The Peerless Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio manufactured clothes wringers prior to their entry into automobile production. In 1901, the company took a license from DeDion in France to build the 'Motorette,' a single-cylinder tricycle. Within a few years, the company had expanded to include 24- and 35-horsepower fours with touring and limousine bodies. In 1908, the company added a 50-horsepower six to their line-up. The 30 horsepower fours, introduced in 1908, would be a staple in the company's catalog until 1912.
This Peerless Model 30 wears a Brewster body and was in the Tallman Collection for about 12 years. It was purchased new by Edward Litchfield in New York and was once part of the James Melton, Henry Austin Clark, Jr. and William Donze. The car wears an older restoration which remains presentable in modern times. The body features rear quarter windows which retract into the body while their upper and rear frames fold down with the landaulet top.
There is a red leather top, black fenders and cream-painted chassis with red pinstripes. For convenience, an electric starter has been installed. Inside, the upholstery is in red woven fabric and there are side-fold jump seats. Instrumentation consists of a Warner 'Auto-Meter' 60-mpg speedometer in front and a clock. The engine is a 410 cubic-inch T-head four-cylinder engine offering 30 horsepower. There is a four-speed manual gearbox and two-wheel mechanical drum brakes.
By Daniel Vaughan | May 2011
In 2011, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions.