Chassis Num: 1994632
Engine Num: 2085501
Sold for $18,700 at 2011 Gooding & Company
Buick's Standard Six and their Master Six were dramatically restyled for 1928. They were given plain crown fenders, bullet-type headlights, sculpted cowl, hood and radiator contours and a reconfigured chassis which allowed the bodies to be built lower. Engineering advances also accompanied the 1928 models, with such improvements as an H-pattern shifter, hydraulic shock absorbers and a revised valve design.
Buick produced 102,409 examples of the Master Six in 1928, and just over 9,000 of those were the Opera Coupe.
This example was owned by Charles J. Fox of Franklin Lakes, New Jersey during the early 1970s. It was sold to Michael Pfefferkorn by the end of the decade. During his ownership, the Buick earned a First Prize at the Crestwood Lake Anniversary Meet as well as an award from the Smoke Rise Antique Car Show.
Tommy Keister purchased the car in 2001 and sold it two years later to the Nethercutt Collection.
This car is finished in blue with black fenders and cream pin-striping. It has a long-grain top covering, Tilt-Ray headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, chrome bumpers, artillery wheels with a natural finish and whitewall tires. Inside, there is patterned mohair plush upholstery and there are flower vases, a carpeted footrest and a fold-away front seat.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale, Az. It was estimated to sell for $20,000 - $30,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $18,700 including buyer's premium.By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2011
Buick used the Master Six name beginning in the mid-1920s. The 1925 Buick used the same engine used in the 24-Six of 1924. Several new body styles became available during this year. The Standard Six engine produced 50 horsepower while the Master Six was fitted with a 70 horsepower engine. The Standard Six bodystyles rested on a wheelbase that measured 114.3-inches while the Master Six had a 120- or 128-inch platform.
The name Master Six would continue through 1928. By 1928, the horsepower in the Standard Six was rated at 63 horsepower while the Master Six had 77 horsepower.
By Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2009