Concept Carz Home Concepts and PrototypesAbout Follow ConceptCarz on Facebook Follow ConceptCarz on Twitter RSS News Feed
 
 CoupesArrow PictureManufacturersArrow PictureFerrariArrow Picture365 GTC (1968 - 1969)Arrow Picture1969 Ferrari 365 GTC 
Image Left 1968 365 GTC
 

1969 Ferrari 365 GTC news, pictures, specifications, and information

Coupe
Chassis Num: 12177
Engine Num: 12177
 
Though there was only a 20 horsepower stated difference between the 4.0-liter engine of the 330 GTC and the new 4.4-liter 365, the drivability was drastically different. The 365 GTC/4, introduced in 1971, meant that only a few of the 365 GTC were ever created. This example, chassis number 12177, is one of the few (circa 150) 365 GTC cars created and has had just four owners since 1974. It is painted in silver metallic and features a black leather interior with red carpeting.

In 2008, this vehicle was offered for sale at the 'Sports & Classics of Monterey' presented by RM Auctions. It had an estimated value of $300,000 - $350,000. The lot was sold for a high bid of $324,500, including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2009
Coupe
Chassis Num: 12271
Engine Num: 12271
 
Sold for $266,750 at 2010 Gooding & Company.
Sold for $374,000 at 2011 Gooding & Company.
The Ferrari 330 and 365 Series were refined models that offered owners a sophisticated chassis, potent drivetrains, charming styling and luxuriously appointed interior. There were only 150 examples of the 365 GTC produced between 1968 and 1969.

The success of the 330 GTC encouraged Ferrari to give the design one final year of life, equipping it with an increase in power and torque, as well as minor cosmetic changes, including new cooling vents that were moved from the side panels onto the bonnet.

This 356 GTC was originally finished in Marrone Colorado with a Nero interior. It left the factory in March of 1969 destined for M.G. Crepaldi S.a.s., the official dealership in Milan, from where it was sold to its first owner. It remained in Italy until the early 1970s, when Italian car broker Robert de la Rive Box imported it into Switzerland.

On September 10th of 1977, Mr. de la Rive Box sold it to Ralph Stafano, a mechanical engineer and Ferrari collector living in Anchorage, Alaska. Stuart Hollander of St. Louis acquired it in 1987. At the time, it was still wearing its original color scheme. Mr. Hollander commissioned a complete restoration, during which time the livery was changed to red paint with a tan interior. Completed in 1989, the work resulted in immediate exhibition success when the car placed Third in Class that same year at the annual Ferrari Club of America National Concours at Lake Lanier Islands, Georgia.

Daniel Wetuk of North Salem, NY purchased it in early 2000. In December of 2004, Dr. Alex Albarian from Glendale, CA became the vehicle's next owner. From late 2007 to 2009, the car was treated to a range of mechanical and cosmetic work that included reupholstering the center console and refitting a period-correct radio, installing new carburetors, adding a factory correct air-conditioning system and rebuilding the suspension and brakes.

In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, California. It was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $400,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $374,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
Coupe
 
First shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 1966 this car was ordered by the Woolworth heiress, Barbara Hutton. It was delivered to her Tangiers home in Morocco, where she drove it very rarely, covering less than 5,000 miles. One of the wealthiest women in the world, Mrs. Hutton knew all about Ferraris since her marriage to Prince Igor Nikolayevich Troubetzkoy, the first man to race a Ferrari in the Grand Prix at Monaco in 1948. Painted in a unique shade of lipstick-red, this 365 GTC still shows its Moroccan heritage by the hand-painted Royal Moroccan green star on the door, as ordered by Enzo Ferrari himself.
Coupe
Chassis Num: 12471
 
One of only 168 cars built. This car lived in Italy most of its life. It was well used when the current owner purchased it in 2004 with an eye toward bringing it back to its original condition and glory. The GTC s/n 12471 has gone through a full two-year ground up restoration by Dayal Dindval in California. The coupe has been shown one time since restoration was complete. The result was Platinum at Cavallino Classic in 2006.
Coupe
Chassis Num: 12713
 
Sold for $124,655 (CHF 160,817) at 2005 Bonhams.
Sold for $209,000 at 2007 RM Auctions.
This 1969 Ferrari 365 GTC has chassis number 12713 and is the 140th example created. It has a 4380cc V12 engine with 320 horsepower and a five-speed manual gearbox. There are four-wheel hydraulically actuated disc brakes and a wheelbase that measures 94.5-inches. This car was brought to the 2007 Monterey Sports & Classic Car Auction presented by RM Auctions, where it had an estimated value of $200,000 - $250,000.

