that, of its former self. Eric Stewart would come to own the car in the 1970s and he would be intent on returning it to its former glory. Stewart was well known as one of the members of the band 10CC and he would be firmly committed to his Ferrari. In its state it was certainly good, but in its original, it was more than good enough.
Restoration would being in 1977 and would be conducted by Victor Norman and Bob Houghton of Rosso Limited. This would not be a straight-forward endeavor as the chassis would need to be restored to its former self. It would not be until 1981 when Stewart would be finally able to take to the wheel. After another brief ownership the car would make its way to the United States, where it would remain throughout the 1980s before heading to Japan, Europe and then back to England.
Lord Irvine Laidlaw would own the car for a couple of years and then it would end up in the hands of Federico Della Noce and Andre Lara Resende. At this time, another restoration would be undertaken. When all of the work was completed the car would return to its former haunt—the racetrack. The car would have its original 3.3-liter, 320hp engine back and it would be almost like it was when completed by the factory.
From 2000 to 2005 the car could be found as part of the Shell Historic Ferrari Maserati Challenge. Then, in April of 2005 the car would receive its Classiche certification adding its name to the Red Book. This honor would be followed by another. More than forty years on after it left the Ferrari factory in Maranello, 5899GT would be back, proudly on display in the Galleria Ferrari.
The car would seemingly start its life all over again when, in 2006, it would be purchased by Henri-Louis Maunoir of Switzerland. But the car wasn't just heading back to Switzerland. Maunoir's wife would be none other than Georges Filipinetti's granddaughter.
Taking part in the 60th Anniversary of Ferrari held at Fiorano in 2007, the car would become a regular at many special events over the course of the next few years. Having found its way back to the United States, 5899GT's restoration would continue including the original Scuderia Filipinetti livery. Sadly, the original body would be one casualty that could not be revived as a result of the damage suffered from time and competition. Still, what the car has sacrificed of itself over the years it has gained in success on the track and on the winding roads around the mountains of central Europe.
The 9th of just thirty-two examples and extremely successful over the course of its long and interesting racing history, 5899GT is certainly an exceptional specimen of Ferrari's great endurance racer. Throughout its lifetime, the car has fought in many guises, but always the same. But no matter its pretense it remained a strong and proud combatant, a powerful testament to the lineage of the 250LM.
Offered at the 2015 RM Auctions Arizona event, the 1964 Ferrari 250LM promised to be a highlight. Pre-auction estimates for 5899GT ranged from between $9,500,000 and $12,500,000.By Jeremy McMullen
The Ferrari 250 LM made its debut at the 1963 Paris Auto Salon and first competed the following year. Designed for the GT class at Le Mans, 100 cars were needed to obey the homologation rules, but not surprisingly only 32 cars were finished; the LM was therefore only eligible for the prototype class against more powerful cars. Despite that, the Ferrari 250 LMs performed well, including a win at the 1965 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 LM used the 250 GTO 3-liter, V12 engine bored out to 3.3 liters and repositioned in the middle of the chassis.
Ferrari 250 LM with chassis number 5909 is a right-hand drive vehicle constructed in April of 1964. It was sent to the United States to Luigi Chinetti and the N.A.R.T. team. It competed at the 1000km Nuerburgring and the 24 Hours of Lemans in 1964. In both events, it failed to finish. Its first racing accomplishment came at the 12 Hours of Reims in 1964 where John Surtees and Lorenzo Bandini drove the car to a second place finish overall and second in class.
Ownership passed to Bob Grossman of the US around September of 1964. He had the car repainted in silver metallic with blue, white, and red stripes. It was campaigned throughout the rest of the 1964 season by Bob Grossman. It was entered into Bridgehampton, Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport, Tourist Trophy at Nassau, Nassau GT Race, and the Nassau Trophy. The best finish for Grossman and the car in 1964 was at Bridgehampton where the duo scored a third place finish.
