1959 Ferrari 250 GT TdFT
he Tour de France title was awarded to Ferrari for winning the famous French event. From 1956 through 1959, less than one-hundred 250 GT's would be given the prestigious title. Most of the interiors were handled by the famous Italian coachbuilder Scaglietti and a few by Zagato. Throughout its life span, the exterior was modified to include front wings, covered headlights, three vent side panels, single ventilation ducts, and various other enhancements. Under the hood, the horsepower ranged from 230 to 240. The engine was mostly fitted with three twin choke Weber 36 DCL downdraught carburetors. The engine was placed under the front bonnet and powered the rear transaxle. The Colombo 60-degree V-12 powerplant had a displacement of 2953 cc. The top speed, under the most modified circumstance, was around 145 mph with could go from zero to sixty in less than seven seconds. Ferrari used their all-synchromesh four-speed gearbox.
Scaglietti was commissioned to build ten of the Tour de France's in 1956. Scaglietti fabricated alloy bodywork for eight that featured the familiar egg-crate grilles and rounded wings. The fashion was similar to PininFarina's 375 Mille Miglia and 250. Both sliding plastic and wind-up glass were used for the side windows. The rear window was a wraparound windscreen. The Milan coachbuilder Zagato outfitted two examples in 1956 mainly for competition purposes. The roof was their trademark double-bubble design. To reduce the overall weight, a lightweight alloy shell was outfitted on the exterior.
In 1957, 27 more vehicles were produced. Scaglietti modified the bodywork using front wings with a portion of the vehicles receiving covered headlights and three-vent sail-panels.
In 1958, 29 examples were produced. Single ventilation ducts replaced the sail panels. In 1959, 11 more examples were produced.
The interior was modest with only the essential amenities offered. Most of the bucket seats were leather, a few were vinyl.by Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2011
Related Reading : Ferrari 250 GT History
Production of the 250 Series began in 1954 and continued on through the early part of the 1960s. There were numerous variations of the 250 and would ultimately become Ferraris most successful line of vehicles to date. The 250 is also recognized as the first Ferrari to ever receive disc brakes. This did not take place until the end of the 1950s. Also, the 250 was the first four-seater. Ferraris....Continue Reading >>
Chassis Num: 1161
Engine Num: 1161
The 250 TDF is named after the famous race the Tour de France. This race covered 3,345 miles, starting at Nice and ending in Paris, France. Designed by Pinin Faraina, famed designer Scaglietti is credited with the aesthetic appeal that is truly timel....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 1353GT
Ferrari 250 GT Tour de France with chassis 1353GT is a long wheelbase Berlinetta constructed by Scaglietti and clothed in an all-alloy body. It was purchased by Pietro Ferraro in 1959 who entered the car in the Trieste-Opicina hill climb where it fi....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 1385GT
The 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Tour de France with chassis number 1385GT was the 69th of 72 built and one of just 36 single louvre cars constructed. The first owner, a Milan resident named Sig. Luigi Piotti, took delivery of the car on May 2nd of 1959. Th....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 1357GT
This 1959 Ferrari 250GT long wheelbase Berlinetta 'Tour de France' is the 68th of 72 made. Chassis number 1357GT was sold in April 1959 to Frenchman and gentleman racer Mr. Pierre Dumay. Mr. Dumay raced 1357 in the 1959 Hillclimb season with nine v....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: 1321GT
Based on the 250GT LWB Berlinetta which won the 1957 Tour de France, Ferrari built 38 further 250GT Tour de France Single Louver Coupes for endurance racing in 1958 and 1959. This 1959 Ferrari 250 GT features coachwork by Scaglietti. Scaglietti was c....[continue reading]