The design is a collaboration of the front end of a 400 Superamerica married to the tail of a 275 GTS. By 1968 a new engine was fitted, displacing 4.4-liters, and creating the 365 GTC. Very few design changes were made, such as the removable of the 330 GTC's fender vents.

This vehicle is a matching numbers grand touring example finished in metallic chestnut brown with an interior that has been re-trimmed in black leather and still retains it original golden teak wood dash. It has traveled just 87,000 miles since new and still is in great condition in modern times.

At auction, the estimated value proved accurate as the lot was sold for $209,000 including buyer's premium.

By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
Coupe
Chassis Num: 12059
Engine Num: 12059
 
Sold for $726,000 at 2013 RM Auctions.
This Ferrari 365 GTC was completed on December 24th and finished in Celeste Gainsborough (Gainsborough Sky Blue) and trimmed with a Nero Franzi (Franzi Black) interior. It is a European-specification model with instruments in kilometers. The car was dispatched in June of 1969 to the Belgian dealer Jacques Swaters. Mr. Swaters registered the car with a Certificate of Conformity on May 28, 1973. Soon after, the car was acquired by Ennio Gianroli, an Italian residing in Flemmale, Belgium. It remained in Mr. Gianroli's collection until 2008.

In 2008, it was purchased by an East Coast enthusiast and treated to some mechanical freshening as well as a repaint in the shade of Grigio Notte (Midnight Grey), while the interior was reupholstered in Pelle Rossa (red leather). In 2010, the car was formally submitted to Ferrari Classiche for factory authentication.

In March of 2011, the car was purchased by a Southern California owner who treated it to a mechanical restoration. On May 6, 2012, the 365 garnered Meguiars' Award for Outstanding Paint Presentation at the Greystone Mansion Concours d'Elegance, while on June 6, the car won Second in Class at the San Marino Motor Classic.

Currently, the car shows 91,000 kilometers on the odometer.

In 2013, the car was offered for sale at RM Auction's sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. The lot was sold for the sum of $726,000 including buyer's commission.

By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2013
Coupe
Chassis Num: 12191
Engine Num: 12191
 
When Chassis number 12191 was completed in March of 1969, the car was finished in the combination of Verde Seabird over beige leather upholstery. Equipped with air-conditioning, power windows, and a deluxe Becker radio, this car was further specified with leather dashboard trim in lieu of the standard wood veneer.

When new, the car was delivered to official Ferrari concessionaire Crepaldi in Milan and sold to its first owner, Sig. Bini of Como, Italy. In 1973, Italian collector Gabriele Artom acquired the 365 GTC from Sig. Bini. Sig. Artom retained the car for 24 years. In the early 1990s, the Automotoclub Storico Italiano certified 12191, confirming its original specification.

In 1997, the car came into the care of its third owner - the first outside of Italy. In 1999, the car arrived in the United States. The Ferrari has been shipped from Michigan to Pebble Beach three times to serve as transportation during the Monterey Car Week.

The current owner has shown the car just once. in August 2002, it took part in the Concours-Italian Style held at the Edsel & Elanor Ford House on Lake St. Clair in Grosse Point, Michigan.

Since 1997, the car has traveled an estimated 30,000 km (18,600 miles). Currently, the 365 GTC remains in original, unrestored condition. It rides on correct cast aluminum wheels, period-correct Michelin XWX tires, and retains its largely original Verde Seabird paint. The original interior is also well preserved and factory original with the exception of new hides on the front seats, fitted in 1997.

By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2013
Coupe
Chassis Num: 12203
Engine Num: 12203
 
Sold for $759,000 at 2013 RM Auctions.
The Ferrari 330 GTC (Gran Turismo Coupe) was unveiled at the Geneva Salon in March of 1966. Power was provided from the latest development of Colombo's V-12 engine with a chassis closely patterned after the 275 GTB.

In 1968, the 330 GTC received a batch of modest upgrades, including an increase in engine displacement, good for an additional 20 horsepower, resulting in the 365 GTC. Distinguishing features included the relocation of its front fender vents to the hood. Greater power was achieved at a lower range of the RPM band, with strong torque developing as low as 2,500 RPM.

The 365 GTC was built in smaller quantities, with just 168 examples produced between 1968 and 1970.