Ownership passed to William M. Sheaffer of PA in 1965. He had the car repainted in a gold-metallic color. Ownership later passed to Bob Cooper, Edwin Niles, and Sonny Bono. Bono acquired the car in 1967 and kept it for a short time before selling it to Don McLaughlin in 1968.
it passed through several more owners before becoming the possession of Frederick Knoop in 1974. It was shown at the 1975 Pebble Beach Concours where it was awarded a first place.
It was sold to Bob Epstein in 1977 who then had it entered in the Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca. The car was wearing number 220.
Albert Obrist of Gstaad became its next owner. He entered it in some historic competition; in 1980 he commissioned Carrozzeria Fantuzzi to perform a ground-up restoration.
The next owner was Shiroh Kosaka who showed the car at the Coppa d'Oro delle Dolomiti in 1987 and the 1st Annual Vintage Ferrari Meeting in Japan in 1993.
Steven Read became the next owner in 2004. He brought the car back to the Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca. Since then, the vehicle has been shown at various events and entered in historic competition. It was shown at The Quail: A Motorsport Gathering in 2006. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2013
The first rear-engined V12 Ferrari with the 3-liter 250 GT engine was the 250P 'Prototipo' that won at LeMans in 1963. Enzo Ferrari wanted to have a rear-engined car for both road and race, and he revealed the 3.3 liter 250 LM at the 1963 Paris Auto Show. It was very much like the LeMans winning car but with a roof. Due to the FIA rules about homologation at the time, all the 250LMs built before 1966 were raced as prototypes. All but one of the 32 cars built were raced at some point and all but three of these were right-hand drive as was normal for Ferrari race cars at the time.
Chassis number 5843 was constructed in the spring of 1964 and was one of the earliest examples completed. It was delivered to Garage Francorchamps in Belgium in May of that year, and was the first of three 250 LMs purchased by the Belgian team.
The car was raced extensively during the 1964 season, appearing at Nurburgring 1000KM, LeMans (where it finished 16th overall), and Reims. It won the Lindbergh Grand Prix and the Houyet Hillclimb in Belgium. It continued to race until its retirement in 1967. It later competed in vintage and historic competition. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2010
This 1964 Ferrari 250 LM is a proud member of the trio of 250 LMs that represent Ferrari's last success at the 24 Hours of LeMans in 1965. Entered by Scuderia Filipinetti, who had taken delivery of the car from the factory in September 1964, this car raced under number 27 and finished 6th overall behind the winning N.A.R.T. - entered 250 LM driven by Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory. Scuderia Filipinetti raced this car for a number of years, and the car gained several overall and class wins. In June of 2015 the car was invited by the ACO to LeMans to celebrate the 50th anniversary, where it was driven on demonstration laps by former Ferrari drivers Nino Vacarella and Jean Guichet as well as its current owner.
The 250 LM was first seen at the Paris Automobile Show in October 1963 and was built as the replacement for the 250 GTO to compete in the GT category of sports-car racing, however, Ferrari produced only 32 250 LMs and the car was forced to compete as a sports-prototype. The body was built by Scaglietti around Ferrari's first ever mid-engined layout. It proved to be an excellent competitor on the race track beginning with victory in the Rheims 12 Hours of July 5, 1964, for the Maranello Concessionaires car driven by Graham Hill and Jo Bonnier. This car went one better and, in the hands of Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory driving for Luigi Chinetti's N.A.R.T. racing team, it was the last Ferrari to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, taking the crown in 1965. The pair completed 347 laps of the 8.365 mile circuit, averaging 120.944 mph for the 24 hours. It raced for another 5 years in long distance races at Daytona and again at Le Mans until it was officially retired and later acquired by the Indianapolis Museum.
The car has a 3.3 liter V-12 engine producing 320 horsepower at 7,500 RPM with a five-speed transmission and a top speed of 287 km/h. It weighs 1,874 pounds.
