Eleanor Lowthian Clay married Edsel Ford in 1916 but despite her obvious car connections, she never learned to drive. In 1952 she decided to replace her old chauffeur-driven Lincoln Town car with something more special. With the support and guidance of Lincoln designers Bill Schmidt and John Reinhart the car, code named X-400, was built by Raymond Dietrich using much-modified Lincoln body panels. It was built on a 1952 chassis, was all black and devoid of excess chrome. The rear of the car is higher so Mrs. Ford did not have to stoop to enter and the hood ornament came from the 1950 Lincoln. The vehicle stretches 18 1/2 feet long and weighs 5,590 pounds. It has a Continental style flat windshield which added six inches to the hood length. It has power windows, a Continental style rear mounted spare tire and was the first Lincoln intended for daily driving to have air conditioning. The passenger seat in the chauffer compartment could be removed to accommodate luggage and the rear passenger compartment had removable foot rests and a privacy curtain.
Delivered in early 1953, the car delighted Mrs. Ford, who used it as her primary means of transportation well into the 1970s in the Village of Grosse Pointe, always being driven by her longtime chauffeur, Arthur Fauser.
The estate of Mrs. Ford gave this vehicle to the Henry Ford Museum in 1979 where it became part of the museum's Hall of Technology. In 1989, after a full restoration, it was donated to the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House.