MG produced the 'A' model from 1955 to 1962 as a roadster and a coupe. This 1962 is a Mark II Roadster, the only year that the MKII was produced. It is distinguished from the other earlier model A's by a recessed grille, the 1622 cc motor, vinyl covered dash, and tail lights mounted below the boot lid (where earlier models were fender-mounted). The name MG came from Cecil Kimber starting the MG brand at the Morris Garage, thus MG for short. The 1622cc higher compression motor produces 90 horsepower with 97 foot-pounds of torque at 5500 revolutions. The MG engine is mated to a four-speed transmission. This award winning MG has been owned by the Hickman's since 1975 and they have driven the car on many long distance trips; the last being to Key West Florida in April of 2006.
This Chariot red over black coupe is from the last year of MG A production and features a 1622cc B-Series engine and a 4:1 rear axle for lower revs at highway speeds. These last years of the MG A brought the Mark II cars and only 521 MK2 coupes were built, compared to 8198 roadsters. The car has body-on-frame construction and non-powered rack-and-pinion steering. Its low styling was a dramatic break from the more upright T-type cars that preceded it in MG's line-up.
The MGA was the first sports car to sell 100,000 examples and this is the 100,000th one to be built. It was built as a show car for the 1962 New York auto show. After the show ended the car was shipped to a dealer in Nashville, Tennessee. The current owner's brother signed a purchase agreement; that night the owner of the dealership called and said that the car was not for sale. The purchaser held his ground and enforced the sale of the vehicle. The car was driven about 8,000 miles and when it developed a mechanical problem the car was parked outside. After his death in 2000, his brother Fred was given what was left of the vehicle after 35 years of exposure. The current owner brought the car back to its original New York auto show configuration. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2010
Sold for $36,300 at 2006 RM Sothebys. This blue 1962 MGA MK II 1600 Roadster finished in Iris blue was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey where it was offered without reserve. It was expected to sell between $35,000-$45,000. The MGA Mark II was the last of the MGA Series which had been introduced in 1955 and continued until June of 1962. In total, 8,719 examples were produced in both roadster and fixed head coupe configuration. Under the hood was a BMC 1622 cc engine capable of producing 93 horsepower. The engine was cast-in-block which provided for the increase in horsepower by 13 over the previous MGA models. Torque also increased by 12 percent.
The vehicle shown has a blue interior with white piping. It has been treated to a three year frame-off restoration. All mechanical systems on the car were replaced with new components. On auction day the vehicle was sold for $36,300. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2011
Sold for $48,400 at 2012 Gooding & Company. The MGA was continually developed during its production lifespan, culminating with the Mark II 1600. Fitted with a 1,622cc four-cylinder engine, the rise in horsepower was accompanied by front disc brakes. The Mark II had twin-cam dashboard arrangement, a covered scuttle, a recessed front grille and revised combined tail lamps. Sales continued to be strong, especially in the United States, where around 6,300 examples of the MK II Roadster were sold.
This example was purchased new in San Francisco's Bay Area by Phylis Hunter. It is finished in black with a red interior and rides on wire wheels, whitewall tires, and has a luggage carrier. When Phylis married in 1966, the MGA served as the transport of choice for the honeymoon getaway. The car was used by the new couple for many years, before ownership passed to their son on his 30th birthday. Years later, the car moved to the Pacific Northwest to remain in the family.
The car has traveled 41,000 miles. It has been repainted and has received minor mechanical work. The car was in single-family ownership for nearly 4 decades
In 2012, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, AZ. It was estimated to sell for $35,000 - $55,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had sold for the sum of 48,400 inclusive of buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Jan 2012
This 1962 Sebring Deluxe Coupe, #52, was prepared in the Factory Competition Department for entry in the 1962 Sebring 12-Hour Race. The 1962 Deluxe Coupe represents MG's final appearance at Sebring with the MGA model and were the most highly modified and lightened of the factory efforts. Driven by England's Jack Sears and Andrew Hedges, the car finished a credible 4th in class and 16th overall in the 12-hour classic. Additionally, all three MGAs completed the race and were the only team to finish intact. #52 has been restored to its Sebring specifications and is actively vintage raced and has competed at the 50th anniversary race at Sebring, Watkins Glen, VIR and other tracks by its current owner.
Long thought to be lost to fire, this Factory Competition MGA Coupe (#53) resurfaced in the mid-2000s. A true barn find, it languished in a dirt floor garage for 4 decades. The last of the Factory Racing MGAs, GHN2/106074 is one of three lightweight Deluxe Coupes built specifically for Sebring 1962. Plexiglas rear and side windows along with fiberglass fenders were original on these cars. With the Deluxe MGAs 4-wheel disc brakes, numerous lighting modifications and a highly tuned Competitions Department 'XSP' motor, these cars were on par with the then discontinued Twin Cams. Raced by factory drivers Bob Olthoff and Sir John Whitmore, the #53 finished 6th in the 1600 GT Class and 20th overall with the MGA team finishing intact.