Coupe Chassis Num: 6105 Engine Num: 6105 Gearbox Num: 16
Sold for $17,600,000 at 2015 RM Auctions. This Ferrari 250 LM is number 23rd of 32 examples constructed. It was ordered through Maranello Concessionaires by privateer Ronald Fry. Fry had traded in his 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO (chassis number 3869GT), which he had campaigned quite successfully over the 1963 and 1964 seasons.
The Ferrari 250 LM was powered by a mid-mounted, 3.3-liter V12 engine and was designed to compete as a sports prototype.
In 1965, chassis 5893 took 1st overall at the 24 Hours of LeMans, making it the last Ferrari to ever do so. Thus, the Ferrari 250 LM is widely lauded as one of the greatest Ferraris of all time.
While in Fry's ownership, chassis 6105 was actively campaigned on hill climbs, sprints, and club races around England for the rest of 1964 through to 1966. Fry was never involved in a major accident with the car and the car remained in exceptionally original condition. In October 1966, the car returned to the Earls Court Motor Show, where it was displayed by Maranello Concessionaires.
Prior to the start of the 1967 racing season, Fry sold his 250 LM in January 1967 to David S.D. Skailes, of Staffordshire, who registered the car on plates BFB 932 B. Soon after, the engine was overhauled by the Ferrari factory in Maranello and, at the same time, had body specialist Piero Drogo install a long nose on the car. Skailes continued to race the car at events in the UK and even campaigned the car, with Eric Liddell, at the nine-hour race at Kyalami in South Africa, placing 6th overall.
In October of 1968, the 250 LM was purchased through Maranello Concessionaires by its third owner, Jack Maurice of Northumberland, who traded in his 275 GTB in order to make the purchase. The car was then re-registered on license plates JM 265. Maurice continued to campaign his 250 LM on hill climbs and sprints around the United Kingdom. For the 1970 season, Maurice had accumulated eight class wins, placed 2nd in the Shell Leader's Hill Climb Championship, and won the Baracca Trophy and the David Poter Trophy for his exploits on the track.
After the 1970 season, the car took a brief respite from competition and was featured in a pair of articles. Over the winter of 1975 and 1976, Maurice had the engine rebuilt at Diena & Silingardi's Sport Auto in Modena. In 1976, the car was sold. The car was owned by Martin Johnson before it entered the care of Richard Colton, of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire. Mr. Colton returned the car back to the track, participating in even more hill climbs and sprints around the UK. After four years of racing, Colton decided to treat the car to a restoration, bringing it back to its original specification. Colton purchased an original Scaglietti nose for a 250 LM from Robert Fehlmann, replacing the car's Drogo long-nose, and had it fitted to the car during its restoration. After the work was completed, the car was shown at a pair of Ferrari Owners' Club meeting in the UK, one in July at Eastington Hall and the other in September at Avisford Park.
The car's first owner outside of the UK was Mr. Yoshiyuki Hayashi of Tokyo who took deliver in 1984. Hayashi kept the car in his collection for 11 years before it was sold to another Japanese collector, Yoshiho Matsuda, who also owned a 250 GTO and 250 Testa Rossa. The car spent three years in the United States with Kevin Crowder, of Dallas, Texas, before returning to Europe and was owned by Robert Sarrailh and Andrea Burani before being purchased by Pierre Mellinger, of Lausanne, Switzerland. Mr. Mellinger exercised the car frequently, using it on several European driving events. Mellinger drove the car on the Italia Classica in September 2011 from Maranello to Venice and back, as well as in the Tour Auto in April 2012. Also in 2012, the car was driven by Mellinger at the Le Mans Classic.
Later in 2012, the car was sold to its current custodian. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2015
Ferrari's unstoppable 250 GTO racer, with its brutal performance and beautiful lines, was replaced by the 250 LM. Though the LM, too, was a great looker with formidable capabilities on the track, it was a wholly different vehicle from the GTO. While the GTO followed the storied Ferrari tradition of stuffing twelve cylinders between the front fenders, the LM had its V12 mounted amidships.
