Henry Ford introduced his V8 engine in 1932 during difficult economical conditions of the Great Depression. In true Henry Ford fashion, it was to be produced in large numbers and at a low cost. A new version of the V8 was introduced in 1936; by now the teething problems had been resolved and horsepower rose to 85. In 1936 it was joined by a smaller 135 cubic-inch 60 horsepower version
The exterior styling was courtesy of Eugene ‘Bob' Gregory. He was hired by Edsel Ford in 1931 and soon was head of Ford's new design department in 1935. He became responsible for every Ford, Mercury and Lincoln Zephyr design produced up to 1945.
This Convertible Sedan was one of six bodystyles available on the Model 91A for 1939. It had the fewest numbers produced and came lavishly equipped with items such as Lockheed hydraulic brakes.
This car has been treated to a restoration since new. In 2007 it was brought to Carmel, California where it was offered for sale at Bonhams auction, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia. The lot was estimated to sell for $65,000 - $75,000 but failed to find an interested buyer willing to satisfy the vehicles reserve. By Daniel Vaughan | Sep 2008
Deluxe Station Wagon
This vehicle is a 1939 Ford Deluxe Woody Wagon painted in Washington Blue with a chocolate brown interior. It is an original 8 passenger woody with rear seats in excellent condition. It has been treated to a frame-up restoration with the entire wood original from the Ford plant. It has been driven a mere 21,249 miles since new. It is powered by a Ford V8 Flathead engine and mated to a 3-speed manual gearbox on the floor. This was the last year for the 3-speed floor shift controls.
This Woody is equipped with fog lights, side mirrors, banjo steering wheel, radio, clock, spare, wood grain dash, trim rings, wide whitewall tires, and a 12-volt conversion for easier driving. By Daniel Vaughan | May 2008
Sold for $209,000 at 2009 RM Sothebys. Sold for $209,000 at 2009 RM Sothebys. This Ford Deluxe Station Wagon is constructed of Birdseye Maple. The 'Birseye' is in reference to its grain patter, resembling a sea of tiny, swirling 'eyes'. It is not a species of tree, but a condition that arises from complex causes and known to occur in several types of trees, including ash, mahogany, beech, walnut and birch. The most common Birdseye is found in Acer saccharin, the sugar maple.
This 'Birdseye' formation is perhaps the result of low soil pH and a sugar deficit within the tree. It is believed that the 'eyes' are created from new shots whose growth has been aborted, leaving tiny knots, forming the birds' eyes, which become covered by the next year's grown ring. The full understanding of the process remains elusive.
The Birdseye Tree is highly prized for making fine furniture, automobile bodies, or trim.
Birdseye trees are often found in the forests of the Great Lakes region of Canada and Michigan. This was the location of Ford's Iron Mountain. Thus, it was commonly used in Ford station wagons. Some of the wagons had 'birdseye' wood, while others did not. It is even believed that Henry Ford may have retained a small inventory of Birdseye wagon parts, and used for orders from special customers or for presentation on a particular occasion.
The original owner of this wagon was a customer in the Hope Ranch section of Santa Barbara. Hope Ranch had become a residential community in the 1920s and remains a semi-autonomous section of the city today. In the 1930s, it had become an upscale community.
Later in life, this car became part of the Nick Alexander. It was given a freshening while preserving many of its original features. The roof is covered in new brown artificial leather. The glass is all original with Ford scripts. The bright-work is in excellent condition, but there is some wear on the tailgate handle. The seats are upholstered with brown leather and there are lap belts for two in the front. The spare tire is mounted behind the driver's seat under a matching cover. The dashboard is newly restored Mahogany woodgrain. The car has a radio, with windshield header antenna.
In 2009, this Ford Deluxe Station Wagon was offered for sale at the Sports & Classics of Monterey auction in Monterey, California presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $150,000-$200,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for the sum of $209,000 including buyer's premium. By Daniel Vaughan | Dec 2009
High bid of $80,000 at 2010 RM Sothebys. (did not sell) Sold for $60,500 at 2013 RM Sothebys. Sold for $77,000 at 2014 RM Sothebys. Ford produced 6,155 DeLuxe Wagons in 1939. They wore lumber harvested at Ford's own timber mill in Iron Mountain, Michigan. This example has been given a ground-up restoration in Washington Blue. There are rubber running board covers, rides on wide whitewall bias-ply tires, and has painted steel wheels with stainless trim rings and center caps. Ford script bumper-mounted fog lights have been added. Inside is brown leather interior, banjo steering wheel, and exquisite gauges. The engine is a flathead V-8 engine displacing 221 cubic-inches and offering 85 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
Sold for $54,000 at 2016 Mecum. The Ford Deluxe was placed above the Standard line and below the Lincoln division.
This particular Convertible has an older restoration and features a Banjo steering wheel, a factory radio and woodgrain in dashboard and moldings, Dietz driving lights, dual outside mirrors, whitewall tires, stainless hubcaps and trim rings, a locking gas cap and Ford script glass. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2016
The Ford DeLuxe was produced from 1937 through 1940. The styling was influenced by Edsel Ford and borrowed many cues from the Lincoln Zephyr. One of the more noticeable Zephyr influences was the oval headlights that were incorporated into the front fenders. Other front-end features were V-shaped grille and vertical bars. The 221 cubic-inch eight-cylinder engine was carefully hidden under the sweeping bonnet. The 85 horsepower that was produced was sent to the rear wheels through a three-speed manual transmission. The four-wheel hydraulic brakes brought the vehicle to a stop. By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2006