3.8 Sedan Chassis Num: LA10118 Engine Num: LA1011-8
Sold for $14,850 at 2008 RM Auctions. The Jaguar MKII Saloon's were produced from 1959 through 1969. They were offered in either a 3.4- or 3.8-liter version of the six-cylinder engine. They came with a standard tachometer, limited-slip differential, four-wheel disc brakes, and a four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive. An automatic was optional.
With the 3.8-liter, 220-horsepower engine installed, the MKII Models were capable of zero-to-sixty in just 8.5 seconds and top speed was achieved at 125 mph.
This 1960 Jaguar MKII 3.8 Saloon was the 33rd example built. It is a left-hand drive model that was completed on September 3rd of 1959. It has been owned by several individuals throughout the years and has been driven 44,432 miles by 1996 when a comprehensive, high-quality restoration was undertaken. It is now painted in Old English White and rides on Pirelli radial tires. The interior is the original black leather upholstery. In 2007, the car was given a GM four-speed automatic transmission to replace the original unit.
In 2008, this car was brought to the 2nd Annual Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey presented by RM Auctions where it was estimated to sell for $40,000-$50,000. It was offered without reserve. Since it had no reserve, a high bid of $14,850, including buyer's premium, was enough to secure new ownership. The lot was sold. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2008
The Jaguar Mark II saloons were as much at home on the racing circuit as they were on country roads. The engine was the race-tested Jaguar twin overhead cam, twin carbureted 3.8-liter engine that produced 220 horsepower (the same motor used in the Xk120-140-150 series cars).
This was the first year of production for the Mark II saloon. It featured four-wheel disc brakes, chromed wire wheels, fog rangers and reclining front seats. Of course, there was a complete set of tools and manuals. Luxury touches included an all-leather interior, power steering, automatic transmission, and reclining seats.
Production of the Mark II lasted from 1959 through 1967.
A complete restoration was complete by the current owner in 2003. Since then, it has been a consistent award-winner at automobile events throughout the United States.
3.8 Sedan Chassis Num: P212240BW Engine Num: LA4107-8
Sold for $41,400 at 2012 Bonhams. The Jaguar 3.4 saloon of 1957-58 was replaced by the compactly packaged Mark II saloon which arrived in late 1959. It retained the earlier car's 107.4-inch wheelbase and featured a new wrap-around backlight and revised side window details. The rear track was increased by 3.25 inches. At the front, a new vertical center bar split the already classic Jaguar grille design.
The dual overhead cam 3.8-liter inline six produced 220 horsepower and featured dual SU carburetors. The Mark II was capable of 0-60 mph in just 8.5 seconds with a top speed near 125 mph. Along with performance, the Mark II was outfitted with a sumptuous interior. This example is trimmed in red leather and there are fold-down trays for the rear passengers. The car was restored in 2000, with the engine rebuilt and the transmission upgraded to a BW65 unit.
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge Sale in Carmel, CA presented by Bonhams Auction. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $41,400, including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Oct 2012
3.8 Sedan Chassis Num: P210581BW Engine Num: 103519
Sold for $22,000 at 2017 Bonhams. This 1960 Jaguar MK II 3.8 Saloon is a recreation of the 1960 New York Auto Show car. The original had every bit of exposed metal, inside and out, was gold plated. The items included the bumpers, grill, door handles, trim, switches, wheels, tire valve screws, ash trays, mascot, even the exhaust pipe. The body was 'hand-finished' in white while the interior was trimmed in white 'English glove leather.' Veneers were walnut and two occasional tables were fitted for the rear occupants.
The original 'Golden Jaguar' made its debut at the NY Auto Show and was accompanied by an armed guard from the Burns Detective Agency and Ms. Dorothy McDonough who was dressed to match the car.
After the car was shown, it was sent back to the factory, stripped of its gold, retrimmed and sold as a standard road car.
Around 1997, the owner of this recreation began researching and gathering information about the Golden Jaguar. He, along with his brother, were able to recreate the long lost Golden Jaguar. They began with a 3.8 MK II and restored the car from the ground-up as the Golden Jaguar using all original or new-old-stock parts. Upon completion, the recreated Golden Jaguar made its concours debut in March of 1999 at the Amelia Island Concours. It was later shown at the Jaguar Association of New England Club Concours, the British Invasion in Stowe, Vermont, the Meadowbrook Hall Concours, and the Greenwich Concours. It won awards wherever it was shown including two at Greenwich: Best European Closed Sedan Post War and Best Debutante.
Since the completion of the restoration, the car has been driven about 100 miles. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2017
The Jaguar Mark II was introduced in October 1959 and continued in production until 1967. The MKII was built as a replacement for the 2.4 and 3.4 liter saloon, also known as the MKI. The MK II was based on the MKI, but the result was different in many ways, both aesthetically and mechanically. Improvements to the design and modern materials resulted in a reduced overall weight. The interior was completely redesigned but retained its luxury and elegance with such amenities as leather and wood veneer. The attention to detail both inside and out, only amplified the ambiance of sophistication. Leather seats continued to be standard until 1967 when Jaguar offered it as optional in an effort to reduce the cost of the vehicle.
