Image credits: © Ferrari.
1970 Ferrari 512 S news, pictures, specifications, and information
Sold for $1,947,000 at 2005 RM Auctions
Sold for $3,567,432 (€2,640,000) at 2007 RM Auctions
This Ferrari 512-S has chassis #1006 and is one of 25 Berlinettas completed in 1969. This 512 was converted to a Spider by the factory and sold to Luigi Chinetti's 'N.A.R.T.' team. It has been driven by several N.A.R.T. drivers at seven International races. Its best finish was Buchnum/Adamowicz's 2nd overall at the 1971 24 Hours of Daytona.
The chassis #1006 is widely considered to be the most original 512 Spider in existence since it has never been restored.
Ferrari debuted the 512 S in 1970, in an attempt to outrun rival Porsche. Despite its 400 horsepower twelve-cylinder 4993cc engine, the car could not unseat Porsche, whose 917 model could top 240 MPH.
The 512 S was designed by Mauro Forghieri with an alloy 5-liter, V12 and a tubular space frame chassis developed from the Ferrari P4. Its bodywork was designed by Giacomo Caliri and made from lightweight polycarbonate. Built both as a Berlinetta and a Spyder, it took part in the World Manufacturers' Championship in 1907 and 1971, winning at Sebring and Kyalami.
This car, chassis number 1004, was completed in October of 1969. It was immediately used for testing, to determine the best possible aerodynamic combination for the 24 hour race at Daytona. It was entered there and driven by the team of Jacky Ickx and Peter Schetty. It failed to finish after it was involved in an accident at lap 115. The car was repaired and raced at the 1000km Monza race where it was piloted by John Surtees and Peter Schetty to a 3rd overall finish. It was later used as a test car for the Targa Florio.
It is also a star. It appeared in the 1970 Steve McQueen movie, LeMans. It was acquired by the present owner in 1986 and has been extensively campaigned in vintage races, using a variety of different body configurations. It has also appeared on calendars, in documentaries, on magazines and posters. It is one of four remaining 512 Ss. The other 25 have been destroyed or converted to other 512M, 512F or 712 Can Am models.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2013
The FIA changed the regulations of the Sport category to allow vehicles with 5-liter engines, up from the prior 3-liter capacity. Instead of 50 examples, only 25 examples needed to be produced to satisfy homologation rules. With the 917, Porsche had high hopes for capturing an overall victory at the grueling 24 Hour of LeMans. Porsche had seen success with its 904, 907 and 908 race cars. These cars had done very well on the race track though some were plagued with mechanical difficulties and other growing pains which may have held them from realizing their true potential. Porsche had not captured any overall wins at LeMans, just victories within their classes.
Ferrari chose to use their preexisting Formula 1 V-12 engine and created a prototype racer. Regulations for the prototype group restricted displacement to be no greater than three-liters. In 1969, the 312 P was constructed and ready for racing. It made its debut at Daytona, the season opener, where it easily captured pole position. At the end of the race, it had proven its abilities by finishing first in class. The 312 P continued to be raced until Porsche introduced their 917 at LeMans. The Porsche 917 was designed and built in 10 months and was powered by the Type 912 flat 12 engine of various displacement. As with most prototype vehicles, the 917 suffered from growing pains. The aerodynamics created low drag rather than down force and made the vehicle unstable at speeds.
Though the 917 had been quick in practice, it had poor results during race day. After seeing the potential of the 917, Enzo Ferrari was inspired and began working on a GT racer. An engine was developed, named the Type 261, and followed closely with the already existing Formula 1 engine. It had a five-liter displacement size and a Lucas fuel injection system. The new engine was capable of producing 560 horsepower which was later increased to 600. It was placed mid-ship and powered the rear wheels. Since it was not air cooled, it required a plethora of cooling pipes and a heavy radiator. With quad cams and four-valves per cylinder, the longitudinally mounted, 60-degree engine was ready to take on the Porsche 917.
The chassis followed closed with the design of the 312 P, but modified to carry the extra weight of the larger engine. The front section was an aluminum spaceframe with a rear subframe. The body was constructed of fiberglass and designed similar to its 312 P sibling. When all was said and done, it weighed less than 900 kg. The chassis were numbered from 1002 to 1050, 19 were raced during the 1970 season.
