1936 Lincoln Model K Series 300
ecoming a vehicle that was known for luxury, Lincoln underwent a total transformation in 1931. Re-powered, re-styled, and becoming lower-priced, this entire transformation was done under the censorship of Edsel Ford. The Lincoln Model K replaced the Model L, and only a total of forty-five models were ever produced.
With an increased horsepower from 90 to 120, the newly added Stromberg carburetor increased the engine with 384.8 cubic inches. With a price significantly lower than any other Lincolns, the Model K 7-passenger Touring vehicle was used primarily as a limousine. Though at $4,400, the model K still cost ten times the amount of a Ford.
The largest updates were contained in the body style. The wheelbase was now increased to 145 inches with a longer hood and rounded bumpers which now gave it a low and sleek profile. Dual trumpet horns and large bowl-shaped headlights now gave the front a stunning look. Utilized mainly as a limousine, sales were less than half of what they were in the late 1920s due to the Depression.
A reflection of the earlier Ford Model K, the Lincoln K-series was a luxury vehicle line that was produced until 1942. A V12 became standard in 1933, while the original K-Series featured a 385 in³ (6.3 L) V8. The option of ordering a fully custom coachwork was available for customers.
Appearing on a new chassis in 1931, the original Model K had a 145 in (3683 mm) wheelbase. Available as a dual cowl model, factory bodies were a 2 or 4-door phaeton. A derivative of the earlier L-series 60° V8, the 384.8 in³ (6.3 L) engine had a dual downdraft Stromberg carburetors, altered timing upped power to 120 hp (89 kW), and higher compression.
Splitting into two lines in 1932, the Lincoln K-series featured the carryover Model KA and the new V12-powered Model KB. The engine output was pushed to 125 hp (93 kW) while the V8 car reverted to a 136 in (3454 mm) wheelbase. Producing 150 hp (112 kW), the KB featured the marque's new V12, 447.9 in³ (7.3 L) 65° L-head unit. These two new lines featured a new grille with less of a surround, and vent doors rather than vertical louvers on the sides of the hood. Both series also featured a parking light on top of each front fender and 18-inch wire wheels.
The Model KA V8 engine was replaced in 1933 with a new 381.7 in³ (6.3 L) V12. The large KB engine shared very few similarities with this new L-head engine. Only a few minor changes that were readily visible occurred on the 1933 K-series. The return of hood louvers and the deletion of the bar linking the headlights were by far the most obvious updates. The chassis was also revised, along with thermostatic shock absorbers and transmission.
In 1934, the V12 engines were replaced by a single 414 in³ (6.8 L) version of the updated model KA V12. The KA and KB nameplates now denoted the wheelbase only. For this year, the only styling updates included the replacement again of the louvers with doors on the side of the hood and a body-colored grille surround.
For 1935, the Lincoln line was trimmed down considerable, as all vehicles were simply referred to as the Model K. Putting focus on the lofty over-$4,000 segment, the marque was attempting to improve profitability, though unfortunately limiting sales in the depression devastated the US.
The following year, a more modern Lincoln Zephyr was debuted. Costing much less, the Model K's days were considerably numbered. However, despite its high $4700 price-tag, a 7-passenger Model K limousine was the marque's best-selling model for 1936. A new and improved raked windshield and pressed steel wheels were also part of this year's update.
Continuing in production for the next five more years, the Model K, unfortunately, faced a decrease in sales in comparison to the more modern Zephyr and the new flagship Continental which became more appealing to buyers. Though production was mostly ended with the 1939 model year, one final Model K, the 1942 model was a one-off 'Sunshine Special' convertible limousine that was built especially for President Roosevelt.By Jessica Donaldson
Chassis Num: K6702
Lincoln was one of the few luxury car builders that survived the Great Depression and continued in the years that followed in its wake. One of the major factors to their survival was the considerable resources of the Ford Motor Company, and Edsel Fo....[continue reading]
This was one of the first cars restored by the Canton Classic Automobile Museum founder Marshall Belden. He used the car on his honeymoon and as a daily driver in his oil exploration efforts.....[continue reading]
Brunn & Company of Buffalo, N.Y. was a favorite coachbuilder of Edsel Ford's. One of the body styles the company developed was the cabriolet, in collapsible and semi-collapsible style.....[continue reading]
LeBaron produced 25 examples of the two-passenger coupe on the Model K chassis for 1936. Powered by a 414-cubicinch V-12 engine, the LeBaron Coupe offered its owners the ultimate in intimate luxury transportation. ....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: K6276
Engine Num: K6276
The Lincoln Motor Company was in bankruptcy when Henry Ford purchased it from Henry Leland. This was a triumph for Ford since Leland led a group that had ousted Ford from the first Henry Ford Company and renamed the company Cadillac. Edsel Ford took ....[continue reading]
Chassis Num: K6205
The Lincoln Model K was offered from 1935 through 1940 and wore bodies produced by factory craftsmen and custom coachbuilders. The custom bodies were called 'semi-customs' as they were ordered in small series and finished with trim and paint at the L....[continue reading]
Brougham by Brunn
Chassis #: K6702
Collapsible Convertible by Brunn
Convertible Victoria by Brunn
Chassis #: K6276
Convertible Sedan Phaeton by LeBaron
Chassis #: K6205