This example was first delivered by Rome's original Ferrari dealer, Motor S.a.s di Carla Allegretti e C., to a local resident by the name of Nervi. In the early 1970s, the car was acquired by a Canadian doctor, who was employed at the Canadian Embassy in Rome. When he returned to Canada in the late 1970s, he brought the car with him. It remained in his ownership until his passing in the early 2000s. It was then purchased by a Canadian Ferrari dealer and enthusiast.

The car has been given a restoration and finished in the original Bleu Scuro. The car has Borrani chrome wire wheels, factory air conditioning, and a re-upholstered interior.

By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2014
The 365 Series were introduced in the late 1960's and stayed in production until the early 1970's. The 365's were often powered by a Columbo SOHC 4390 cc V-12 engine with three Weber carburetors capable of producing around 300 horsepower. The front and rear suspension for most of the series was independent with double wishbones and coil springs. The 365 GT4 2+2 had an independent with transverse parallelograms and coil springs suspension. The 365 California had a live axle with coil springs rear suspension. The chassis was an oval tube ladder type frame layout.

Disc brakes were standard on all the vehicles, as was the five-speed manual gearbox. Many of the series received standard options such as power steering and air conditioning, uncommon at the time. When most manufacturers such as Lamborghini and DeTomaso were creating vehicles with mid-engined design, Ferrari continued to use their tried-and-true front-engined, rear wheel design.

In 1967 Ferrari dominated the Daytona 24 Hours race with a first, second, and third place finish. At the 1968 Paris Auto Show the public and press were expecting Ferrari's new berlinetta to be dubbed 'Daytona'. They were proven wrong when Ferrari dubbed the vehicle the 365 GTB/4, however, the name Daytona is a common reference to the vehicle even to this day. Ferrari had intended on using 'Daytona' but it was revealed prematurely so the traditional Ferrari naming sequence was used.

During its production lifespan lasting from 1968 through 1974, 1383 examples of the Pinifarina designed 365 GTB/4 Daytona vehicles were created.

The famous coachbuilder Pininfarina was tasked with creating many of the designs for the 365 Series. The designs were not new, rather they borrowed many of the styling cues of the prior 330 GTC and 275 GTS models. The headlights were courtesy of the 500 Superfast. The result was a visually stunning automobile with proven Ferrari mechanics and performance.

GT represented Gran Turismo. GTB represented Berlinetta or coupe. GTS stood for open models which were either a targa roof or a full convertible. '4' represented four-cam engines. 'C' represented 'Competizione' or 'Corsa' meaning 'to race'.

365 California
In 1966 Ferrari introduced the 365 California at the Geneva Auto Show as a replacement for the Ferrari 500 Superfast. The famous coachbuilder, Pininfarina, had been tasked with creating the body for the vehicle. The result was a two door, two-seat, convertible. The 365 borrowed many of the mechanics of its predecessor including the five-speed manual gearbox, chassis, and suspension. The front of vehicle was similar in design to the 500 with the remaining portions all new. With a top speed of 240 km/h, it was the fastest convertible in the world at the time. Disc brakes provided excellent stopping power for the 1300 kg vehicle. Production continued for only a year with a total of fourteen examples being created.

365 GT2+2
In 1967 Ferrari introduced the 365 GT2+2, only its second production four-seater vehicle. The vehicle would stay in production until 1971 during which around 800 examples being created.

The rear passengers had limited headroom but there was sufficient legroom for most passengers. The purpose of the vehicle was to provided performance and comfort. As a result the vehicle was outfitted with electric windows, leather interior, power assisted brakes, full carpeting, and optional air conditioning.

365 GTC
Near the close of 1968, Ferrari introduced the 365 GTC which stayed in production until 1970. During the production lifespan, 168 examples were produced. The 365 GTC was basically a 330 GTC with a SOHC 4390 cc V-12 engine. Visually, the vehicle was very similar to its predecessor except for the air vents in the front wings had been removed. In their place were black vents placed in the back corners of the hood.

365 GTS
The 365 GTS was a replacement for the 330 GTS. It featured a 4390 cc SOHC engine and had its cooling vents removed in favor of vents in the hood. Only twenty examples were created.

365 GTC/4
In 1971 Ferrari introduced the 365 GTC/4 as a replacement for the 365 GT 2+2. It sat atop a Daytona chassis and given an independent suspension. The same Daytona ventilated disc brakes were used. The gearbox was mounted in the front and the engine was the 4390 cc V12 but with six sidedraught Weber carburetors and wet sump lubrication resulting in 340 horsepower.