Though the 512 was more powerful than the 917, it lacked a couple of things, when compared to the Porsche. Due to using steel, reinforced with aluminum sheet, weight was about 100 kg's more than the alloy-framed 917. The 917 had been introduced six months prior and had the benefit of being raced, tested, and its flaws identified. The Porsche had gone through the typical maturing stage and was becoming a solid contender. The 512 had a couple of months of testing, but had never been raced. Its shortcomings and weaknesses were unknown. Though this was a problem, it would not be an issue if the requirements for homologation were not meet. Ferrari had completed 17 examples and displayed parts for the remaining 8 cars. This was good enough to pass and five of the 512's were entered into the Daytona 24 Hours.
A 512 S driven by Mario Andretti had proven good enough to capture a pole position. At the completion of the race, Andretti had driven his 512 S to a fifth place finish, a respectable result but Enzo had been hoping for more. A failure in the suspension had dropped Andretti from a possible second place finish. During the final laps, he had to carefully negotiate the car around the course and continued to fall in the ranking. The other four Ferrari 512's had experience mechanical problems and did not finish the race.
The results were disappointing, but it did identify areas of needed improvement. The aerodynamics, power and handling had been good but more work could be done. The weight and fuel consumption were two of its biggest flaws. By removing the top, the weight was reduced by 25 kg's. This was not a favorable solution for the drivers especially in bad weather. The fuel efficiency issues were addresses with an improve fuel injection system.
The next championship race for the 512's were at Sebring. Improvements and modifications had been made to the Ferrari's, mostly the conversion to spyders for four of the five entrants. The car that had been driven by Andretti at Daytona had its original configuration. Andretti had managed to secure a pole position, and at the start of the race quickly emerged at the front of the pack. A pit stop sent him back into fourth place. At the end of the race, Andretti had captured the first victory with a Ferrari 512. Part of the success was attributed to mechanical problems with the Porsches, forcing many to retire. The season was far from over, with five championship races still remaining.
During the remaining races, the 512 continued to be a strong contender, due in part to its excellent handling and its durability. Out of seventeen starts, only one retired prematurely. At Monza, the 512 had one of their best performances resulting in a second, third, and fourth place finish.
The final race of the championship season was at LeMans. This twenty-four hour endurance race tests the drivers, teams, and the car. Its straight stretches favor vehicles with a high top speed. Porsche and Ferrari both created special longtail versions of the 512, hoping to reduce drag and increase the top speed. During practice for Porsche, the longtail versions had proven to be underdeveloped so they were reluctant to use them. The aerodynamics created by the longtails gave Ferrari an advantage but the extra 100 KG's was a handicap. During qualifying, the 512's proved to be fast and earned excellent positioning on the grid.
The glorious season the 512 had endured up to this point was about to degrade. The claim-to-fame for the Ferrari's had been their reliability which allowed them to finish. Just thirty minutes into the race, Vascarella was forced to retire his 512 S after major mechanical problems. The rain began to fall and two factory works cars were involved in accidents. The remaining 512 S works car managed to lead the pack until the early morning, when due to poor track conditions, it crashed, killing a marshal. When the checkered flag dropped, it was a Porsche in the lead.
The season had shown that the 512 S was fast but more could be done to improve its performance. Work began on revising the car, and the result was dubbed the 512 M, meaning Modificato/Modified. 15 of the 25 vehicles were converted. Weight was reduced by nearly 40 kg's, and the engine was improved to produce 620 horsepower. Air circulation was improved with the adoption of an airbox, which forced air into the engine.
The inaugural race for the 512 M was at the 1970 championship race in Austria. Driven by Ickx and Giunti, the 512 M easily outpaced the 917s. Fuel and alternator problems meant the 512 M would not see the end of the race, but it had shown the capability of the car.
For the 1971 season, Ferrari left the 512 M to be raced by customer teams. Ferrari focused their efforts on a 3-liter prototype program, since many of the tracks favored the smaller prototype racers.
In the hands of the private customers, the 512 M was no match for the factory backed Porsche program. During the 1971 season, Porsche had won 8 of the 11 rounds of the Manufacturer World Championship. At the end of the 1971 season the Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512 had proven their abilities and supremacy that the FIA added new regulations that made them ineligible to race in world championships.
