Only four examples of the Packard Model G, built in Warren, Ohio, were ever created. They had twin-cylinders and, unfortunately, were not a successful vehicle. James Ward Packard, a business man, realized his mistakes and continued on his automobile production endeavor. The next Packard was a four-cylinder car dubbed the Model K. It was introduced in the fall of 1902. This model was successful and soon the Packard Motor Car Company was established. A new factory was constructed in 1903.During the dawn of the automobile, racing was paramount. A good finish on Sunday meant sales on Monday. Packard realized this necessity and quickly entered their four-cylinder car into competition. Their designer, Charles Schmidt, did most of the driving. One of his more successful campaigns was in 1904 in the first Vanderbilt Cup race where he achieved a respectable four-place. He drove a Packard at Daytona 77.5 mph record. The publicity from the racing accomplishments fueled sales. By 1904 annual production exceeded 200 units.The 1904 models had a displacement size of 241.7 cubic-inches. The size increased the following year to 265.7 cubic-inches. For 1906, Packard introduced their legendary Model S, commonly known as the Model 24. It was powered by a 'T'-head engine featuring a magneto jump spark ignition. This was soon followed by the Model Thirty which featured a displacement size of 431.9 cubic-inches and produced 30 horsepower. It had larger valves and other improvements to help achieve this impressive amount of horsepower. The engine was used to power the company's formal touring cars, limousines, and landaulette models. Most were built atop a 122-inch wheelbase. The two-seater Runabout rested on a wheelbase that measured a mere 108 inches.
Total production for the Model Thirty (U Series) cars was 1,128.
Chassis 3924 The original owner of this car was Mr. Shaw of Topsfield, Massachusetts. It remained in his care until 1940 when it ownership was changed to Rob Blood. He retained the car for 26 years. By 1966 it was in the possession of Ms. Ivy Finn, then George Waterman, then Robert Petrarca of Warwick, Rhode Island, then to Joe Beers of Windgap, Pennsylvania in 1972. Mr. Beers kept the car until his demise in 2006. This 1907 Packard Model Thirty U Series Runabout was offered for sale at the 2007 Bonhams Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia at the Quail Lodge Resort & Golf Club and was estimated to sell for $350,000 - $450,000. It left the auction unsold.This Runabout was treated to a ground-up restoration in 1984. It is painted in yellow with a deep maroon pinstripe, red wooden wheels and chassis detail, and matching red deep-button leather interior. It has a cape top, brass gas headlamps and kerosene side and rear lamps, folding brass-framed windshield, two spares mounted on the driver's side, and a bulb horn on the passenger side. This car is the thirty-second oldest complete Packard known to exist. By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2008
This 1907 Packard 30hp Gentleman's Roadster was on display at the 2008 'Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia' sale presented by Bonhams Auction. It was later offered for sale at the 'The Richard C. Paine Jr. Collection' auction in September of 2008 where it was estimated to sell for $300,000 - $400,000. This Gentleman's Roadster was acquired from Dr. Samuel Scher in the mid-60's in a multi-car transaction. It was given a restoration by Gus Reuter to National First Prize winning condition for Dr. Scher. The Jones speedometer shows just 7,973 miles. There is a trumpet bulb horn, acetylene headlights, kerosene sidelights, luggage trunk, a single spare tire strapped to the right running board and a bucket-style 'mother-in-law seat' on the rear deck atop the copper gas tank. The interior features two bucket seats for the driver and passenger, hood and cowl. There is a top but no side curtains. It is painted in a combination of pale greenish-cream with dark green accents, borders, undercarriage and inner fenders. The interior is green leather with a tan cloth top and spare tire cover piped in green. At auction, the car was left unsold. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2008
Sold for $305,000 at 2016 Mecum : Monterey. The new Model 30 (also known as the Model U) for 1907 cemented Packard as a true luxury automobile maker, creating, with Peerless and Pierce-Arrow, the 'Three Ps' of prestige in American automobile manufacturing. Packard was the only member of the Three Ps to survive the Depression, but only because it diversified into medium-priced cars. Still, Packard continued to lead the American luxury segment after World War II and was out sold by Cadillac only once before 1950. The Model 30 is a four-cylinder car built in several series from 1907-1912. Along with the smaller Model 18 (1908-1912), it was Packard's last four-cylinder automobile. It was also Packard's only offering from 1907 and 1908. It would eventually be replaced by the Packard Six.The redesigned T-head, water-cooled four-cylinder engine displaces 431.9 cubic-inches and produces 30 horsepower at 650 RPM with a rear-mounted three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, two-wheel mechanical brakes sitting on 123.5 inch wheelbase. The redesigned linkage in the transmission allowed the reverse gear to be activated with the regular gear-shift. Since 1904, all previous Packards had a separate lever for the reverse gear.
The Packard Model 30 was offered with both closed and open bodies. Prices when introduced started at about $4,200 for the open models and went up to $5,500 for the limousine and $5,600 for the luxurious landaulet model. The long list of standard equipment includes oil lamps, a full tool kit and a pair of extra demountable rims. The closed cars also included speaking tubes, adjustable ventilators, and a dome light that features its' own separate battery. Also included were a speedometer and an air-pressure gauge.
