The 6C 2500 was produced from 1939 until 1943. It was the last series with a separate body and frame and all-coach built bodies.
This Touring body is all aluminum and well powered with soft suspension, light steering and more nimble handlin....[continue reading]
SS Coupe Coachwork: Bertone Designer: Mario Revelli di Beaumont
This 1942 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Bertone Coupe was designed by Mario Revelli di Beaumont and is a one-off example. Found many years ago in a barn in Massachusetts, it returned to Italy and a major restoration was completed just in time for the Pebble ....[continue reading]
Alfa Romeo introduced the model 6C 2500 at the end of the 1930's. The name referenced the number of cylinders and displacement of the engine, which was the handiwork of Vittorio Jano. The 6C was available in the plethora of body styles, and wheelbase....[continue reading]
Legendary at the house of Pininfarina as the famous lost 'anti-Salon Car', this 1942, 6C2500 Alfa was purchased and bodied in 1946 by Pininfarina as the 1946 Paris Show Car. Flamboyant in the extreme, its extensive use of lucite and chrome combined w....[continue reading]
Convertible by Touring
Chassis #: 915128
SS Coupe by Bertone
Chassis #: 915.515
Cabriolet by Pininfarina
The Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 was introduced near the end of the 1930's. The 6C name was derived from the engine size, an inline-six while the 2500 represented the engines cubic-centimeter displacement size.
The engine was a version of Vittorio Jano designed six-cylinder engine. The 6C was available in a plethora of body styles and wheelbases and was produced during two different times in history. Most of the coachwork was handled by Touring of Italy or by Pinin Farina. The body styles ranged from coupes and convertible to four-seater salon. In 1939 Alfa Romeo introduced the SS version, a short-wheelbase model, dubbed 'SS' for Super Sport, that had a high-compression 6C engine rated at 105 horsepower. It was the top-of-the line 6C model that married style and performance together to create the perfect road-going vehicle.
World War II had interrupted production for many automobile manufacturers. During this time many switched their efforts to support the war, such as building engines for marine and aircraft or by producing vehicles that were suitable for war time. When Alfa Romeo resumed production, their vehicles were similar to those they had offered in 1939. The main difference was that Alfa Romeo now bodied the cars themselves rather than providing the rolling chassis for custom coachbuilders to body. The designs had become standard but they were still based on sketches and designs produced by coachbuilders such as Pinin Farina and Touring. Pinin Farina built the exclusive bodies such as the Cabriolet. These vehicles were elegant and stylish and had a price tag that matched. Touring built the Coupes which became known as the Villa d'Este in 1949 after winning the famous Concours d'Elegance Villa d'Este. When outfitted with the Superleggera, meaning light weight, bodies they were capable of speed of over 100 mph.
The engines were similar to the Jano designed six-cylinder power plant, capable of producing 110 horsepower. Independent suspension was installed to soften the ride while improving performance and handling characteristics. A four-speed manual transmission was similar to the one used prior to the onset of the war.
The history of the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 automobiles are extensive. The various designs and body-styles matched with their mechanical capabilities make these one of the finest Alfa Romeos ever produced. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2006The engine in the 1927 Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 was the basis for a series of engines that would eventually define the marque as one of the great manufacturers of the pre-war era. The Vittorio Jano designed engine was expanded to 1752cc and became the 6C 1750 which, in various bodystyles and tune, would become the backbone of Alfa Romeo production from 1929 to 1933. Two additional cylinders were later added, becoming the 8C 2300 and ultimately the 8C 2900.
In 1934, Jano introduced a new generation of Alfa Romeo engines, the dual overhead camshaft 6C 2300. The unit had a bore that measured 70mm and a stroke of 100mm. The long stroke gave the engine high torque for drivability. It was given hallow camshafts for superior lubrication resulting in better reliability. There was an improved light alloy cylinder head with chain-driven camshafts. Also adding to the reliability were the seven main bearings, single-piece block and head castings, plus a dual-level sump that acted as an oil cooler.
In 1939, the bore was increased to 72mm, resulting in the 6C 2500 with 2,443cc displacement. This engine was mounted in brilliant chassis's that were a reflection of the company's history in Grand Prix competition. At both the front and rear were an independent suspension with parallel trailing arms at the front and swing axles at the rear. Coil springs could be found in the front and torsion bars in the back.
Most of the 6C models were given custom coachwork. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2009
Gooding %26 Company will showcase a selection ofSanta Monica, Calif. (July 18, 2018) – Gooding %26 Company, the official auction house of the Pebble Beach Concours dElegance®, is proud to present a stunning...
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (August 20, 2017) — Just a week ago, Bruce R. McCaws 1929 Mercedes-Benz S Barker Tourer emerged from the restoration shop of Steve Babinsky in Lebanon, New Jersey. Today, having crossed...
Gooding %26 Company, the auction house acclaimed for selling the worlds most significant and valuable collector cars, will hold its annual Amelia Island Auction on Friday, March 7 on the Omni Amelia Island...