Chassis number 1020 was converted at the end of the 1970 season to a 512M and sold to NART. Chassis number 1024 was converted to a 512M and sold to Scuderia Brescia Corse. 1036 was a test car used by the racing division of Ferrari and later sold to Solar Productions where it was featured in Steve McQueen's movie, Le Mans. 1040 was sold to Chris Cord and Steve Earle of the United States and raced in the CanAm series. Due to its aggressive racing program and modifications that were made, it is probably the fastest and most advanced car of the series. It was run by Roger Penske and prepared in blue and yellow livery. Driven by Mark Donohue and David Hobbs, it was stricken with a string of bad luck and new had any good finishes. Its best was a third place finish at the 24 Hours of Daytona race. Chassis number 1046 was used for two things, the first being to aide in the homologation requirements, the second being a 'parts car.' Chassis number 1048 was sold as a test car to Filipinetti and not raced during the 1970 season. 1050 was sold in disassembled chassis and body configuration to Corrado Manfredini who later had it converted to a 512M and raced it during the 1971 season. Several of the 512S were destroyed in accidents, including 1012, a spyder which had crashed during practice at the ADAC 1000-KM on Nurburgring. 1026 was destroyed during the LeMans film.
By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2012
Raced in 1970 and 1971, the Ferrari 512 was a sports vehicle, related to the Ferrari P series of sports prototypes that was eventually withdrawn from competition after a change in regulations in 1968. A year later Ferrari decided to do what Porsche did six months earlier and build 25 5.0 L cars at one time to be homologated as sports car prototypes. The surplus vehicles were intended to be sold to racing customers.
The 512 S carried a motor with a new V12 with 560 PS output. Unfortunately not air-cooled like the Porsche's flat-12 the 512 was equipped with a variety of cooling pipes and a heavy radiator. Weighing more than 100 kg than the alloy-framed 917, the chassis was of sturded steel that was reinforced with aluminum sheet. Despite the weight difference, the Ferrari 512S and Porsche 917 were evenly matched.
Predictable teething problems and a weak suspension and transmission were the main issues with the Ferrari 512s in the beginning of 1970.
Produced between 1973 and 1984, the Berlinetta Boxer, or the Ferrari 512 was the name for a series of vehicles produced by Ferrari in Italy. A huge venture for Enzo Ferrari, the Boxer was a mid-mounted flat-12 engine that replaced the FR Daytona and succeeded in the Ferrari stable by the Testarossa.
Though Enzo feared that the mid-engined road car would be too difficult for his buyers to handle, he eventually agreed to his engineers request that he adopt the layout. In the late 1950s this attitude began to change as the marque lost its racing dominance to mid-engined competitors. The result of all this was the mid-engined 4, 6 and 8 cylinder Dino racing vehicles that Ferrari eventually allowed for the production Dino road cars to use the layout also. While the Daytona was launched with its engine in front, the company moved its V12 engines to the rear with its P and LM racing vehicles. Finally in 1971 a mid-engined 12-cylinder road vehicle came on the scene.
Released at the 1971 Turin Motor Show, the first Boxer was the 365 GT4 BB with the production intent to rival Lamborghini's Miura. In 1973 it was finally released for sale at the Paris Motor Show. A total of 386 units were sold with only 58 of them being right hand drive. The most prestigious of all Berlinetta Boxers, this was the fastest and most rare model.
The Boxer was as unique as possible, though it shared its numerical designation with the Daytona. Like the Dino, the Berlinetta Boxer was a mid-engined vehicle that housed the now flat -12 engine mounted longitudinally rather than transversely. Sharing the internal dimensions of the Daytona V12, the engine was spread out to 180_ as on Ferrari's 1970 Formula One car. Mounted above a five-speed manual transmission the engine produced 344 hp at 7200 rpm and 302 ft_lbf of torque @ 3900 rpm. This engine also used timing belts instead of chains.
In 1976 the 365 was updated as the Ferrari 512 BB, resuming the name of the previous Ferrari 512 racer. A total of 929 of the 512 BBs were produced. Though peak horsepower was off slights to 340 hp @ 6200 rpm (redline 7000 rpm), the engine was larger at 4942 cc. Due to a larger displacement and a longer stroke, torque was now up to 46 kgf_m from 44 kgf_m at 4600 rpm. To achieve a lower center of gravity dry sump lubrication was used. New external features were a front spoiler, added NACA side air vents that ducted air to the brakes, four tail lights instead of six and wider rear tires.
