Sold for $135,000 at 2009 The Scottsdale Auction : Gooding & Company.Sold for $192,500 at 2013 RM Auctions - Arizona.
Stanley H. 'Wacky' Arnolt was one of the first individuals to offer a sports car after World War II. His vehicle had Italian styling coupled with British mechanicals. Bristol was contracted to handle the underpinnings and design courtesy of Bertone's Franco Scaglione. Under the lightweight bonnet was a six-cylinder engine derived from BMW's 328.
This 1959 Arnolt-Bristol Deluxe Roadster was originally purchased by W.M. Hurt of New Jersey. It is believed it was used by Mr. Hurt in competition for some time. These beliefs are reinforced with the optional front sway bar, larger brake drums, and adjustable torsion bars that were fitted at the factory.
The second owner was James Rogers who began a restoration, bringing it back to its original glory. It has been shown at the 2008 Masterpiece Concours in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where it received a Best in Class award and Best Open Post-War Sports Car award.
The car has side curtains and a full tonneau cover. There is a four-speed manual transmission and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. In the front is an independent suspension with a rear setup consisting of adjustable torsion bars.
In 2009, this Deluxe Roadster was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona where it was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $225,000. The lot was sold for the sum of $135,000, including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009
An American engineer named Stanley Harold 'Wacky' Arnolt was working for Waukesha Engineering Company during 1939 when the company went bankrupt. As payment for the work Stanley had done, he was awarded a patent for an outboard motor. In two short years, Arnolt had purchased two factories and production of the 'Arnolt-SeaMite' engines for American Marine was in production day and night. As a result, Arnolt made a fortune. By the end of World War II, Wacky had six factories. He switched production from engines to domestic appliances.
Arnolt ordered 200 MG TD's from Nuccio Bertone. He sold all two-hundred in the United States as Arnolt-MGs. Though they may not have been extremely fast, they were exquisit to behold. This success inspired Arnolt to continue to purchase vehicles, outfit them using famous coachwork builders, and then re-sell them to the public.Arnolt Bristol
During the early 1950's, Arnolt realized a market for sports cars in the United States. Using a Bristol 400 chassis, modifications were named and the result was dubbed the 404. In 1954, the Arnolt Bristol was in production and featured Bertone supplied bodies. They featured hand-formed steel body and aluminum-skinned hoods. The similarities between the Shelby Cobra's and the 'Bolide' are undeniable.
The 'Bolide' was a true racing bred sports car. Without a top, carpeting, windshield wipers, or adjustable seats, the car was void of amenities and very light-weight. A 'DeLux' option was available that included these items, different dashboard, and instruments in front of the driver.
The suspension was comprised of independently sprung front wheels, wishbone arms and a transverse multi-leaf spring and anti-roll bar. The steering was rack-and-pinion.
In 1955, an Arnolt Bristol finished first in class at the 12-Hours of Sebring. Two other Arnolts finished second and fourth. The racing team, owned by the Arnolt Company, went on to win its class at Sebring in 1956 and 1960. Privately owned Arnolt Bristols were frequently seen racing in SCCA E-Production classes.
In total, only 142 Arnolt Bristols were created. Three were coupes, a few were powered by Chevrolet V8's, and a few were all-aluminum bodied cars.By Daniel Vaughan | Aug 2007