Sold for $51,750 at 2012 Bonhams
The 220 Series was a luxury vehicle that was mechanically advanced and an economical means of transportation. For 1963, the 220 Series was available as a 4-door sedan, 2-door coupe, or a convertible. Pricing ranged from $4350 to $9560. The most expensive bodystyle was the convertible which offered both open and closed motoring experiences. The base engine was a six-cylinder overhead cam unit that offered 05 SAE horsepower. A 124 and 134 horsepower version was also available.
The 220SEb saloon made its introduction at the 1959 Frankfurt Auto Show. It had styling that would become synonymous with the brand through to the 1980s. They were longer than their predecessors and featured a wider rear window and vertically positioned twin headlamps. Top speed was achieved at 107 mph with zero-to-sixty mph achieved in under 14 seconds. When the car was first introduced, it was available as a sedan. A coupe and convertible appeared in 1961. They were better appointed, being equipped as standard with a tachometer, leather upholstery and four-speed automatic transmission.
This Mercedes-Benz 220SEb is finished in white with navy blue MB-Tex interior and matching navy blue top. It was delivered new to the Pacific Northwest and has been carefully maintained by its three owners from new. The second owner kept the car for thirty years.
In 2012 the car was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge Sale in Carmel, CA presented by Bonhams. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $51,750, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2012
Mercedes chassis code W111 encapsulated a full range of cars from 1959 through 1971, depending on the model, with a 6-cylinder engine of some 2.2 liters. Not every new model was launched simultaneously. (The luxury 3-liter sixes were W112, the entry level fours, W110.) These cars are the 'fintails' (heckflosse
in German) which replaced the 'Pontons'. Some 2,729 220 SE Cabriolets (code 111.023) were manufactured between September 1961 and October 1965 using the single overhead cam, 6-cylinder, 2195cc M127.984/R6 motor quoted at 120 horsepower.