Placing the engine behind the driver was a predictable move. More and more successful racing cars were using mid-engined configurations by 1964, the year that the 250 LM first competed. Ferrari itself had already experienced notable success with mid-engined cars, and the company chose its 250 P as the foundation for the 250 LM. At the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1963, the first and third spots on the winners' podium were filled by 250 Ps. The 250 P's competition success would be continued by the 250 LM.
First shown at the Paris Salon of 1963, the 250 LM resembled a 250 P with an added roof. The LM had a tubular chassis built by Vaccari of Modena. The chassis was similar to the unit used for the 250 P, although the tubing surrounding the cabin was made sturdier to compensate for the LM's heavy doors and low sills. Suspension was carried over from the 250 P, and consisted of double wishbones and coil springs front and rear. The Paris show car's engine was also carried over from the 250 P (and the 250 GTO). It was a 60-degree V12 of 2,953cc, producing 300bhp at 7,500rpm and topped by a sextet of Webers. The show car's engine was replaced by a bored-out motor of similar design but displacing 3,286cc when the 250 LM went into production for 1964, providing an additional 20bhp.
With a superlatively sporty body shell penned by Pininfarina and constructed in aluminum by Scaglietti, the 250 LM looked like it was born for the racetrack. Indeed, the 250 LM was born for the racetrack, which led to serious problems when Ferrari attempted to homologate the car for racing.
FIA rules stated that 100 copies of a car must be produced in order to qualify that vehicle for GT racing. Ferrari had somehow managed to qualify its 250 GTO, of which only 37 were produced, for GT competition by claiming that it was simply a rebodied 250 SWB. The FIA was not going to fall for such shenanigans again, though. Ferrari was only able to produce 32 copies of its 250 LM, so the vehicle was refused status as a GT car and forced to compete in the prototype class. This was a problem. Ferrari had intended for the 250 LM to be a GT racer just like the 250 GTO before it, but now its mid-engined car would be pinned against ferocious competition in a class without boundaries.
This turn of fate ensured that the 250 LM would not have the same monumental career as the GTO. The LM did not exactly languish in the prototype class, though. Victories at Kyalami, Rheims, and Elkhart Lake were all accomplished in 1964. In 1965, the 250 LM won Ferrari its last overall victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
That the 250 LM was able to find success even in the prototype class was proof of Ferrari's engineering excellence. The LM, produced by a company under the direction of a fearless and often ruthless leader, was the product of an unstoppable desire to go faster and an indefatigable drive to win.
'Ferrari 250 LM.' QV500.com n. pag. Web. 27 Jan 2010. .
Melissen, Wouter. '1963-1966 Ferrari 250 LM.' Ultimatecarpage.com (2005): Web. 27 Jan 2010. .By Evan Acuña
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960's. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferrari's most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950's. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater.
Ferrari's were custom built cars. They were not mass-produced. Ferrari provided the engine and chassis while Italian coach builders provided the body. This meant the specifications varied. Engines also varied in horsepower rating, torque, and displacement. This was no different for the 250 GT which saw many different variations in body style and body types.
Ferrari built the road-going Ferrari's to fuel his passion for racing. Many of the vehicles he built for the road had a competition model. That is, a modified version of the road-going model. An example of this was the 1959 short-wheel base (SWB) Berlinetta (Berlinetta which means coupe) and given an aluminum body. It was debuted in October 1959 at the Paris Salon. GT cars were road-legal vehicles that could also be taken to the track and compete without the need for modifications. Although this was their purpose, Ferrari realized that many customers would not race their vehicle, but rather wanted the power and performance that sports cars offered. To comply, Ferrari built these cars to be powerful and luxurious. The vehicles could still be run on the track, mostly on requiring the adoption of stickers and complying with any safety requirements.
