The Tyrrell racing team was founded by Ken Tyrrell and competed in Formula One competition (and other Formula events) from 1958 through 1998. When it was first formed in 1958, it raced in Formula Three competition. Ken drove during the 1958 season but resigned those duties to others more qualified for the following seasons.
The Lotus 78 of 1977 introduced ground effects which changed the design philosophy of Formula 1 Competition. The impressive performance by the Lotus 79 a year later cemented the necessity for aerodynamics and ground effects. As a result, the Tyrrell 009 was radically different from its predecessor. The designer, Maurice Philippe, had designed the 008 and was commissioned to create the 009. He placed the Ford/Cosworth DFV V8 engine directly behind the driver and bolted it onto an aluminum monocoque. The 485 horsepower unit was matted to a Hewland FGA 400 five-speed gearbox. The vehicle was suspended in place by rocker arms and coil springs in the front and double wishbones and coil springs in the rear.
For 1979, Tyrrell's sponsorship changed and the blue and white livery of the previous year was replaced by a dark-blue paint job and 'Candy' logos throughout the vehicle.
The Grand Prix Season of 1979 began at Argentina. Jarier and Pironi were the team's drivers and were able to qualify in fourth and eighth position. During the race, the cars were forced to retire prematurely due to mechanical issues. Throughout the next few races, the cars were able to accumulate points and finished the season fifth in the constructor's championship.
The following year, the Tyrrell 009, of which five had been created, was replaced by the 010 which brought with it improved use of ground effects.By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2007