Sold for $33,000 at 2013 Gooding & Company. Sold for $35,200 at 2016 Gooding & Company. The MGA was the first sports car to sell in excess of 100,000 units, beginning with the earliest 1500cc XPAG-powered version. The MKII was given a new inline four-cylinder overhead valve engine displacing 1622cc and offering 90 horsepower. It was the first MG capable of exceeding 100 mph in stock form. The increase in performance prompted the factory to upgrade the MKII's brakes with the addition of Dunlop front discs, which greatly improved stopping power. The MK II also was given a revised dashboard layout.
This MGA MK II 1600 Roadster has spent nearly all of its life in California, where its second owner began a comprehensive restoration in November 1984, at approximately 92,000 miles. The engine was rebuilt in February of 1985, as was the transmission the following month. This car has recently been acquired by a Florida collector.
The car is painted in Savannah Beige with complementary Saddle leatherette seats, door panels, and dashboard. There is a tan square-weave carpeting with contrasting Saddle piping to match the seats. The car has been fitted with a tan Robbins 'Stayfast' convertible top over tan metal bows and there is a zippered tonneau cover and plastic side curtains with dividers. Accessory wind wings and sun visors, as well as a period-correct after-market bumper guard and grille protector are fitted. There are painted steel disc wheels, chromed hubcaps, and trim rings. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2013
The MGA design dates back to 1952, when designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car. The lower, modern streamlined look was a major departure for MG so it was given the MGA designation, the first of a new line. The car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955. A total of 101,081 units were sold 1955-62. In 1960 the Mark II was introduced, offering a larger, 1622 inline four-cylinder engine with twin SU carburetors producing 80 bhp @ 5500 RPM and mated to a 4-speed manual transmission. It was equipped with disc brakes on the front wheels and drums on the rear, and a higher-ratio rear axle for more relaxed high-speed driving. 8,198 MK. II roadsters and 521 coupes were built.
The car has body-on-frame construction and non-power rack-and-pinion steering. Its low styling was a dramatic break from the more upright T-type cars that had preceded it.
This example, equipped with white-wall tires and wire wheels (which were factory approved options) has won several awards, including 3rd in Class at the Hillsborough (2007 and 2008) and 1st Place MGA MKII National Award at the 2012 NAMGAR GT in Reno, NV.
The MGA began production in 1955. The styling and mechanics were different from previous MG models. The public had been given hints of its new design during the 1951 Le-Mans 24 hour endurance race. The car was driven by George Phillips and was actually a TD Midget with body modifications. The XPAG engine that had power many previous MG's was replaced by a new power-plant. This 1489 cc four-cylinder, B-series engine provided between 68 and 72 horsepower. The BMC B-series unit had made its debut in the MG Magnette saloon and proved to be a reliable and powerful engine.
To create enthusiasm for the cars prior to release, three aluminum bodied prototypes were created and dubbed EX182. They were entered into the Le Mans race where they finished fifth and sixth in their class. This epic achievement gave the MGA racing credibility and mechanical reliability.
The styling of the car was undeniably elegant. Its aerodynamic design and two-seat open-body was stylish and sporty. The vehicle sat very low to the ground providing an excellent center of gravity. This improved the handling and cornering ability. The chassis was a modified TD Midget unit with widely spaced side rails allowing for a low-seating position.
In the rear of the vehicle was a spare wheel mounted on the upper portion of the outside of the vehicle. Underneath was adequate trunk-space for luggage. At the front of the vehicle sat the engine.
Steel disc wheels were standard equipment but centre-locking wire wheels could be substituted at an additional fee. Since the car had an open top, it was subjected to the elements. A hard-top could be purchased making the vehicle more versatile.
A coupe version quickly followed and offered features such as wind-up windows, soft-top version, and other amenities that helped appeal to a wider customer base. To stay competitive on the race track, the MGA twin-cam version was introduced in 1958. This high performance version could be driven to the race track, race, and then be driven home. The engine had been modified with aluminum components, twin overhead camshafts, and dual SU carburetors. These enhancements increased the horsepower rating to 110 and the overall top speed to 115 miles-per-hour. Disc brakes replaced the drums which not only made the car more competitive, it made it safer. Unfortunately, the vehicle suffered from reliability issues and did not hold up well to the strain of racing. So in 1960, MG discontinued its production.
In 1959, MG introduced the MGA 1600's and offered them in coupe and open form. These were the standard MGA cars but with 1588 cc B-series pushrod engines. Drum brakes were used in the rear of the vehicle, but disc brakes were placed in the front.
In 1961, the MGA 1600 MKII was introduced. It featured a 1622 cc. B-series engine that was capable of producing 93 horsepower. 100 miles per hour was easily achieved by the MKII. Minor aesthetic changes were made to the front and rear of the vehicle.
In 1962, MG ceased production of the MGA. Nearly 100,000 examples had been produced during its life span making it the longest-running and best-selling MG. The success of the vehicle was in part to its styling, racing history, performance, and its competitive pricing. Many of the MGA's produced were exported to the United States. In the end and after so many years, the MGA was having trouble staying competitive with models offered by other manufacturers. By Daniel Vaughan | Jun 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona (January 13th, 2016) – Astute Collectors of the worlds most sought after and most valuable automobiles know that Scottsdale, Arizona in January is where the market values for collector...
Carroll Shelby was a member of the Ford family for the better part of 60 years, producing stunning performance vehicles from concepts to production models.
He once said his energy and passion for performance...