The model S was Invicta's most famous car, winning the Monte Carlo in 1931 with Donald Healey driving. The car also had victories in the Alpine Rally. It is powered by a 4.5-liter straight-6 Meadows engine capable of 140 bhp and delivering speeds of over 100 mph. From 1931 to 1935, just 75 S chassis were built; they were very expensive and were the only real sports cars in the Invicta line. The chassis had a shorter wheelbase than the standard model and an underslung frame, which lowered the center of gravity and made the coachwork more aerodynamic. The coachwork on this car is a limited edition built by Carbodies of Coventry, England, one of the country's oldest and longest operating custom coachbuilders.
The Invicta Car Company was a British based automotive manufacturer that produced cars from 1925 through 1950. In the early 2000s, the name was revised and placed on a high-performance sports car. From 1925 to 1933, the company was based in Cobham, Surrey, England; they moved in 1933 to Chelsea, London, England and remained there until 1938. After World War II, the company resumed production in facilities in Virginia Water, Surrey, England.
The founder of the company was Noel Macklin and Oliver Lyle. Lyle provided the financial support while Macklin was responsible for vehicle assemble; early production transpired in Macklin's garage at his home. Macklin's goal was to create a car that could compete with Rolls-Royce in quality, and Bentley in performance. He began by outfitting his chassis with a long-stroke Meadows 2.5-liter Six-cylinder engine. The cars he sold, much like many others at the time, were merely rolling chassis. It was left up to the customer's discretion as to which coachbuilder should outfit the car, and what bodystyle should be selected.
By 1926 the engine's displacement size had grown to three-liters, improving performance and allowing for heavier bodies to able adapted to the chassis. From 1926 through 1929, around 200 examples were produced.
From 1928 through 1934, Invicta offered a 4.5-liter car, available on a short or long wheelbase. The short wheelbase, also known as the Type A, was 118-inches while the longer version, the Type B, rested comfortably on a 126-inch wheelbase. In total, around 500 examples were created which was a tremendous accomplishment considering the competition from other, more established, marques, and due to the high price tag for the vehicle.
By the early 1930s, the Invicta Company tried to expand their customer base by offering a 1.5-liter six-cylinder overhead cam Blackburne engine. The model was called the 12/45 and offered beginning in 1932. A supercharged version, the 12/90, came available the following year. This improved horsepower from 45 to 90 bhp.
In the post World War II era, the Invicta Company continued to utilize the Meadows engine for their automobiles. Production was low, with less than 20 being produced during this time perior. The company was purchased by Frazer Nash in 1950.By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2008
Registration #: XJ1079
Invicta Cars produced about 1,000 models overall. Former racing driver Captain Noel Macklin and Oliver Lyle established the Invicta Car Company in 1924 to build the finest British sports cars. It was based in a small factory in Cobham near the Brooklands circuit where cars were often raced. Powered by a Coventry Climax 4-cylinder engine, the first Invicta was finished in 1925. Later cars had a 2.5-liter straight-six Meadows engine that produced a lot of torque, and over time the engine grew in size, first to 3 litres and ultimately to 4.5 litres. Invictas were well loved and very successful on the track and in road rallies. The company's most famous model, the S-type with its underslung chassis designed by Reid Railton, was launched at the 1930 Olympia Car Show. This configuration lowered the car's center of gravity, greatly improving its performance. Some S-Types were sold as rolling chassis but Invicta offered standard Tourer coachwork by Carbodies of Coventry.
The Invicta Company built fast touring cars from 1925 through 1950. Their S-Type model won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1931 with Donald Healey driving. It is powered by a 4.5-liter straight-six Meadows engine capable of 140 horsepower. Due to its underslung frame, which not only lowered the center of gravity but made the car more aerodynamic, it was capable of speeds of well over 100 mph.
This 4.5-liter S-Type was christened 'Somali' by its first owner, racing driver Charles Needham, who competed in various events including the 1932 Alpine Trial where he won the Glacier Cup. The coachwork on this car is built by Carbodies of Coventry, one of England's oldest and longest operating custom coachbuilders.