Sold for $143,000 at 2016 RM Sothebys : Amelia Island.Sold for $121,000 at 2017 RM Auctions : Amelia Island. Roadster
Chassis #: WS231
Engine #: 18GK E-H 24385
The HRG had a successful European racing career with impressive results at venues such as Le Mans, Monte Carlo, and Coupe des Alpes, as well as in the U.S. at Bridgehampton, Palm Beach, Watkins Glen, and others. Over the company's 22 years of production, just 241 examples were built.
This particular example was to the last of the HRG 1500s to leave the factory, shipped in July of 1956. Just 12 examples were built. This example was ordered by Northern Hemisphere importer Jack Wherry. It languished at the works while the customer, a Mr. Olson, took his time figuring out if he wanted left- or right-hand drive. He settled on right-hand drive, and by that time two more cars had were completed and shipped.
The previous owner of this car fitted it with a 1798cc BMW engine, however the original overhead-cam Singer engine is still with the vehicle.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2016
The current caretaker completed a two-year restoration. It has large high-temperature magnesium hydraulic brake cylinders, correct Brooklands aero screens, 36-inch competition safety belts, 16-inch wire wheels, and nickel-plated rear bumper. The interior features burgundy leather, Wilton wool carpeting, Jaeger instruments, and Scottish Dalvey rally timing equipment. The bonnet has its original split-yoke strap, crafted of Highland Scottish leather. There is an eight-piece spanner tool wrap, knock-off wheel hammer, Castrol oiler, and spare spark plugs set.
E.A. Halford, Guy Robins and Henry Ronald Godfrey founded the HRG Engineering Company LTD. in 1936. The name 'HRG' was formed from the surname of its founders. The company was based in Tolworth, Surrey and produced impressive sports cars until 1956 with total production reaching just 241 units. Their expertise were almost immediately evident, as within a few years of production an HRG was one of the fastest British cars entered in the grueling 24 Hours of LeMans race. In 1939 and 1949, an HRG won the 1.5-liter class.
In 1946, the company began producing their two-seater car fitted with a four-cylinder Meadows engine displacing 1.5-liters and offering nearly 60 horsepower. The designs were nearly identical to the pre-war cars, having cutaway doors and separate cycle fenders. The aluminum bodies were handf-ormed by several coachbuilders and rode on a narrow chassis.
Along with the roadster bodystyle, an aerodynamic version was available. In total, about 40 examples of those were produced until 1950.
By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009
In 1953, the company switched to a four-cylinder Swinger engine offering upwards of 65 horsepower. These were produced until 1956, with only about 12 examples created.