The 250 road-going vehicles mostly shared two wheelbase sizes, a 2400 mm and 2600 mm. The 2400 wheelbase were referred to as the SWB (Short wheel base) while the other was the LWB (long wheel base).
The base engine was a Colombo 60-degree, single-over-head cam, 'vee' type 12-cylinder, with aluminum alloy block and heads, and cast-iron cylinder liners. The displacement was 180 cubic inch (2953 cc). Horsepower production was around 220-260. The front suspension was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The rear suspension was a live axle.
The first 250 introduced was the 250S and available in either berlinetta or spider configuration. Introduced in 1952, they were powered by a 3-liter Colombo engine producing about 230 horsepower.
At the 1953 Paris Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the 250 Europa and Export. These were the only models in the series that were powered by a Lampredi v-12 engine also seen in Formula 1. The 250 Export had a 2400 MM wheelbase, similar tot he 250 MM. The 250 Europa had a larger, 2800 mm wheelbase which allowed more interior room. During their short production lifespan, only 18 examples were produced. Pininfarina and Vignale were tasked with creating the coachwork.
In 1954 four specialty built 250 Monza were built for racing. They shared many similarities with the 750 Monza's, but were equipped with the 3-liter Colombo engine.
At the 1957 Geneva auto show, Ferrari displayed their 250 GT Cabriolet. Coachwork was courtesy of Pininfarina; the wheelbase was 2600 mm in size. In 1959 the second in the 250 GT Cabriolet series production began after only 36 examples being produced.
From 1957 through 1959 Ferrari produced the 250 GT Berlinetta 'Tour de France' (TdF). The name had been given for the 10-day automobile race. Originally the engine produced 240 horsepower but was later modified to 260 horsepower. Carrozzeria Scaglietti was responsible for creating the bodies based on Pinin Farina's design.
Scaglietti was responsible for constructing the 1957 250 GT California Spyder. These sat atop a long, 2600 mm chassis and aluminum was used throughout the body in efforts to reduce the overall weight. In total, around 45 examples were created before they were replaced by the SWB version in 1960.
There were 250 examples of the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB produced. Production began in 1959 and used the shortened, sportier wheelbase. Giotto Bizzarrini, Carlo Chiti, and Mauro Forghieri were responsible for the development. Some were built for racing while others were meant for daily transportation. Horsepower ranged from 240 to 280. Steel or aluminum bodies were used. The steel bodies were suited for the road-going vehicles, also known as Lusso. The racing trim vehicles were powerful and had low weight. They were vary competitive and are regarded as the most important GT racers of its time. In 1961 the SWB Berlinetta captured the GT class of the Constructor's Championship.
In 1960 a Scaglietti 250 GT Spyder California SWB was shown at the Geneva Motor Show. Built as a replacement for the LWB and based on the 250 GT SWB, around 55 examples were produced.
The Ferrari 250TR was produced from 1957 through 1958 during which only 19 examples were created. The 'pontoon' fender body was designed by Scaglietti and the power was supplied through a Colombo 12-cylinder engine mounted at a sixty-degree angle and outfitted with six Weber 38 DCN carburetors. Power was sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. With 300 horsepower, the 800 kg vehicle was able to achieve a 168 mph top speed. From 1958 through 1961, the 250 TR was entered in 19 championship races where they emerged victorious ten times.
The 250 in 250 TR represented the unitary displacement while the TR was an acronym meaning Testa Rossa. Testa Rossa translates to 'red head' which referred to the color of the engine's cylinder head.
The 250 TR series was built to capture the world championship which was experience questionable times. During the 1955 24 Hours of Lemans a fatal accident occurred and the Commissione Sportiva Internazionale (CSI) began investigating ways to make the sport safer for the drivers and the spectators. Their efforts were escalated in 1967 when another fatal accident occurred at the 1957 Mille Miglia. The committee decided upon a displacement limit but they were in disagreement on the size; the proposed figures ranged from 3 to around 3.5 liters.
