The 1959 MGA 1500 continued with the same 1489cc engine and still was amiable in either coupe or roadster form. In the spring of 1958, MG made an announcement for a new Twin-Cam version of the MGA. This new version featured a dual-overhead-cam four-c....[continue reading]
This handsome coupe represents the quickest ever MGA. It has a 1588cc B-Series engine with a twin-camshaft head designed by racecar builder Harry Westlake. This optional combination produced 108hp and had a top speed of 110 mph. With an independent f....[continue reading]
In September of 1955, MG introduced its 'A' (MGA) and it marked a radical departure from its predecessors. By the spring of 1958, the Twin-Cam arrived, which included Dunlop four-wheel disc brakes and disc-type knock-off wheels. This new version had ....[continue reading]
This MGA is the only known surviving car from the 1959 MGA Sebring team. The 1959 MGA Team represented the MG Car Company's first factory prepared 'Works' entries at Sebring. MG's General Manager, John Thornley was on hand with works team manager Mar....[continue reading]
The MGA made its debut ten years after World War II and competed against the Triumph TR2 and then the TR3, and the big Healey for customer sales. The MGA was also a bridge between the modern and classic era of sports car development. This particular ....[continue reading]
This MGA is one of 2,111 produced and is finished in Old English White with a red interior. Power is from an original factory built twin cam 1588cc dual overhead cam engine mated to a 4-speed manual transmission. It has been given a professional rest....[continue reading]
Chassis #: YD3-1721
Chassis #: YD3/1841
Chassis #: HDT43/46435
Chassis #: YD3734
The MGA began production in 1955. The styling and mechanics were different from previous MG models. The public had been given hints of its new design during the 1951 Le-Mans 24 hour endurance race. The car was driven by George Phillips and was actually a TD Midget with body modifications. The XPAG engine that had power many previous MG's was replaced by a new power-plant. This 1489 cc four-cylinder, B-series engine provided between 68 and 72 horsepower. The BMC B-series unit had made its debut in the MG Magnette saloon and proved to be a reliable and powerful engine.
To create enthusiasm for the cars prior to release, three aluminum bodied prototypes were created and dubbed EX182. They were entered into the Le Mans race where they finished fifth and sixth in their class. This epic achievement gave the MGA racing credibility and mechanical reliability.
The styling of the car was undeniably elegant. Its aerodynamic design and two-seat open-body was stylish and sporty. The vehicle sat very low to the ground providing an excellent center of gravity. This improved the handling and cornering ability. The chassis was a modified TD Midget unit with widely spaced side rails allowing for a low-seating position.
In the rear of the vehicle was a spare wheel mounted on the upper portion of the outside of the vehicle. Underneath was adequate trunk-space for luggage. At the front of the vehicle sat the engine.
Steel disc wheels were standard equipment but centre-locking wire wheels could be substituted at an additional fee. Since the car had an open top, it was subjected to the elements. A hard-top could be purchased making the vehicle more versatile.
A coupe version quickly followed and offered features such as wind-up windows, soft-top version, and other amenities that helped appeal to a wider customer base. To stay competitive on the race track, the MGA twin-cam version was introduced in 1958. This high performance version could be driven to the race track, race, and then be driven home. The engine had been modified with aluminum components, twin overhead camshafts, and dual SU carburetors. These enhancements increased the horsepower rating to 110 and the overall top speed to 115 miles-per-hour. Disc brakes replaced the drums which not only made the car more competitive, it made it safer. Unfortunately, the vehicle suffered from reliability issues and did not hold up well to the strain of racing. So in 1960, MG discontinued its production.
In 1959, MG introduced the MGA 1600's and offered them in coupe and open form. These were the standard MGA cars but with 1588 cc B-series pushrod engines. Drum brakes were used in the rear of the vehicle, but disc brakes were placed in the front.
In 1961, the MGA 1600 MKII was introduced. It featured a 1622 cc. B-series engine that was capable of producing 93 horsepower. 100 miles per hour was easily achieved by the MKII. Minor aesthetic changes were made to the front and rear of the vehicle.
In 1962, MG ceased production of the MGA. Nearly 100,000 examples had been produced during its life span making it the longest-running and best-selling MG. The success of the vehicle was in part to its styling, racing history, performance, and its competitive pricing. Many of the MGA's produced were exported to the United States. In the end and after so many years, the MGA was having trouble staying competitive with models offered by other manufacturers. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2006Recent Vehicle Additions
In a recent rare find, two classic Chevrolet Corvettes (one 62 and one 63) - stored for decades-are being made available by the Vicari Auction Company. Both vehicles will cross the block during 2013...