Under the hood was an XK engine, the same that had won at LeMans in 1951 and 1953. The XK engine was now enlarged to 3.8 liters producing around 220 horsepower. The engine continued to prove itself as a reliable and capable power plant. By Daniel Vaughan | Mar 2006
The replacement for the first small unibody sedan, the 1955 Mark 1, the Mark II was an extremely elegant sedan that has been considered the most eye-catching, most compact Jaguar sedan ever. The Mark II featured a larger greenhouse, larger side and rear windows, an updated grille, fitted fog lamps, a wider rear track without the full fender skirts, and standard four-wheel disc brakes. Jaguar postwar saloons have always been denoted by Roman Numerals until the introduction of the XJ. The Mark 2 used Arabic Numerals denoted on the rear of the vehicle as 'MK 2'.
The interior of the Mark II was truly a masterpiece with its beautiful walnut veneer dash, plush leather seats, and multiple gauges now placed in easy distance from the driver along with a row of toggle switches. The cabin space was updated with 18% more cabin glass area, which majorly improved the visibility. The Mark II had a wide windscreen thanks to new slender front pillars. The rear windows nearly wrapped around to the enlarged side windows now with the familiar Jaguar D-shape above the rear door and completely chromed frames for all of the side windows. The larger side, tail and fog lamps found a new home as a the radiator grille was updated. A new heating system was added to the Mark II and ducted to the rear compartment.
Powering the Mark II was the DOHC aluminum six-cylinder, in 2.4-liter, 3.4-liter and 3.8-liter displacement from the Mark I. The fast and capable Mark II had a top speed of 125 mph and had an estimated 210 horsepower. The saloon came with a 120 bhp, 210 bhp or 220 bhp Jaguar XK engine. The 3.8 engine is very similar to the unit used in the 3.8 E-Type and shared the same block, crank, connecting rods and pistons but had a different inlet manifold and carburetion, so it was 30 bhp less. Compared to the straight ports of the E-Type configuration the head of the six-cylinder engine in the Mark II had curved ports. The 3.4- and 3.8-liter models were fitted with twin SU HD6 carburetors while the 2.4 was fitted with twin Solex carburetors.
The transmission was typically a four-speed with overdrive though some Borg-Warner automatics were purchased, usually in the U.S. The Mark II featured independent suspension all around, and most of the models were constructed with wire wheels. Four-wheel disc brakes were standard and the 3.8-liter was supplied fitted with a limited-slip differential. The Mark II was more than 100 kg heavier than the 2.4 / 3.4 models.
In 1961 The Motor magazine tested a 3.4-liter Mark II with automatic transmission and found it to have a top speed of 119.9 mph and the ability to accelerate from 0-60mph in just 11.9 seconds. The 3.8-liter car with the 220 bhp was found to have a top speed of 125 mph and could accelerate from 0-60mph in just 8.5 seconds. The Jaguar Mark II has a history of racing success in the European Touring Car Championship.
A total of around 85,000 of the Jaguar MK II models were produced during its lifespan from 1959 to 1967. For the last twelve months of its production period the MK II was re-labeled Jaguar 240 and Jaguar 340.
The Mark II has been portrayed in the media as either the perfect vehicle to start a car chase in, or to apprehend the lawbreakers in. With a top speed of 125 mph the 3.8 liter model had room for up to five adults and was a popular getaway car choice. The car was also employed by the police to patrol British motorways. Fictional TV detective Inspector Morse drove a Mark II with a 2.4 L engine, steel wheels and Everflex vinyl roof in his popular television series, which later sold for more than £100,000.
The Mark II cars were re-labelled 240 and 340 in September of 1967 as interim models to fill the void until the XJ6 would be introduced the following September. The 3.8-liter engine was dropped from the lineup. Once the XJ6 arrived on the scene the 340 was discontinued, but the 240 continued as a budget priced model until April of 1969. Carrying a pricetag of only £1364 the Jaguar 240 was only £20 more that the original 2.4 in 1956.
Output increased from 120 bhp at 5,750 rpm to 133 bhp at 5,500 rpm of the 240 engine. The torque was also increased and the engine now had a straight-port type cylinder head and twin HS6 SU carbs with a new inlet manifold. The 240 received an upgrade to a Borg-Warner 35 dual drive range instead of automatic transmission. The 340 now offered power steering by Marles Varamtic.
The 2.4-liter model could go faster than 100 mph for the first time, which resulted in higher sales. The servicing intervals were increased from 2,000 miles to 3,000 miles and there was a bit of modification in the shaping of the rear body while slimmer bumpers and over-riders were fitted. Amble leather-like material and tufted carpet replaced the rich leather upholstery that had graced the earlier Mark 2. The front fog lamps were replaced with circular vents and optional fog lamps for the UK market. The price of the 240 was reduced in an effort to compete with the Rover 2000 TC. Total production of the 240 and 340 series totaled 7,246 units with 4,446 240's sold, 2,788 340 models and 12 380 models before the XJ6 was introduced in September of 1968.
Despite its hefty pricetag and rigorous maintenance schedule, the timeless MK II is quite a popular collectible today. The bodylines of the Mark II (derived from the Mark I) proved to be the inspiration for the Jaguar S-Type introduced in 1999.
Sources: http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1962-Jaguar-Mark_II http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Mark_2 By Jessica Donaldson