The Allard J2, J2X and JR racing variants, with their high-powered American V-8 engines were very significant factors in American and road racing in the early 1950's on both coasts.....[continue reading]
Allard introduced the J2X in 1951 as an improved, extended version of the race winning J2. There were 83 J2Xs built between 1951 and 1952. This particular car was delivered to Shawnee Motor Company in Kansas on September 30, 1952. A barebone racer, i....[continue reading]
This J2X Competition #3144 is an original Cad-Allard that disappeared for over three decades leading many to suspect it was gone forever. It was purchased new in 1953 from Noel Kirk Motors in Hollywood. By 1956, it was yellow and in the movie 'Writte....[continue reading]
Allard J2X #3077 left the factory in October of 1952. One of 83 J2Xs built, it was equipped with a current Cadillac 331 cubic-inch eight-cylinder engine coupled to a three-speed Lincoln transmission. It is believed to have raced in California and its....[continue reading]
This 1952 Allard J2X is serial number 3067. It is powered by a 1957 283 cubic-inch Corvette engine with McCulloch Supercharger. It has been owned by its current owners since March of 1974. ....[continue reading]
This car has been rebuilt twice - once by owner number four and once by owner number five (current owner). The J2X series was a limited production Allard; only 83 are belived to have been built.....[continue reading]
This Aallard J2X was completed on February 4th, 1952, and arrived in the United States on April 2nd, 1952 at Perry Fina's import dealership. Finished in Old English White with a red hood, red leather trim red wire wheels and dual side mounts, a Chrys....[continue reading]
This Allard J2X was completed on March 25th of 1952 and then shipped to the United States. It was originally powered by a Chrysler Hemi engine and a three-speed Lincoln-Zephyr transmission. Chuck Freidrich converted it to Corvette power and raced it ....[continue reading]
J2X, chassis #2221 was sold new in the United States. It was imported by Major Seddon in New York and was the seventh J2X built. It was originally finished in red over a black interior. As was the practice for Allard the car was delivered with no eng....[continue reading]
Chassis #: 3026
Chassis #: 3144
Chassis #: 3077
Chassis #: 3067
Chassis #: J2X3048
Chassis #: J2X3044
Chassis #: 2221
In 1929 Sydney Herbert Allard began working in the Adlards Motors garage, an official Ford dealer, preparing racers for international motor racing. His Allard Specials quickly proved their potential and Allards reputation began to build. After racing motorcycles and three-wheeled Morgan's, he began racing four-wheeled vehicles. During World War II, the Allard Motor Company repaired military vehicles. Though their duties kept them very busy, Allard still found time to design and build sports cars.
In 1936 the first Allard Special, commonly referred to as the CLK5 because of its registration number, had been created using Ford products. It sat atop a Ford 40 chassis, outfitted with a Ford flat-head V8 engine, and given a Bugatti Type 51 body. The cockpit was pushed back as far as possible with much of the weight resting on the rear wheels. The lightweight construction and ample ground clearance made the Allard Special a formidable opponent on the racing circuit. This success translated to increased interest in a production version of the Special. Prior to World War II, a few Specials were created that were powered by the Ford V8 or a Lincoln V12. The flat-head engine and its manifold design was its Achilles heal, which often overheated at high speeds. Nevertheless, the Specials continued to be highly competitive, though produced in limited numbers.
After World War II, Allard introduced the J1. Under the hood was a 3.6 liter Ford V8 engine matted to a three-speed manual gearbox. The engine continued to suffer from overheating problems and was criticized as being underpowered. The front suspension was a split axle with a live axle in the rear. Transverse leaf springs were also used in the front and rear. The J1 carried a full body with removable wings which could be replaced with cycle fenders, leaving the J1 prepared for road and track. In total there were twelve examples of the J1 produced.
The J1 was quickly followed by the K1, a two-seater sports car. Produced in larger quantities, the K1 was profitable and provided means in which to continue their race car creations.
The next iteration of the Allard race cars was the J2, introduced in 1950 and designed similar to its J1 sibling. The transverse leaf springs of the J1 were replaced with coils and the live axle was changed in favor of a De Dion setup. The engine was moved even further back putting extra weight on the rear tires, a design Allard continued to favor. The Ford side-valve V8 was the engine of choice however a variety of engines were used including Cadillac's pushrod V8 and Chrysler's HEMI.
A year later the J2X was introduced which was nearly identical to the J2 but had its engine moved forward providing more cockpit room. The J2X Le Mans and JR were enclosed bodies and the final iteration of the J2 racer.
Sydney Allards greatest appearance at a sporting event came in 1950 when he and Tom Cole drove a J2, powered by a Cadillac engine, to a first in class victory and third overall finish at the prestigious 24 hours of Le Mans race. This was truly an impressive accomplishment and a testament to the abilities of the automobile. The Allard J1, J2, and J2X racers have dominated racing on many continents and continue to provide stiff competition in modern Historic sporting events.
In 1959 Allard was forced to cease production due to financial difficult and rising competition from other marques. A total of 1908 Allards had been constructed. By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2006Recent Vehicle Additions
RM Auctions returns to the Arizona Biltmore Resort %26 Spa in Phoenix from January 16–17 to kick off its 2014 collector car season
Expanded to two days in 2014, the well-established sale will celebr...