The design was once again handled by Pininfarina. The two-door, 2+2 coupe had pop-up headlights and five-spoke alloy wheels. During its production lifespan lasting until 1972, around 500 examples were produced. Strict American safety and emission regulations were partly responsible for the demise of the GTC/4.

365 GT4 2+2
The 365 GT4 2+2 was debuted to the public at the 1972 Paris Auto Show as a replacement for the 365 GT 2+2 and the 365 GTC/4. It sat atop an enlarged 365 GTC/4 chassis and given the same mechanics. The larger chassis meant more interior room for the passengers, especially the rear passengers, and their luggage. The styling was once again assigned to Pininfarina. The design was different from the prior 365 models.

During its production lifespan lasting until 1976, around 470 examples were created.

365 GT4 BB
The 365 GT4 BB, meaning Berlinetta Boxer, was introduced to the public at the 1971 Turin Auto Show. Its styling was similar to the P6 show car built in 1968. The engine was a flat-12 cylinder power-plant mounted longitudinal. The gearbox was mounted under the engine. This was a great design but ultimately created an unbalanced weight distribution with most of the weight over the rear axle. The weight distribution problem and the fact that the engine was mounted high in the vehicle resulted in a car that had poor handling and never achieved successful racing status.

The 365 GT4 BB was replaced by the 512 BB in 1976. The 512 BB was similar in design but featured a five-liter engine.

By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2006
For more information and related vehicles, click here

Postwar Ferrari Named Best of Show at 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe Named 'Best of Show' PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 17, 2014) -- Excited cheers echoed across the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links Sunday when a 1954 Ferrari 375 MM Scaglietti Coupe was named Best of Show at the 64th annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. The car, owned by Jon Shirley of Medina, Washington, was the first postwar car to take the top award at the prestigious event in nearly five decades. It was also the first Ferrari to win. ...[Read more...]
63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance Names 1934 Packard 'Best of Show'
The competition showcased 248 cars, including 48 from abroad PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 18, 2013) -- A 1934 Packard 1108 Twelve Dietrich Convertible Victoria owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey, was named Best of Show at the 63rd Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, held Sunday on the 18th fairway of Pebble Beach Golf Links at Pebble Beach Resorts. The event showcased 248 cars from 36 states and 12 countries and raised $1,277,007 for charity. 'This Pack...[Read more...]
Extremely Rare 166 Inter Berlinetta, Ferrari's First Road Model, to Headline Russo and Steele's Highly Anticipated Monterey Auction Event
Throughout its storied history, California's Monterey Peninsula has played host to a pantheon of the greatest competition-inspired road cars ever conceived and built. This year, Russo and Steele's outstanding early consignments for Monterey will include a truly significant offering in the form of Ferrari's very first road-going Sports/GT series, the 166 Inter. Only 37 were produced in all, with just eight – exemplified by the striking Berlinetta offered here, numbered 037 S – fitted with elegant...[Read more...]
Incredible Hypercar 'Full House' Tops Spectacular Ferrari Extravaganza
• RM Auctions announces amazing 16 car Ferrari haul for its forthcoming sale during the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este weekend, 25th May, on Lake Como, Italy • Hypercar 'full house' includes Ferrari Enzo, F50, F40, 288 GTO, and 599XX • Full list of handpicked entries available online at rmauctions.com LONDON (16 April, 2013) – RM Auctions, the world's largest collector car auction house for investment-quality automobiles, is delighted to announce that its exclusive sale during the...[Read more...]
Six Decades Of Ferrari At Mecum's Daytime Auction
1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Headlines Select Offering of Italian Illuminati Mecum Auctions will present its 4th annual Monterey Daytime Auction, Aug. 16-18, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa on Del Monte Golf course, featuring some of finest machines Ferrari has ever produced headlined by a 1954 750 Monza Spyder Scaglietti. By turns part of the Engelbert Stieger, Brando Wang, Walter Burani and Roberto Crippa collections, 1954 Ferrari 750 Monza Spyder Scaglietti S/N 0462MD...[Read more...]
156
166
166 F2
195
196
212
246
250 GT
250 Monza
250 Testarossa
275
288
308
312
328
330
333 SP
335
342 America
348
360
365
375
400
410
410 S
456
458
500 F2
500 Superfast
500 TR
512
512 BB/LM
550
553
575
599
612 Scaglietti
625
California
Dino
Enzo
F12berlinetta
F355
F40
F430
F430 GTC
F50
FF
LaFerrari
Mondial
Mondial 500
Testarossa
Type 340

Image Left 1968 365 GTC
© 1998-2014. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.