In 1981 the Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injected 512Bbi was released. The end of the series, the new fuel injected motor released cleaner emissions and 340 hp at 6000 rpm and produced 333 ft_lbf of torque at 4200 rpm. New updates included badging and a change to metric sized wheels along with the Michelin TRX metric tire system, red rear fog lamps outboard of the exhaust pipes in the rear valence and small running lights in the nose. A total of 1,007 512Bbi units were produced.
A total of 25 512S Ferrari's were produced within the first nine months with even chassis numbers from 1002 to 1050. In 1970, 19 of those units were raced, with five of them being spyders. At the end of the season, the 1020 was converted as a 512M and sold to NART which entered it in competition a year later.By Jessica Donaldson
Recent Vehicle Additions
|A victory for history|
|• The Ferrari 512 M: the sports prototype faster than the F1|
Maranello, 28th October – The Ferrari 512 M was the last car Maranello designed for the Sports Prototype World Championship to sport a 5-litre engine. It was a veritable powerhouse of technology with revolutionary features that, because of a rule change, sadly never fully exploited its enormous potential. The 512 M was an evolution of the 512 S, the car that Enzo Ferrari launched in late 1969 as a rival to the Porsche...[Read more...]
|VIC ELFORD RECEIVES RRDC'S 2015 PHIL HILL AWARD|
|DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 22, 2015) - Vic Elford, considered one of the fastest race-car drivers of the Sixties and Seventies, was honored by the Road Racing Drivers Club with the 2015 Phil Hill Award. RRDC president Bobby Rahal made the presentation at a dinner prior to the running of the Rolex 24 At Daytona, the season opener of the 2015 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
The Phil Hill Award has been presented annually since 1993 to the person who the RRDC feels has rendered outsta...[Read more...]|
|CAN-AM GROUP PROVIDES A THUNDEROUS RETURN TO THE ROLEX MONTEREY MOTORSPORTS REUNION|
|MONTEREY, Calif., July 7, 2014 — Returning to their familiar home where they ran unbridled in the '60s and early '70s, thundering Can-Am cars will be a popular group this year at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. Held August 14-17 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, the event is a collection of 550 authentic and period-correct race cars from nearly every decade of motorsports.
It will be difficult to ignore the guttural rumble of 30-plus authentic Can-Am cars as they accelerate out of Turn...[Read more...]|
|Techno Classica 2014: more than 30 racing cars to celebrate 120 years of Mercedes-Benz motor racing history|
|•Cars that were the heroes of magical moments put their stamp on this high-powered, most comprehensive show presentation
•With more than 30 vehicles, Mercedes-Benz Classic presents motor racing history in all its unique breadth and depth
•120 years of Mercedes-Benz motor sport in the focus of the leading international classic motor show
120 years of Mercedes-Benz motor racing history have produced a timeline of extraordinary victories which since 1894 also stand for outstanding innovations ...[Read more...]|
|RRDC VOTES IN 37 NEW MEMBERS FOR 2013|
| ||HILLIARD, Ohio (Nov. 7, 2013) - Thirty-seven race-car drivers and motorsports professionals have been voted into the Road Racing Drivers Club in 2013. The group includes 13 Regular Members from the open-wheel and sports-car racing ranks, 20 Associate Members and four Honorary Members. The current roster of RRDC members now numbers 440. Voting was held among all current RRDC members.
'This year's crop of new Regular Members truly represents the spirit of the RRDC, as each driver has de...[Read more...]|
|1967 Can-Am Road America: The Beginning of the 'Bruce and Denny Show'|
|While Formula One will be forever considered the pinnacle of motorsport, from a period between 1966 and 1986 there existed a series that would likely be the closest to 'anything goes' as any motor racing series could truly get. Based upon the FIA Group 7 cars but allowed to showcase unlimited engine sizes and unfettered aerodynamics, the Can-Am cars would have to be considered the pinnacle of motorsport technology and power of their era. And for more than a couple of years there would be one tea...[Read more...]|