1949 MG TCThe MG TA Midget appeared in the spring of 1936 as a replacement for the MG PB. It featured many components borrowed from Morris. Channel sections replaced the tubular cross-members making the vehicles ride more comfortable. The suspension was provided by leaf springs and beam-axle in the front and rear. The brakes were hydraulically operated drums, a first for MG. The body shell was assembled around the MG traditional way of using a wooden frame. All this added up to a total weight of 1,765 pounds.
A 1292 cc, overhead-valve, pushrod, four-cylinder engine was placed in the front and powered the rear wheels. Outfitted with dual horizontal SU carburetors, the engine produced 50 horsepower. The four-speed manual gearbox was synchromesh, another first for MG.
When first introduced, the two-seater vehicle could be purchased in open and closed configuration. Later, the open coupe, referred to as an Airline Coupe, was replaced with a Drophead style. The Drophead used a soft-top that could open and close depending on the driver and the weather conditions.
In 1939 World War II was beginning. MG was introducing its latest vehicle, the TB Midget. It was basically the same as the TA, but was equipped with a larger, 1250cc, engine. The four-cylinder over-head valve, XPAG power plant was borrowed from the new Morris 10. It produced 45 horsepower and was much more reliable than its predecessor. When the war began, production ceased. MG shifted its focus to creating equipment for military purposes.
At the end of the War, MG introduced the TC Midget. This was essentially a TB with very few modifications. The chassis was modified with rubber bush shackles in place of the sliding trunnion spring mountings. The transmission was the single-plate dry clutch and four-speed synchromesh unit. The engine was the XPAG 1250 cc pushrod engine. It was essential a TB offered in one body style, an open two-seater.
Even though the TC was a rebirth of an old model and used outdated mechanical equipments but modern interior, the TC Midget was very successful. During its four year production run, lasting from 1945 through 1949, more than 10,000 TC's were created.
In 1949, the TC was replaced by the TD Midget. It visually appeared like the previous Midgets, but was very different in mechanical ways. With a new chassis, it was sturdier and provided a comfortable ride. An independent suspension with double wishbones and coil springs were placed in the front. The vehicle was left-hand drive. The engine and transmission were identical to the TC. To comply with newly developed safety concerns and regulations, bumpers were placed on the front and in the rear.
A Mark II version used a more powerful version of the XPAG engine. With larger carburetors and higher compression ratio, the vehicle produced 57 horsepower. The suspension was modified and the interior received bucket seats.
During its four-year production run, the TD experienced even more success than its predecessor. Just like the TC, many of the TD Midgets were exported to the United States.
In 1953, the TD was updated and dubbed the TF. It was given a 1466 cc engine. Production continued through 1955 when it was replaced by the MGA.
Prior to World War I, the future of the company was unknown. Thanks to the success of the TA, the road was paved for MG to continue their prosperous status after the War. The models that followed brought modifications both visually and mechanically. The T-Series, lasting from 1936 through 1955, was a simple and reliable two-seater sports car that was fun to drive.
By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2005
The MG TC, with its large wheels, 4-cylinder engine and sporty stance, has been a long time favorite with sports car enthusiasts and racers. The example shown, finished in Clipper Blue with a tan leather, has been in the same collection for more tha....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 6783
The TC was the first postwar MG, launched in 1945. It was quite similar to the pre-war TB, sharing the same engine with a slightly higher compression ratio of 7.4:1 giving 54.5 bhp at 5200 rpm but using more modern interior elements allowing a wider....[continue reading]
'SAFETY FAST' was the advertising slogan for this automobile. The M.G. Car Company was started by Cecil Kimber and Sir William Morris in oxford England in 1929. The M.G. name comes from - Morris Garage. The M.G. TC was built from September 17, 194....[continue reading]
This car was given a restoration during the late 1980s or early 1990s. It is in good condition and finished in British Racing Green paint with a tan interior. The steering wheel, like all TC models, is on the right side of the car. ....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 0R7075
The MG T-Type was introduced in 1936. The TA would create the design that would set the style for MG's sports cars for the next two decades. They had an upright chrome grille, deep-cut doors and a slab-shaped petrol tank at the rear. These lightwe....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: XPAG7540
Cecil Kimber was General Manager of Morris garage of Oxford, England in the mid-twenties, as he began modifying Morris' cars. By the fall of 1927, Kimber moved the operation into larger facilities in Cowley while referring to the company as the MG Ca....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: TC6943
This MG TC is finished in Burgundy with a Biscuit interior. It has a rebuilt 1250cc XPAG engine with new bearings, pistons, rings and valves. There is a 4-speed transmission, windshield wind wings, rear Nerf bars, and an aftermarket stabilizer bar in....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: XPAG9042
This is a special MG TC Roadster as it is the first car that Carroll Shelby drove in a race. In May of 1952, Shelby's friend, Ed Wilkins, allowed Mr. Shelby to drive this MG TC in a road race at Norman, OK. He won the race and the second race too.....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: TC6669
Released to the public in September 1945, the TC was MG's first post-war production automobile and introduced Americans to the English sport car. It had a slightly higher compression ratio than the previous TB model, 7.4:1 giving 55 horsepower at 520....[continue reading]
This TC was completed at the Abingdon works on June 24th, 1949, and completed with the EXU chassis prefix, indicating that the car was built for Export, most likely destined for the United States market. There were just 454 such EXU examples imported....[continue reading]
When the right-hand drive TC appeared in 1946, it was nearly identical in appearance to the pre-war Type TA and TB. They were brought to the United States in considerable numbers by GIs returning from England and quickly gained a strong following, es....[continue reading]
© 1998-2018. All rights reserved. The material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.