1958 was the introductory year for the new regulations, which had been announced during the later part of 1957. Ferrari had been building, testing, and racing the 250 GT which had performed well during the 1957 Mille Miglia. The Colombo V12 260 horsepower engine received a larger bore, camshaft, and other improvements resulting in a 3.1 liter displacement and 320 horsepower. Testing continued throughout the 1957 season in both body configuration and mechanical components.
Ferrari had anticipated the new engine size regulations and thus had been sufficiently prepared to capture the world championship. Due to the potential of negative publicity caused by the fatal accidents, other manufacturers, such as Aston Martin, Lotus, Cooper and Jaguar, were hesitant to continue racing. Ferrari believed their closest competitor would be the powerful and technologically advanced Maserati 450 S which featured a quad-cam eight-cylinder engine.
Ferrari quickly began capturing victories during the 1958 season. The 250 TR was a solid vehicle thanks to the preparation and testing. The steel tubular ladder frame was of traditional Ferrari construction; a DeDion rear axle was used on the works racers. Customer cars were outfitted with a live axle. Drum brakes were placed on all four corners of the car. The engine had been modified to comply with regulations and to fit in the engine bay. In reality, the vehicle was an outdated car having only the benefit of proper planning and proven technology. Most cars featured disc brakes which provided superior stopping power. The Colombo engine dated back to the beginning of Ferrari and was antiquated in comparison to the modern power-plants.
Nearing the close of the 1958 season, the competition began to rise. Aston Martin had a lethal combination, a 3 liter DBR1 racer and Stirling Moss as the driver. Even though the Aston Martins did score a victory at Nurburgring 1000 KM, Ferrari was able to capture the World Championship. The legendary Phil Hill and Olivier Gendebien easily capture a third victory for Ferrari at the grueling 24 Hours of Lemans. The 250 TR works cars were referred to as TR58, to distinguish them from the customer TRs.
For the 1959 season, the vehicles received slight modifications which made the vehicle lighter and more powerful. The big news was the use of Dunlop disc brakes. The engine received coil valve springs and the horsepower increased slightly to 306. A Colotti designed five speed gearbox replaced the four-speed unit. Pininfarina was tasked with designing a new body and the construction was handled by Fantuzzi. As a result of the improvements, the name was changed to TR59. At their inaugural race, the TR59 finished first and second. This streak did not last and at the end of the season, it was Aston Martin who emerged as the world champion. The TR59 was plagued with reliability issues mostly due to the gearbox. The vehicles were forced to retire early from races, including Le Mans.
For the 1960 season, the TR was modified slightly to comply with new regulations and to rectify the transmission issues. These vehicles are commonly referred to as the TR59/60. Aston Martin had withdrawn from the championship which left no factory opposition for Ferrari. Porsche and Maserati provided competition, especially at Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000 km where they scored victories. At Le Mans, Ferrari finished first and second and captured the word championship, beating Porsche by only four points.
For the 1961 season, Ferrari introduced the mid-engined 246 SP. The TRI61 was given a new spaceframe chassis and was able to capture victories at Sebring 12 Hours and Le Mans. With victories between the 246 SP and the TRI61, Ferrari once again captured the world championship.
The CSI implemented stricter rules for the 1962 season which meant the TR was unable to score points for the factory. It was still allowed to race for the overall victory. By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2007
While the name Ferrari is recognized the world-over, Ugolini, on the other hand, is only a name recognized by those very knowledgeable of motor racing and football. However, the name is nearly as vitally...
It would be a chaotic and ghastly sight. The twirling Lotus mass carried with it another of a brotherhood of drivers that were both very successful and wildly popular. It was another loss for Team Lotus....
Heading into the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans it had become clear Ford was intent on taking the fight to Ferrari. Ford would spare no expense to take the fight to the company it had intended to buy. Ironically,...