This seven-passenger touring car is a fine example of the understated elegance and beautiful craftsmanship for which Packard would become known. This is the 28th oldest Packard known to exist. It is one of 1,403 Packard's produced in 1907. It is a former AACA Award Winner including Preservation in 2012.
Leonard Davis performed a six-year restoration on the car in 1976. It is finished in Maroon with Gold striping. There are brass headlamps and trim, 16-inch Sterling steering wheel, red spoke wheels, Dunlop tires including two spares, and a known ownership history since 1955.
The slogan 'Ask The Man Who Owns One' is one of the most famous in American History. It was the response given to most individuals when asked about a Packard. They were reliable, elegant, powerful, and quality automobiles. Their attention to detail and ingenuity were some of the key factors in making the company successful.The Packard legend begins in 1898 when James Ward Packard, a mechanical engineer, purchased a Winton. The Winton automobiles were good automobiles but the one that Packard had purchased had many flaws and broke down on its first road trip. Packard returned the vehicle to Winton and voiced his displeasure. Winton challenged Packard to build a better product. James and his brother William Dowd Packard began immediately on building a vehicle. A year later their first car, a one-cylinder, was introduced. They built four more cars that year, and the following year, in 1900, they produced 47 of a Model B under the name New York and Ohio Company, a subsidiary of the brothers' Packard Electric Company, manufacturers of transformers and electric lighting equipment. The cars were simple yet durable. They featured a single-cylinder engine mounted under the seat and attached to a two-speed planetary transmission and chain drive. On September 10th of 1900 the Ohio Automobile Company, based in Warren, Ohio, was formed. In 1903 the name was changed to the Packard Motor Car Company when it moved from Warren, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan. The move was the result of a majority stock purchase made by investors in the Detroit area.
In 1907 Packard introduced their Model 30 which would remain in production until the early 1910s. It was called the Model 30 because of its 30 horsepower engine. By T-head four-cylinder unit displaced 431.9 cubic-inches and powered the rear wheels via a three-speed manual transmission mounted in the rear.
The Model 30 was a very important car for Packard and was a top seller for many years, even after it was joined by a smaller Model 18 in 1909. In 1908 Packard extended and enlarged the wheelbase and fitted them with 36-inch wheels. The results of this revised Model 30 was designated UA. There were additional body styles such as a close-coupled tourer and a victoria, and windshields were optional equipment. Packard made another bold claim in 1909 by touting this Model 30 UB as 'The Masterpiece of the Largest Exclusive Motor Car Factory in the World.' The claims were justified as Packard was the largest exclusive motor car factory in the world with its floor-space that extended 14 acres and their payroll had 3,200 employees. In 1909 founder James Ward Packard's presidency was passed on the Henry Joy. In 1910 the Model 30 UC was introduced. The list of new bodystyles included a phaeton, and a four-passenger tourer. Mechanical improvements included a dry ply clutch which replaced the expansion ring unit.In 1911 the succession continued with the Model 30-UD. A coupe and a brougham were new body styles, replacing the landaulet and demi-limousine. The six-cylinder cars was the big news for the year with production models designated as 1912. The final year of the Model 30 saw significant changes. The wheelbase was lengthened providing even more luxurious accommodations for its passengers. Side curtains were now standard. The ride and handling was enhanced with improved shock absorbers. In the front were 37 x 5 tires and 36x4.5 in the rear. A spare tire of each size could be found on the right running board. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2007
The Packard Motor Company displayed their first motor carriage in 1900, at first New York City auto show. Three years later, the Packard's had improved significantly and their reliability was greatly increased. A 1902 Model F fitted with a Packard single-cylinder 12 horsepower engine and automatic ignition advance made the transcontinental trip from San Francisco to New York in 53 days. In 1907, Packard introduced their first model to have its name indicate its engine power. It was the Model 30. The Packard Model 30 was powered by a newly-designed T-head four-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 40 horsepower under the ALAM system. The engine had a 5-inch bore and a long 5.5-inch stroke. It displaced 432 cubic-inches and was advertised as making 30 brake horsepower. The new engine was designed to carry the long, large, and heavy coach-bodys which were become more popular with the wealthy. The engine, itself, required a longer wheelbase chassis to accommodate its size. The drive was through an unusual expanding band clutch with a three-speed transmission to a live rear axle. This setup was in favor of the prior configuration of transverse leaf springs which had been abandoned the previous year with the Model S. Now, the front and rear was given semi-elliptical leaf springs. Redundant braking on the rear wheels was provided by both expanding shoe and contracting band brakes.
During its introductory year, over 1,300 examples were sold. It was an immediate success for the Packard Company. It was a very versatile vehicle, offered in two-wheelbase sizes and several body styles to accommodate a diverse clientele. The Touring, Limousine, and Landaulette coachwork rode on a 122-inch wheelbase while the Sporting Runabout and Gentleman's Roadster rode atop a shorter 108-inch wheelbase.
The LD Motorsports World RX Team has confirmed that double European Rallycross champion Derek Tohill and Polish national Super1600 Champion Krzysztof Skorupski will be joining its team for the 2014 season....
Cypress, CA - The Toyo Tires® display booths will be filled with one-of-a-kind vehicles next month at the 2013 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. With a larger presence than ever, the company has three locations...