1934 MG PA MidgetT
he original MG Car Company Limited (for Morris Garages) was a British sport cars manufacturer that began in 1924 and was in business for 56 years. They predominately produced two-seater sports cars at a factory in Abingdon. Cecil Kimber was the general manager of Morris Garage, Oxford, U.K. during the 1920s.
The successful J2 Midget was replaced by the PA in 1934 and it followed the general lines of its predecessor, with styling dating back to the 1928 M-Type. It came equipped with a new and more robust version of the company's 847cc four-cylinder, overhead-camshaft engine fitted with a cross-flow cylinder head, stronger three-bearing crankshaft (up from a two-bearing unit), and improved lubrication. Many of the chassis alterations were the result of experience gained in competition. It had a longer wheelbase, a wider body, 12-inch diameter brakes (an improvement over the prior 8-inch units), and a strengthen chassis. Top speed was achieved at around 72 mph. MG claimed in their advertisements that 'In all there are over one hundred new and improved features.'
The PA bodystyles consisted of two- and four-seater versions. Most were open two seaters but streamlined Airline coupe bodies were also produced. Less than 2,000 examples were produced between 1934 and 1935 when the model was superseded by the short-lived PB. The classical lines and traditional MG sports car styling continued on the success 'T' series.
The wheelbase measured 87 inches, had a track of 42 inches, and the engine offered 36 horsepower. Steering was initially by a Marles Weller and later a Bishop Cam system.
The MG PB was produced from 1935 and came with a larger 939cc engine, having an enlarged bore from 57 to 60 mm, and produced 43 horsepower. The PA and PB were visually similar, with the main difference being the radiator grille, where the PB had vertical slats while the PA had a honeycomb setup. In total, 526 examples of the PB were produced.by Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2019
Related Reading : MG PA History
The MG Model P was produced from 1934 though 1936, during that time 2499 examples were produced. It was built as a replacement for the Model J. Using the same 847 cc engine but with a new 3 bearing crank it was more refined that its Midget predecessor. It continued the basic look defined by the J type. It had a fold-flat windscreen and a wheel strapped to the back of the car. The fuel tank was....Continue Reading >>
Chassis Num: PA1268
Engine Num: 1554AP
During MG's early years, nearly all of their products were 'specials.' The first was developed from a bullnose Morris in 1923, by Cecil Kimber of Morris Garages in Oxford. By 1930, Kimber had created race-worthy models that were being offered for sal....[continue reading]
This MG was manufactured in Abingdon, England and is the 6th in a batch of 10 delivered to the Lancashire County Constabulary in 1934. The MGs cost £199 new and the police specials received a 15% discount. MGs were favored due to their nimble handlin....[continue reading]
Cecil Kimber, the general manager of Morris Garage, Oxford, U.K., in the 1920s, was the man behind MG. He began modifying Morris cars for a motoring clientele anxious for more than the staid and practical. The MG PA was produced from 1934 until late-....[continue reading]
Chassis #: PA1268